Texas carry question

This is a discussion on Texas carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Tennessee and have a TN HCP. I know that both Arkansas and Texas have reciprocity, so I am not worried about the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lionround

Thread: Texas carry question

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar

Texas carry question

I live in Tennessee and have a TN HCP. I know that both Arkansas and Texas have reciprocity, so I am not worried about the driving part. My cousin has a boat and we are going to go fishing in Galveston Bay. Does anyone have or can refer me to some statute that covers me while carrying on his boat?
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

2. Remove Ads

Can't recall specific statutes regarding carry in a boat. Bottom line is (you've read it a million times) concealed means concealed.
    Hope the fish are biting!
    Regards,
    OldGringo
    Thin Blue Line - LEMC
    Victory Riders Association
    Patriot Guard Riders
    "Standing for those who stood for us"

VIP Member
    From handgunlaw.us (http://handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf):

A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about
    his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the
    person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view
    ; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of
    a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01

Like OldGringo said: keep it concealed.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Thanks, Guys!! Tuesday is my 58th birthday and I can hardly wait. I am taking my 15 year old grandson with me. I don't believe he has ever been on a boat.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    If you travel across with the Galveston ferry,they do random searches of vehicles. They have never checked me,seem to pick on people in their 70's and above. Not sure what they ask for,I.D. maybe.They walk around the car with a mirror on a stick of some type. My understanding is the ferry is considered a continuation of the roadway in Texas so I never worried about it. Never saw any signs related to guns on the ferry. Of course,I don't have any guns,just here for research.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Mr. Stuart, I don't think we are taking the ferry, it should not be a problem. Thanks.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Links