Bone Head Mistake; has anyone done this before?

This is a discussion on Bone Head Mistake; has anyone done this before? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night before I left to help the Bellevue PD with our VIPS group I unloaded and checked my cc pistol. When I got to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Bone Head Mistake; has anyone done this before?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Last night before I left to help the Bellevue PD with our VIPS group I unloaded and checked my cc pistol. When I got to the police station I disarmed and put my pistol in the trunk. After our detail was finished I went back to the police station to get my car and drive home. When I retrieved my pistol from the trunk I noticed I hadn't replaced my loaded mag into my G19 before I left my house. I did have a round chambered though. In 20 years this has never happened to me. Just a reminder to check, double check and check again!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

GH
    I can't say that's ever happened to me, Erich. Not saying it won't ever happen but I have sort of a ritual when I put my holster & gun on. Then I check & double check. Your little forgetfulness makes the old saying of making the first round count has some true meaning there, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Nope.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    I have several guns that I carry in several different holsters. The ones not being currently carried are located at various locations in my home unless I am away, in which case they go in the safe. I follow one simple rule: if a gun is in a holster, it is locked and loaded, no exceptions. If for any reason it is to be separated from its holster, it is immediately unloaded, cleared and locked to the rear. Again, no exceptions. Upon its return to the holster, it is once again locked and loaded. Having gotten into this habit, it eliminates uncertainty.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I can't say that's ever happened to me, Erich. Not saying it won't ever happen but I have sort of a ritual when I put my holster & gun on. Then I check & double check. Your little forgetfulness makes the old saying of making the first round count has some true meaning there, lol.
    I agree, sure glad you didn't need it, easy no harm lesson, and I bet it be at least 20 years before you have same issue because you had this one.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    You are human, and mistakes happen. All you can do is learn from it.

Look at it this way - the mistake did not result in a discharge. Be thankful that the reminder was a gentle one.
    phreddy likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I have never done that, but that doesnt mean that I am above it. You had a specific event happen. We have all made a mistake a time or two....
    ericb327 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post

... I hadn't replaced my loaded mag into my G19 before I left my house. I did have a round chambered though.
    Nope. You're the only one. Nee-ner, nee-ner, neeeeeeee-ner.

Yup, the routine checking is worthwhile: gun w/ mag; spare mags; concealed ... check. Not to say it catches everything, but avoiding the sort of situation you just experienced is one of the fears I've got. Complacency, failure to check, whatever: it all ends up being the same thing, missing something that could be problematic if S were to HTF.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If your Glock 30 doesn't have a mag in it, you'll know when you pick it up.
    locotest and ericb327 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sounds like you had several things on your mind at once and IMHO can lead to problems with firearms.Sounds like a good reminder that in the future when manipulating your firearm you stay focused on the task at hand,I carried my 1911 Commander for a day once with the mag out,I did have 2 spare mags,but only had 1 round ready to go
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hey, one cartridge was enough for Barney Fife! Glad there were no ill effects.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have several guns that I carry in several different holsters. The ones not being currently carried are located at various locations in my home unless I am away, in which case they go in the safe. I follow one simple rule: if a gun is in a holster, it is locked and loaded, no exceptions. If for any reason it is to be separated from its holster, it is immediately unloaded, cleared and locked to the rear. Again, no exceptions. Upon its return to the holster, it is once again locked and loaded. Having gotten into this habit, it eliminates uncertainty.
    That's a pretty solid rule. Going to adopt that myself.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    It happened to me but not by my doings. I never check my weapon because it is always loaded.

We had some company come over and the visitors had young children. MY sidearm was on the dresser. The wife unloaded it and put it in a drawer. I came in and she did not mention it. The next day I was getting dressed for work and asked where my gun went. She told me where she placed it and why.

Three hrs later she called to mention that she had unloaded it prior to putting it in the drawer. I had been carrying it in the worst part of town and it unloaded.

Never again
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I find is easier to limit the times I unload my gun to be the times I'm pulling the trigger.
    oldman45 and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I follow one simple rule: if a gun is in a holster, it is locked and loaded, no exceptions. If for any reason it is to be separated from its holster, it is immediately unloaded, cleared and locked to the rear. Again, no exceptions. Upon its return to the holster, it is once again locked and loaded.
    That's a good rule. I had never thought about it, but my rule of operation is similar: Any handgun not in a holster has no business being chambered up and ready to go. If it is in a holster, it will ALWAYS be ready to run. Both shotguns and both carbines have a full magazine but empty chamber, safety set to "fire".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links