San Antonio Bound!

This is a discussion on San Antonio Bound! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize it this is wrong forum, my wife and I are headed to the Great State of Texas for July 4 th weekend! I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: San Antonio Bound!

San Antonio Bound!

I apologize it this is wrong forum, my wife and I are headed to the Great State of Texas for July 4 th weekend! I am legal there, may be my first time traveling armed very curious about the process got some homework to do. Anyone here care to recommend some restaurants for real Texas beef/BBQ?? Not just the places the hotels steer tourists to.
    I doubt there are any Gun shops in the downtown area but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

2. Remove Ads

You absolutely must try Rudy's BBQ! There is one near New braunfels, and another in the northwest side off hwy 151. They also have amazing creamed corn. For steak you can't beat the Saltgrass Steakhouse.

VIP Member
    Not barbeque, but I always enjoyed Pappasito's.

The shrimp stuffed with cream cheese and jalapeno wrapped in bacon is THE BOMB......

Thanks guys can't wait

And while you are in town, for Mexican food, you have to go to Mi Tierra. Near downtown, and it's Christmas all year round. (after a visit, you will understand.)

...enjoy your journey and the Texas hospitality!(should you see the beauty of Texas, pick up your immigration application at the welcome center as you enter the state...we'll act as references for you...for a price...)

Staying on the river?

Just a general heads up, SA is a pretty rough town and you will want to carry at all times. In short, you can't carry in bars (51% establishments), government buildings (not sure about the Alamo) and a selection of other places that won't effect you. If a location is a 51% they will have a big sign at the door that says "51%" and another sign saying that the UNLICENSED possession of a handgun is a felony (it's a top level misdemeanor normally, in a 51% it's bumped to a felony), for us that means that its a no go for CC. OC is illegal, period. Hopefully you won't have any LE contact, but if you do you are required to inform that you're carrying. There is no actual penalty for failing to do so, but it will make things go much smoother, they will probably get a kick out of your NY permit.

I second Rudy's off 45, also don't speed near Huntsville, there are tons of troopers around there since there is a barrack near there and the big prison complex (where we do the executin'!)...oh, last thing...the river is only 2 feet deep!

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Just a general heads up, SA is a pretty rough town and you will want to carry at all times. In short, you can't carry in bars (51% establishments), government buildings (not sure about the Alamo) and a selection of other places that won't effect you. If a location is a 51% they will have a big sign at the door that says "51%" and another sign saying that the UNLICENSED possession of a handgun is a felony (it's a top level misdemeanor normally, in a 51% it's bumped to a felony), for us that means that its a no go for CC. OC is illegal, period. Hopefully you won't have any LE contact, but if you do you are required to inform that you're carrying. There is no actual penalty for failing to do so, but it will make things go much smoother, they will probably get a kick out of your NY permit.

I second Rudy's off 45, also don't speed near Huntsville, there are tons of troopers around there since there is a barrack near there and the big prison complex (where we do the executin'!)...oh, last thing...the river is only 2 feet deep!
    Sorry, I thought it was ironic you said you need to carry all the time and then go on about how crappy it is to carry in TX
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

If you are traveling w/kids....or if your a kid yourself (like me) Schlitterbahn!!!!!! No it's not a BBQ joint but I went to AIT at Ft. Sam. Had a great time. Also there is this place that serves HUGE pizzas. Can't remember the name, but it was good and had fun there to.
    Last edited by hk45c; June 10th, 2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added pic of huge pizza
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Distinguished Member
    Hey suntzu, it's not crappy at all to carry in Texas. MJB_17 gave you almost all the CC laws you need to know. Don't see why you would think it crappy. Pretty simple to me. Hey, it's Texas- we're friendly.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read the law, there is no duty to inform, unless asked to show identification.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

...don't know how it is in old Virginny, but here in Texas, when them boys pull you over they ALWAYS be askin' fer your papers...he'll have to inform...

If you're a carnivore you need to go to Fogo de Chao and resist the salad bar to keep room for all of that delicious, mouth watering MEAT! You won't be disappointed! There's one in San Antonio. Haven't been there but I have been to the one in the Dallas area.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    That place should be called Fogo de CHOW...

We have one in Baltimore at the Harbor.

Two words - Yum mmmy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links