Carry in Michigan with one of my father's pistols?

This is a discussion on Carry in Michigan with one of my father's pistols? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister is getting married in Michigan (where I grew up) at the end of the month, and I will be back for 5 days. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex_C

Thread: Carry in Michigan with one of my father's pistols?

My sister is getting married in Michigan (where I grew up) at the end of the month, and I will be back for 5 days. I don't want to fly with a pistol -- would I be able to carry one of my father's weapons? I am assuming not but don't know what the law says about whether or not you have to carry your own weapon.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    MI honors your SC permit (assuming you have one)

Does the SC permit link to a specific gun?
    Does MI have gun registration so that if they ran the serial# it would come back to someone else?

I don't see a problem, I've never heard of also having to prove ownership, except for states with some really messed up laws like NY, MA, MD, CA......

SC and MI do have reciprocity. I don't have my permit yet, but should have it this week. There is no registration/licensing procedure in SC, but I do know that in Michigan you need to have a permit for each handgun you own, that links it to a specific person. Not sure if or how that applies to a CWP though.

And if for whatever reason I was in a situation where the weapon's ownership came into question, either it would have been fired in SD (making this logistical issue the least of my problems), or my father would be with me.

IANAL, but...

MI law states that as long as the pistol is registered and you have a valid MI CPL, it's fine to carry a gun belonging to someone else.

"MCL 28.432 An individual can carry, possess, use or transport a pistol belonging to another individual, if the pistol is properly licensed under the Act, and the individual carrying, possessing, using or transporting the pistol has obtained a license to carry a pistol concealed permit from Michigan."

However, if you only have your SC permit and not a MI permit, it seems you are not allowed to do this.
    SiVisPacem likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SiVisPacem View Post
    My sister is getting married in Michigan (where I grew up) at the end of the month, and I will be back for 5 days. I don't want to fly with a pistol -- would I be able to carry one of my father's weapons? I am assuming not but don't know what the law says about whether or not you have to carry your own weapon.
    This is a bit of a sketchy area as far as federal laws are concerned. Since you reside out of state, all firearm "transfers," even between blood relatives, must go through an FFL (unless it is part of a bequest). If your father is letting you borrow the pistol "for a sporting purpose," that is allowed, but I don't think you can claim concealed carry is a sporting purpose.

My advice; just fly with your handgun; it is very simple.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Seems like it's not worth the risk/potential problems. I'll probably just fly with mine.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    MI honors your SC permit (assuming you have one)

Does the SC permit link to a specific gun?
    Does MI have gun registration so that if they ran the serial# it would come back to someone else?

I don't see a problem, I've never heard of also having to prove ownership, except for states with some really messed up laws like NY, MA, MD, CA......
    SC does not link to a specific firearm, nor does it register guns.

MI does register all firearms to the specific owner, if you abide by their laws.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    MI does register all firearms to the specific owner, if you abide by their laws.
    MI only requires handguns to be registered.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    MI only requires handguns to be registered.
    I don't see many people concealing a rifle. :)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I don't see many people concealing a rifle
    Wouldn't the very definition of "concealed" make it unlikely that you would "see", uh...anything?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    The only caveat I would add to flying with your gun is where will the plane be landing other than SC & MI? If you have a layover in NJ, NY, MA, etc. and you end up having to remain overnight - DO NOT pick up your bag as they have a track record of arresting stranded travelers with guns. It is stupid, it sucks, but it does happen. If you do not take possession of your bags, you should be OK. IANAL. If your flight goes through ATL or straight to MI, you should be OK.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Have your dad "sell" you the gun while you're there?

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I don't see many people concealing a rifle. :)
    You said MI registers "all firearms". I wasn't sure if you were talking about only handguns or not. Some people may be confused by the term "all firearms" and think we have long gun registration also. I just wanted to clear that up

Throw a post up over on http://www.migunowners.org's legal forum. I'm not quite sure how that would work with an out of state CPL.

-Rob

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Have your dad "sell" you the gun while you're there?
    He can't. He would be selling to an out of state resident. The sale must go through an FFL in the son's state (SC). To do otherwise would be a federal felony as I understand it.

Links