Guy's shirt pulled up

Guy's shirt pulled up

This is a discussion on Guy's shirt pulled up within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at my favorite breakfast spot in Plano this morning. An older gentleman and his wife, at a table about 20 feet from me, were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Guy's shirt pulled up

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar

Guy's shirt pulled up

Was at my favorite breakfast spot in Plano this morning. An older gentleman and his wife, at a table about 20 feet from me, were getting up to leave. When he stood up, the back of his shirt got pulled up, revealing his gun, in an OWB holster at about 5:00. It was visible for a good 15 seconds before he put his jacket on - so I am thinking he had no idea his gun was showing (he didn't pull his shirt down first).

Question - should I have discreetly let him know? I feel like we (CHL holders) are part of a "club", and we need to look out for each other's best interest. Of course me getting up and approaching the guy would have created more of a commotion, so I elected not to do anything.

Note that in TX, failure to conceal must be intentional to get you in hot water. But a concerned citizen can make it inconvenient for you if they freak out and call the police.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Always a judgement call. If the guy was behaving normally, I'd let him know.

If the shoe were on the other foot, and someone told me I exposed, and explained they just wanted me to know so I didn't get hassled (given the law is concealed only), I would appreciate it.

To me it's no different than telling someone their tire is low or one of their taillights is out.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Personally I see no reason to get involved over a 15 second display. Maybe if he was unintentionally showing and his firearm had no hope of getting covered up, then it might be nice to discreetly mention it, but just a quick show while he's stretching to get ready to go? No...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If he wasn't wearing a hoodie drawn snug around the face, I wouldn't be too concerned. If he was near by I might say, "Cover up," but if waalking away I wouldn't chase hm down.
    NONAME762 and bigmacque like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The other night at our local gun club meeting I noticed a guy that seemed to be exposing his gun,I said your showing,he looked at his zipper,I said nope your carry gun,he turned and it was a cell phone,but from a front on view it looked like a holstered gun
    pittypat21 and perfection like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My question would be so what.
    glockman10mm likes this.

I might have discreetly whispered something depending on the circumstances. I would want a fellow carrier to tell me discreetly. I think the issue here is that the gentleman was exposed for 15 seconds that he didn't want to be. He made a correctable mistake, but he can't correct it unless he knows about it. That's 15 seconds that he had a gigantic "shoot me first" sign on. I would want to make sure I didn't put that sign out again.
    NONAME762 and tdave like this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    A couple of thoughts on this incident.

1. If TX would approve OC, then there would not be any issue at all. People with guns would be very common.

2. If a person wanted to mention that someone's sidearm was showing, a polite way to do so would be to mention to the man that you noticed his gun and wondered how he liked his gun for concealed carry. Any gun owner enjoys discussing the firearms.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I feel like we (CHL holders) are part of a "club", and we need to look out for each other's best interest. Of course me getting up and approaching the guy would have created more of a commotion
    Though CHL holders may be a "club", we're a club that by definition, you should rarely know when you come across another member... and not everyone who you see with a gun on his hip is part of that club. If he is part of the club, it's his job to do it the right way, and not your job to call him out if he slips up for a moment. And you're right, notifying him would have brought more attention to him.

Bottom line, when CHL in a public area, just stay in your lane. Watch the other lanes, as part of situational awareness, but stay in your lane. Think of yourself as an ordinary guy, until the time your life is threatened, at which point you happen to have a tool with which to defend yourself.

VIP Member
    You could have just screamed out "OMG!!!!!! MWAG......MWAG!!!". I'm sure when he reached for his, he'd realize it was exposed and probably come over and thank you.
    Badey and accessbob like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You could have just screamed out "OMG!!!!!! MWAG......MWAG!!!". I'm sure when he reached for his, he'd realize it was exposed and probably come over and thank you.
    Oh yeah...sure he would
    Ghost1958 and perfection like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Question - should I have discreetly let him know? I feel like we (CHL holders) are part of a "club", and we need to look out for each other's best interest. Of course me getting up and approaching the guy would have created more of a commotion, so I elected not to do anything.
    I probably wouldn't do anything if the display were brief and seemed to be going unnoticed.

If I were in a position to do so easily, I might let the man know he's showing... like I'd let someone know they have a booger hanging out of their nose. (Discreetly, with a ).

I'd hope someone would do the same for me.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

MrsHB you have a BOOGER HANGING OUT OF YOUR NOSE, oops that's not discreet is it..

Quote Originally Posted by locotest View Post
    MrsHB you have a BOOGER HANGING OUT OF YOUR NOSE, oops that's not discreet is it..
    Shouting something like that is far from discreet.

It's probably best for you to do nothing if being subtle is beyond your abilities.
    nontechguy and Ghost1958 like this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links