Not sure if I was an idiot or not..

This is a discussion on Not sure if I was an idiot or not.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I witnessed a crime in my neighborhood. I got into my vehicle and drove after these thugs to get a license plate. It wasn't ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Not sure if I was an idiot or not..

Not sure if I was an idiot or not..

Yesterday, I witnessed a crime in my neighborhood. I got into my vehicle and drove after these thugs to get a license plate. It wasn't hot pursuit or anything. They didnt know that I had witnessed the crime. Got plate, called 911, drove home. A few minutes later a squad car arrived at neighbors where crime was committed. I walked down street to talk to officer. I was carrying the entire time and never gave it much thought. Had a nice conversation and the officer told us they had these idiots stopped a couple miles up the road. He asked me to get in back and go ID them. I agreed. I never even gave it a thought until we were halfway there. I was still packing. I wasn't sure what to do at that point so I just kept mouth shut.

I'm in indiana. I have no idea if I needed to notify them or not. I honestly feel like I should have just out of courtesy but like I said; I was excited and never thought about it.

Good news is they got the thugs.

Should I have played it different?
    BadgerJ likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post
    Yesterday, I witnessed a crime in my neighborhood. I got into my vehicle and drove after these thugs to get a license plate. It wasn't hot pursuit or anything. They didnt know that I had witnessed the crime. Got plate, called 911, drove home. A few minutes later a squad car arrived at neighbors where crime was committed. I walked down street to talk to officer. I was carrying the entire time and never gave it much thought. Had a nice conversation and the officer told us they had these idiots stopped a couple miles up the road. He asked me to get in back and go ID them. I agreed. I never even gave it a thought until we were halfway there. I was still packing. I wasn't sure what to do at that point so I just kept mouth shut.

I'm in indiana. I have no idea if I needed to notify them or not. I honestly feel like I should have just out of courtesy but like I said; I was excited and never thought about it.

Good news is they got the thugs.

Should I have played it different?
    Yes. You should learn your State's gun laws and leave the pursuit of criminals to the police. Glad everything turned out OK and nobody got hurt.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

You were a good witness and neighbor. But if you're going to carry a gun you need to know the laws regarding it. Mess up and you may be committing a felony.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Yes. You should learn your State's gun laws and leave the pursuit of criminals to the police. Glad everything turned out OK and nobody got hurt.
    +1

If you're going to carry, it's your responsibility to *know* your applicable laws.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using TapTalk 2
    SIGguy229 and Ksgunner like this.

Don't play cop, George Z is a perfect example of why. I hate letting criminals go, but unless there is an clear and imminent threat of death or grievous harm I will not get involved. Doing so, without clear justification, is asking for nothing good to happen to you.

No, according to handgunlaw.com IN is not a must inform state: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf.

Good job IDing and reporting BGs to Law Enforcement.

You did fine.

Ken
    mel, Ghost1958, RichB70 and 10 others like this.

I don't know your state laws but, were you within them? Good on you for helping your neighbor and going through with being a witness on their behalf. Everyone should have neighbors like that. However, if you're carrying, (hopefully legally) I'm pretty sure it's a great time to realize that you are, that way you can make the call whether to inform them or not. I don't have to inform that I'm carrying but I can guarantee you that if an officer was asking me to get into his vehicle, I would inform him / her whether it was the law or not. Glad everything turned out OK and they got the guys.

P.S. So, how DO you like that CBST?
    phreddy, goldmaster and BIGSAM like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

...from the point of view of this old ex-cop, as far as getting a license number for the cops, you did well...no Bullitt driving...no run-down madness...just getting a license number without interfacing with the BG at all...thanks for being a good citizen who's willing to put out a little effort and help LEOs make the case...that level of citizen involvement is helpful...

...here's a start at researching IN concealed carry laws...the same law that restrains you, protects you...you gotta know it...

http://concealedcarrylaw.net/concealed-carry-indiana/

Though you certainly should know the law for your own protection, in this case I think it's no harm no foul. Probably the police didn't care one way or the other - after all, they all have guns and probably hang around with law-abiding "gun people" frequently. If they were worried about it, they'd have asked. Probably they were just glad someone was there to help them out.

My approach is, if they ask for my ID, I'll hand over my permit too. They can decide how to proceed from there.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    My first thought was that "you have a CC permit in your state of residence and don't know the basics of the laws regarding your responsibility under those laws?"

Is 'talking to the cops' covered in any state's cc laws? This individual was not being questioned or stopped for any infraction.

So I guess I don't know my state's laws either. I know I don't have to inform if *stopped* in my vehicle by an officer. I know that at the scene of an accident I'm in, I don't have to inform.

If a cop asks *me* to do him a favor, it's his responsibility to cover his bases, if he feels its necessary. That is my opinion of course, not the law. Like I said, I don't know that there's any law in my state that states , "If you are ever in the presences of an on-duty LEO, you must tell them you are carrying."

I also think the OP was being safe and responsible in following the perpetrators (in the manner he did so).

OTOH, I don't understand how it's a 'courtesy' to tell LE that you are carrying? I don't feel 'discourteous' not doing so.
    Aceoky and Maynard like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Is 'talking to the cops' covered in any state's cc laws? This individual was not being questioned or stopped for any infraction.
    Just FYI, I can't speak to the issue in other states, but it is covered in Ohio; the language is as follows:

"If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun."

So we must notify if the meeting is for a "lawful purpose" as it was in the case of the OP. If he lived in Ohio he would be required to notify. A "non-law enforecement purpose" example would be saying hello to an officer while standing in line for coffee, or passing on the street.

Personally I think you did an awesome job. However, once the officer asked you to get into the vehicle I think I would have informed him I was carrying, regardless of what the state law is. I don't know, it just seems like the right thing to do, for me anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

With "inform" laws, aren't most of them based on "stops." So, if the police has a reason to stop you/detain you, you must inform. If it's a casual conversation, or you are doing something with them that is helping them, I would think that most "inform" laws don't apply.

I know in AZ, it's based on why the interaction is happening.

Is there a chance that these knuckle draggers could show up at your door to even things up?

Watch your six!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links