MI resident traveling through Ohio

This is a discussion on MI resident traveling through Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, My son with a MI felony, 3 year old grandson, and myself are leaving Michigan, traveling through Ohio, and going to Tennessee for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SOLOLUCKY

Thread: MI resident traveling through Ohio

MI resident traveling through Ohio

Hi all,

My son with a MI felony, 3 year old grandson, and myself are leaving Michigan, traveling through Ohio, and going to Tennessee for a week. I have my MI CPL and I'll be carrying my handgun the whole time. I went on handgunlaw.us and read that in Ohio "Firearm must not be accessible to children or persons under firearm disability. You must carry the handgun in a manner so they do not have access to it."

We'll be on Interstate 75 for around 4 hours and I would rather not have to keep the gun in my holster while we're driving. My son will be driving most of the time so I'll be in the passenger seat. Since the gun can't be "accessible to children" like in a glovebox or in a console I am thinking I'll have to keep the gun locked in my gun locker under my seat and the key in my pocket while we're in the car to comply with this law. When I get out of the car I'll holster it.

Any other advice you can give me?

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

It sounds like you have a plan...not sure what anyone could add really...Other than my take would be to simply wear it the whole time...the only time a gun is of any danger is when it is being handled...keep it in your holster and its fine. You were/are going to holster when you get out of the car anyway you stated...heck just wear it and be done with it...My 2centss worth.
    oneshot likes this.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I am thinking if the gun is in your possession and control, then it is NOT accessible to children.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Thanks for you replies.

Given a choice I'ld rather not wear it for 3-4 hours but I would if I have to. I just think if while we're on Interstate 75 for a few hours why not keep it locked up in my gun locker by my feet and the key in my pocket. I would think it would be in my possession, control, and not accessible to kids.

Its not the child I would be worried about. Its the Felon having access that would concern me. You may want to check into that...

read that in Ohio "Firearm must not be accessible to children or persons under firearm disability. You must carry the handgun in a manner so they do not have access to it."
    There is nothing like that in Ohio law.

I guess my only thought is, if you don't like to keep it on you for the 4 hours in the car, maybe its time to look at another method of carry?
    Just personal preference but the only time I feel like I have full control over my pistol is when it is in my hand, or in my holster.

Your plan is fine and you won't have a problem. I find it strange that you don't want to carry it. On the other hand you may find me strange because I carry Two Snubs every day for at least Fourteen Hours.

VIP Member
    I would think that if you are IN the car, and you are IN the passenger seat, the glovebox would suffice.
    Then if you exited the vehicle, strap it on.

Me myself and Irene, would rather wear it, but then I usually have another in the seat on long trips anyway.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links