Access to Gun while Driving

This is a discussion on Access to Gun while Driving within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search, and couldn't find anything. I carry IWB at 4:30, and pocket 80% of the time. I can draw from my IWB ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Access to Gun while Driving

Access to Gun while Driving

I did a search, and couldn't find anything.

I carry IWB at 4:30, and pocket 80% of the time. I can draw from my IWB while buckled, but it's slow. The car gun is not an option. A vehicle mounted holster is not an option. What are my options? I really like 4:30, and I don't want 3 on me all at once. Help me out guys. Do I need to practice more, or is there something simple I'm missing. I found a belly band worked pretty well, or cargo pocket, but I don't want 3 on me. All opinions are appreciated.... well... most. TIA
    Something witty

2. Remove Ads

I keep a remora in the car an carry cross draw while driving than put back in IWB upon arrival
    GeorgiaDawg and fredg53 like this.

I can't do that for the same reason I don't want a vehicle mounted holster. I'm not always solo in my travels, and I'm a fan of the less knowing, the better.
    Something witty

...I wear pocket tees at work...polos for "dress"...always tails out and AIWB at 1-2 o'clock...even sitting belted in (I'm lefty) I can draw quickly...no re-arranging or moving it around...

...if you must wear a coat/jacket attire, a cross-draw pancake will work for lefty or righty...wear it far enough back toward the hip that it's under the unbuttoned coat...not in front like Bat Masterson did...and it'll be concealable and accessible...

...or you can wear an ankle holster and a snub in it...fast when sitting(and only up to two)

VIP Member
    I normally carry IWB at 3 o’clock, puts the butt right in the “V” of the seat belt for an unobstructed draw. Now if I am going on a long road trip then I switch to a revolver in a shoulder holster.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

There was an article in a magazine (I wish I could recall the name right now) a few months back and the author went through multiple scenarios drawing from seated in a vehicle while carrying exactly as you do. Turns out the only way he found to do it safely while not having to navigate past the steering wheel and not incidentally pointing his weapon at a passenger or himself in the process was to carry a third weapon above his waist. Maybe someone else will have some other ideas but after reading all the ways he tried it, I'm sold that's the only way to do it safely, quickly, and be pretty much on target straight from draw. I'll see if I can find the article for you online so you can check it out. I know you don't want to carry 3 at once but with the other restrictions you've got it May be the only option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You can do something like this without mounting the firearm:

I've used a Remora no-slip holster, and tucked it in between the center console and the passenger seat. The gun slides in and out but the holster stays in place. If your state law requires you keep the firearm concealed in the vehicle, then simply put a hat over it as you drive.
    fredg53 likes this.

I think the best solution for your particular problem is to carry the pocket gun in an ankle rig when you know you will be driving. When I'm in the same situation I usually ask out of driving and carry in the pocket and at 4:00. While it's not the easiest draw in the world, I can get to my IWB at a reasonable speed. Not having the steering wheel in the way is a BIG help on the draw. When I'm driving alone or with my wife I carry off-body in a car-mounted holster in an easily accessible compartment under my radio. The compartment is covered by a door that flips up quickly when pressed. If I didn't know better I would swear the manufacturer made it for ccw. I am just as fast drawing from that compartment as I am from a normal standing draw. If you have a similar compartment that you can conceal the pistol in that may work, depending on how apt the people you ride with are to snoop through your car. Of course you would have to stow a gun there in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    You can do something like this without mounting the firearm:

I've used a Remora no-slip holster, and tucked it in between the center console and the passenger seat. The gun slides in and out but the holster stays in place. If your state law requires you keep the firearm concealed in the vehicle, then simply put a hat over it as you drive.
    this is how I usually carry in the car..makes it much easier..

OD*
    Clint Smith has a quick but interesting video on youtube.

Caertaker likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Clint Smith has a quick but interesting video on youtube.
    That was a good tip.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    this is how I usually carry in the car..makes it much easier..
    Yeah, I just lay a little towel over it.

Thanks OD for posting that video, I'll have to give that a try tonight to see how it works for me. In SC the weapon either has to be on you or in the glove box or console. We are not allowed to have it in a car holster, between or under seats.

OD*
    You're very welcome, sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

...Mr. Smith thinks before he speaks...and is usually worth hearing because of that fact...enjoyed!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links