I hate getting pulled over...

This is a discussion on I hate getting pulled over... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm all giddy, cause there was a gunshop that had 9mm, 38 special and .380 ammo. I got to handle the LCR, SR9c, SR9 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: I hate getting pulled over...

I hate getting pulled over...

So I'm all giddy, cause there was a gunshop that had 9mm, 38 special and .380 ammo. I got to handle the LCR, SR9c, SR9 and a host of other guns I've only read about. Then on my way home I was going 65 in a 55 and a state trooper passed me going the other way. He immediately turns around, on a 2 lane hwy, and starts coming at me lights a flashing. I knew he was after me, so rather than play coy, I turned off on the next county road before he even gets to me and park on the side of the road. Now I still dont have my carry permit yet, but from threads I've read on here, to make the trooper more comfortable, I put my hands on the steering wheel and wait for him to get there.

He comes up, puts his thumb on my car, then smiles down at me and I roll down the window. The exchange goes like this:

LEO: Do you have a gun?

Me: No, sir.

LEO: Oh, well I saw your hands on the steering wheel and usually people do that to tell us their carrying.

Me: No, but I've applied for my permit and I've been reading up on stuff and figured you'd feel safer either way.

LEO: (He smiles) Yeah, that's much better than people that are fidgeting around the whole time. Well, the reason I pulled you over was because you were going a little fast.

Me: Yeah, I noticed that.

LEO: Can I see you license please?

Me: Yeah, give me a second. (I then take my hands off the wheel, unbuckle my seatbelt and get my license.)

LEO: Alright, give me a minute. (After a few minutes he comes back with a print out) Ok, here's your license back. And I just gave you a warning, drive safely.

Me: I appreciate it, officer, you too.

So I've lived in Indiana a long time, and I've never heard of a state trooper handing out a warning. So I could say me getting into guns saved me from getting a ticket. Though, I wouldnt have been out that way if I wasnt going to buy ammo lol. Either way, thanks for the advice I've been given so far on these forums. This saved me $150.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Good for you and common sense is always the best approach if carrying or not, my only suggestion always be aware and that includes your speed

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Good encounter, glad it turned out well for you.

VIP Member
    I have meet a few Leo's the same way you did and all of them have been real nice, even the ones that have given me a ticket(s) most have been just warnings . But on the same note i have not tryed to BS them they have heard all the stories . I would just tell them they were hiding good or in a good spot if they hit me with radar.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Sounds like a good stop

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    ... but from threads I've read on here, to make the trooper more comfortable, I put my hands on the steering wheel and wait for him to get there.

LEO: Oh, well I saw your hands on the steering wheel and usually people do that to tell us their carrying.

Me: No, but I've applied for my permit and I've been reading up on stuff and figured you'd feel safer either way.

LEO: (He smiles) Yeah, that's much better than people that are fidgeting around the whole time.

So I've lived in Indiana a long time, and I've never heard of a state trooper handing out a warning.
    A little appreciation for what LEO's go through on a daily basis can go a long way. Looks like your acknowledgment of that, at the time, was duly appreciated. Had you been going an ugly speed and been a danger to others, I'm sure nothing would have helped. But you took some pains to make his side of things as non-threatening as possible. Always worth doing, regardless.

And, the officer's correct: getting "into" guns (what with the whole change in mindset, awareness) will tend to help slow you down a bit, avoid the little things in life that tick others off (ie, road ragers), etc. One of the nice little side benefits to going down this whole path of thinking.

Congrats on the new CHL that's coming, BTW.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Good story. Thanks for posting it. You did everything right.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Maybe he appreciated being treated with courtesy and respect, and returned the treatment.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

these day every traffic stop is a crap shoot. you just don't know what you are going to find in the vehicle. it is best to not to act like a butt head. keep your cool and most of the time all you will get is a warning.
    Taurahe likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Ive been let off with warnings a couple of times. I know I was in the wrong and was polite to the officer. Respect goes a long way. I was in a semi both times and they could have given me a ticket. But it went well. I drive the speed limit and use my cruise control a lot more now.

im still waiting on my chl. i always have my gun with me in my car any way makes me feel safer, any way got pulled over with my sigma 9mm and took out the mag threw it on the dash and had both hands on the wheel, when he walked up he didn't even see it he started talking and i cut him off telling him i have a pistol, he says ok were and it was right their infront of his eyes. he took it and the mags while running my name. brought it back and said have a good day, no ticket. he said i should get my chl and i told him im waiting for it in the mail right now. cops around here are pretty lenient with guns.

Where in Indiana do you live? And yeah, I've NEVER gotten a warning from a state cop.

I'd say the stop went rather well. If you have tinted windows, remember to roll them down at least half way before the LEO approaches so he can see inside the vehicle.

Of course if you really hate getting pulled over you could always slow down.
    Taurahe likes this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a great stop to me. Hard to complain when you get a warning.

I've only been pulled over by a statey once and he wasn't as forgiving.
    Taurahe and SmokinFool like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Carrying or not, its just common courtesy to keep your hands where they can be seen. A man who spends his day dealing with potential trouble needs a break.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links