church, smartcarry, big thumbs up

This is a discussion on church, smartcarry, big thumbs up within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only carried for a couple days. My mom sings in the choir at her church and they were having a fund raiser for a ...

Thread: church, smartcarry, big thumbs up

VIP Member

I've only carried for a couple days. My mom sings in the choir at her church and they were having a fund raiser for a trip. So concert and banquet afterwords.
    I wore cargo pants and a polo shirt tucked in. I used my smartcarry for the first time out anywhere ( tried it around the house ) , and it fit the bill. I carry a 642. I found that if i push it over just a tad to the left of center , there is no printing whatsoever. It was so comfortable i forgot i had it on. almost 300 people under florescent lights and i felt totally at ease. My mom would have freaked had she known i was carrying in a church.. heaven forbid.......

I love my SmartCarry for just the reasons you stated. Practice drawing with an EMPTY gun. You will get surprisingly quick. Also practice from the seated postion. I am using one with my S&W Model 60 right now.

Look at some small grips, like the Hogue Bantam style (wood or rubber) to minimize printing. If you do print and someone comments just smile!

Almost forgot. I have the full size Smart Carry and it works fine with my 60. I am also able to put two Bianchi Speed Strips in the left side mag pocket, one on top of the other (5 rounds in each). The bottom one would be a little difficult to pull out, if I needed it I would find a way, but the top one projects enough to get a firm and easy grip on the strip and pull it out for a reload.

Senior Moderator
    I too, Love the Smartcarry. It works when nothing else will. Like Musk... said pratice drawing with an empty gun you will get faster. You will never win any fast draw competitions but it is surprising how easy you can draw with practice

Smartcarry is a great option for when you need deap concealment. I also use it around the house when I'm in my PJs and no gun belt is available.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yeah, I agree. It's underrated. I love mine. They may not work for everyone, but I wear mine 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fantastic option.

Assistant Administrator
    I doubt mine sees use even twice a year but heck - when deep has to be DEEP - it is the real deal.

I very much doubt I will ever be totally comfortable with mine but hey - I don't practice with it much. The cost was justified really just by having it available, if I need it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

One thing I have learned reading various forums is that holsters are a very personal choice. I have tried various IWB holsters and the only truly comfortable one I own is the smart carry! The SC is excellent for concealment and IMO, is very comfortable. I carry a G27 or my H&K USP .40C.

I am still looking for other options, but spending several hundred $'s for just trying out holsters is only going to get me a collection of holsters I don't use....like most CCW holders.

The SC was perfect this past summer with just shorts and a t-shirt.

VIP Member
    Ive practiced with it and it does get easier.
    It gets sweltering hot here in kentucky in the summer and i can see wearing the smartcarry most of the time with shorts and a tee. The thing i like about it is i can still tuck in a shirt and its fine. Another good thing is its probably the last place someone is going to discover you're carrying. I wear OWB when i know i can conceal with a jacket or something. Nice to have options.

VIP Member
    My Sunday go to meetin' duds include Thunderwear! (same as Smartcarry) That's generally the only time I use it.

I carry a Glock 27 in mine. Another poster accused me of "false advertising"! Who... me?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

So..I am looking at commander sized 1911's - how comfortable is the SmartCarry when sitting?

Thanks!!

Mark

Senior Moderator
    I'm wearing my smartcarry while typing this, I don't really know that it is there. It is the most comfortable off all ways I've tried carrying (IWB, OWB) carrying.

VIP Member
    I think it's an inconvenience when taking a leak but certainly worth the hassle!
    I also don't think about it much when sitting etc. but a 1911? Why not? I think my G-27 is as big as I'd want to go but I do know one guy who carries a SIG P-229!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    So..I am looking at commander sized 1911's - how comfortable is the SmartCarry when sitting?

Thanks!!

Mark
    smart carry is very comfortable when sitting. but i carry a 642 and have nothing else to compare..

VIP Member
    occasionally I use my SC for my HK .45 and my glock 30 with no problem, great for highest level of concealment
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I've only carried for a couple days. My mom sings in the choir at her church and they were having a fund raiser for a trip. So concert and banquet afterwords.
    I wore cargo pants and a polo shirt tucked in. I used my smartcarry for the first time out anywhere ( tried it around the house ) , and it fit the bill. I carry a 642. I found that if i push it over just a tad to the left of center , there is no printing whatsoever. It was so comfortable i forgot i had it on. almost 300 people under florescent lights and i felt totally at ease. My mom would have freaked had she known i was carrying in a church.. heaven forbid.......
    Agreed! I put mine a little left of center and find it more comfortable especially when sitting. I have danced, bowled, played golf and attended many formal gatherings (church, funerals, etc.) and have never come close to being made.

Links