Concealed carry and making your clothes last longer.

This is a discussion on Concealed carry and making your clothes last longer. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying concealed for over a year now. My clothes, especially pants, are wearing out prematurely. When using a Crossbreed style holster, the back ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concealed carry and making your clothes last longer.

I've been carrying concealed for over a year now. My clothes, especially pants, are wearing out prematurely. When using a Crossbreed style holster, the back click rubs a hole in the pants. Shifting the holster to different areas doesn't not seem to help. Anyone else have/had this issue? How did you deal with it?

Thanks in advance!

I have been carrying for about two years, also using a Crossbreed style holster, and have not had any problems with excessive wear in my pants. Are you putting the clips over your belt when wearing the holster ?. If not, then that's the problem.

Yeah, my pants are fine. It is my polo's that take a beating from my trijicon's. Looks like moth holes around my hips

Thats why I mostly wear loops, I do have a rosen clip but its new so not sure. Where I had my problem was just throwing my 642 in my pocket. It was wearing out the pockets. Thats where being older has its good things. My wife actually can sew and has beefed up my pockets for carry.

I just found out about a new shirt size that is between XL and 2XL. It is called XLX. Many of the upscale shirt sellers have these now. In A 2XL I look too big (read that as almost a tent). In an XL I print and the chest is tight. The XLX is the perfect middle ground for me. I found them at the Tommy Bahama store. These are button up the front shirts with pockets. I wear reading glasses so I need a place for them. Now I am looking to replace my 2XL shirts that have the tear away sides for access to my gun in this size. Styles and sizes change every day it seems.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I had a pair of dress pants that started showing wear in the back when I wore my Crossbreed. The solution, get the smooth part of sticky backed Velcro and place it over the screw...problem solved

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My Cross wears the inside of my pants and I believe its because the rig has such a big footprint I switched to leather loops to see if they will cause less wear but I found that Blackhawk tactical pants are a lot tougher than 5.11 or several of the others. Soon as spare change comes along will be trying a SHTF rig and see if overall size being smaller may help with problem.

I need to buy a better quality Tee shirt. When i get those thin cotton ones from Wal-Mart, they tend to develop worm holes around my AIWB. I have a few thicker Sports logo shirts (NY Yankees to be exact) that hold up great.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've been using a CBST for almost five years. But, I haven't had any problems carrying AIWB using "J" clips or "Velcro" clips.

-

I've noticed small holes around where I carry on several of my T shirts. I carry in a MTAC with the kydex C clips. No jagged edges or anything so what is the exact cause of the small holes?

No Crossbreed holster, here.

My pants with lighter material do seem to get a bit of "wear" discoloration at the spots where the edges of the clips dig into the cloth. But I have yet to experience any signs of wear no matter how much I carry, on any pants or shirts made of sufficiently durable/dense cloth. (ie, a ~7oz Beefy-T shirt, versus a run-of-the-mill ~5oz T.)

Can go to leather loops instead of hard metal clips, as well. That sort of change can help avoid wear due to making the contact point softer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    When I retired from police work I didn't have a single suit or sportcoat that had not had the lining repaired on the right side where my pistol rubbed against it. Carrying a semi with an untucked shirt or tee shirt will eventually cause tiny nicks or cuts in the fabric from bumping into things or sitting in a chair with arms. If you carry all the time the gun finish is not the only thing that suffers.
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    I've been carrying concealed for over a year now. My clothes, especially pants, are wearing out prematurely. When using a Crossbreed style holster, the back click rubs a hole in the pants. Shifting the holster to different areas doesn't not seem to help. Anyone else have/had this issue? How did you deal with it?

Thanks in advance!
    J-clips. Man, my clothes only lasted about a year before I carried. Jclips should help you though. They are designed with the top of the pants and the bottom of the belt doing the work. No pressure required. AND, you can have super strong retention, because they keep the holster from drawing with the gun.
    Something witty

I need to try some different clips it would seem. My belt is Lenwood gun fighter's belt so that part of the equation shouldn't be an issue.

WOW.
    Excellent topic. I've been dealing with this for about 5yrs or so.
    Just about all of my jeans have wear holes from my M16 CRKT's thumb stud.
    Many of my shirts (T's and button) have the "moth holes" from my carry pistol- either from the grips (I use the aggressive ergo 1911 grips) or the magwell guide pinning the shirt to the seat while I'm driving.
    I have worn holes in my support side rear pocket carrying a spare mag (loose and at times in a pocket carrier)
    Also the "moth holes" are easily found by the clip on my folder.

Unexpected expense for daily carry.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links