IWB aginst your skin..problem for leather or not.....

This is a discussion on IWB aginst your skin..problem for leather or not..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying my leather backed Kydex IWB today with no undershirt...(it just to dang hot)...anybody else do this...?? will sweat harm the leather ?? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: IWB aginst your skin..problem for leather or not.....

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

I am trying my leather backed Kydex IWB today with no undershirt...(it just to dang hot)...anybody else do this...??
    will sweat harm the leather ?? the leather feels really nice against bare skin..
    Any thoughts ?????
    Thanks...
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I like to tuck my under shirt behind my Milt Sparks, but it is not a necessity. I usually do it to avoid the undershot riding up. It does not bother me.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    My horses have leather hides and sweat never seems to bother them.

A good leather holster will take rain, sweat and a lot more. I have jumped into streams wearing a holster and all my holsters are real leather. Like my horses, sweat or moisture does not bother the leather.
    dben002, Brad426 and glockman10mm like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

DBS
    My main CCW holster is a Remora, but I sometimes use a Crossbreed Supertuck. In warm weather it rides directly against my skin. It is quite comfortable to wear that way, and does not seem to adversely affect the leather.
    dben002 likes this.

That is the only way I wear mine I never have an under shirt and so far no problems with holster or gun (Foxx holster and Glaco king tuk)
    dben002 likes this.

I do this fairly often. It chaffs a little but only with big movements like bending over or sitting down. Just standing or walking around isn't too bad. I prefer an undergarment but some days when it's just a t shirt and shorts, I don't mind wearing my hybrid that way. Hybrids are super comfortable.

That's how I wear mine. Doesn't seem to hurt it (although I dare say the resale value is less...)
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I prefer an undershirt, but have had no issues with out one.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I prefer an undershirt, but have had no issues with out one.
    Me too I guess but in this hot and humid weather just can't do it.....but I guess everyone is right...horses get rained on everyday and it does not hurt em.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Living hide is one thing. Cured leather is another.

It takes it's toll. Moisture does degrade holsters. This one's seen a lot of use in the field and has been wet or at least damp quite often in its service life. Misshapen, brittle, flaky, and holding the side arm more loosely is the result of wet leather. A few times may not matter much (though it can't help) but a regular dousing or soaking is detrimental. Sweat has to be even worse. Look at belts of those who regularly work outside in heat to find out how a holster will end up looking.

Holster and its same period "new-old-stock" replacement.

This is after regular maintenance using Saddle Soap, Sno-Seal, and occasionally brown Kiwi shoe polish for appearance.

Even living in Texas, I cannot do an IWB holster without an undershirt, no matter how hot and humid it may become. It's worth it to be a little uncomfortable in order to carry a good gun.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sweat and moisture will do harm to leather, but somehow the oils you secrete seem to soften and condition the leather to make it baby soft against your skin.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    This holster and gun is worn about 200 days each year and has been since 2003. I have pulled people out of the water with it on, Ihave sweated on it and since I am old and fat, not to mention being out of shape, I sweat profusely. It is not showing any wear or stains. However, it is not a cheap holster either. With the accessories, it was right at $300.DSC_2808.JPG
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

That's how I carry mine. I've had no issues as of yet. Of course, I got the Horsehide leather specifically because of that, and I've only had it for a little while.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I wear a " wife beater" yearlong here with no problem the thinest I can find
    Dsbjax likes this.

Distinguished Member
    There are a lot of advantages to wearing a tee shirt under a regular shirt as I learned after moving to Florida. I thought I would be cooler with just a shirt but it turns out that I feel cooler with a tee shirt under that shirt plus it has other benefits. First off, a tee shirt absorbs your sweat and keeps it from saturating your regular shirt which does not make you look like the warden from Cool Hand Luke. When it gets wet, any breeze will make it feel cool to your skin.

If you watch movies or even just look at how our soldiers in the Middle East dress, you will see that they do not walk around with hardly any clothes on. In fact, just the opposite. The idea is to keep your sweat in so that it can do what it was designed to do; cool you off. If you let it drip off you, you are defeating its purpose. So it may seem counter intuitive to wear a tee shirt but in fact, it will keep you cooler than just a shirt. I buy the 'wife beater' type T shirts to wear in the summer and also a lot of wicking Tee Shirts. This method of dressing not only keeps me cool but also keeps my holsters dry and protects my skin from chaffing after a day of wearing a holster that rubs against my side.

Of course if you are just hanging out indoors in air conditioning this does not apply but if you are going to be sweating, you want to wear a tee shirt. I learned how to dress for very hot weather in Vietnam and it works for Florida too minus being shot at. :)
    Stoveman and Zeebra724 like this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links