Gun Free Zones

Gun Free Zones

This is a discussion on Gun Free Zones within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being from Illinois I am spending a lot of time thinking about the laundry list of gun free zones in the current bill. All of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Gun Free Zones

Question Gun Free Zones

Being from Illinois I am spending a lot of time thinking about the laundry list of gun free zones in the current bill. All of us would like to carry our firearms everywhere we go, but are frequently reminded of places we CAN'T go with our side arm. We all know the reasons why the "left" loves to extend gun free zones far and wide, that is not my question at all. My questions are:

1. Are there legitimate reasons/criteria for enforcing a gun free zone?

2. Is there any places that you believe should be gun free zones?

I have some opinions, but want to see what everyone has to say first.

CIBMike likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

The Moon should be a gun free zone. Perhaps the liberal progressives should start a new colony up there.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

My personal opinion is that the only gun free zone that should exist, is in a private home, in which the resident doesn't want firearms carried in.
    John Luttrell

For the most part I think that gun free zones are supported by the same BS, fear-based reasons as are all anti-gun laws. It comes down to trust....if a police officer can be "trusted" to carry a firearm in a certain place then I think a CCW holder should be afforded the same trust. The only logical reason that I can see to ban firearms in particular places would be if the weapon itself was the danger, as opposed to the person carrying the gun. Examples are hard to think of but the first thing that comes to mind would be a prison. I've never been to a prison but from movies that I've seen I believe visiting LEO's have to check their gun in with security before entering. This is obviously because a prison is full of people who would literally kill to get their hands on a gun and the risk is too great.

Possibly airplanes? Just because a NG could bring down the whole plane. Every other thought I have involves some sort of scientific facility where there are "things" like large magnets or whatever, things that make the gun itself unsafe. Then again I guess in these examples its not the guns but the ammo that pose the risks.

Its an interesting question. Can anyone think of any "logical" places where guns should not be allowed?

VIP Member
    I'll jump in. Because I'm tired but I don't want to go to bet yet. (The persuasiveness of my reasoning will thus be at a level commensurate with my fatigued mind).

1. Are there legitimate reasons/criteria for enforcing a gun free zone?

Yes. I understand why some zones should be gun free.

There are some venues in which are addressed matters that stir the strongest of emotions. Courthouses for one. Do you really want a distraught father, not in a right frame of mind, packing heat while a jury reads off a "Not Guilty" verdict in the trial of a perp that clearly murdered his daughter?

Then there are some places that deal with not the nicest of people or the most stable. Prisons, jails, and mental hospitals. No need for visitors to have weapons, especially when visiting people held against their will.

Places that house sensitive information or extremely dangerous implements. I'm talking stuff like state secrets, nuclear weapons, and "that kind of stuff."

This is nothing new. It's akin (but not the same as) limits on free speech.

2. Is there any places that you believe should be gun free zones?

Courthouses.
    Prisons.
    Jails.
    Government weapons "depots" (Just like in the movies, I'm sure - with the white sign in red lettering: "Waring: Nuclear Weapons Stored Here! Use of Lethal Force Authorized."). For obvious reasons.
    The Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane.
    Airplanes.
    And anybody's private property if they so wish it to be.
    Last edited by PEF; June 10th, 2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Formatting and aeorplanes
    DJC7, mprp and Tzadik like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I have no problem with gun-free zones, IF the authority/proprietor supplies adequate security to compensate for the lack of my own weapon. The problem, of course, is that most don't. I have no problem with a courthouse - everybody goes through a metal detector just like me, and there are armed bailiffs and LEOs around. School, college, restaurant, church? Unlikely. IMHO, if you're telling someone the can come on your property but only without a gun, you're assuming the responsibility of keeping them safe. We recognize this when it comes to safety rails and trip hazards, but somehow not when it comes to physical attack.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I don't complain about GFZs where I am reasonably assured everyone else in gun free as well. This means places with "actual" security, courthouse, jail, prison. I have been to a nuclear power plant, and while perimeter security appeared to be serious, once inside I was told there are no weapons, firearms, outside food/drink, drugs/alcohol, etc allowed on premise. But there were no metal detectors, search of my person or bag I brought with me.

While most people "trust" the police, I live in Illinois, and I have come to believe I can't trust anyone. Although I was in a local police department for fingerprinting (completely voluntary I swear) the officer removed his side arm and locked it up while assisting me. That said he only locked up his service pistol, no BUG.
    9MMare likes this.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind Post Offices being GFZs? I have thought long and hard for a legit reason for this, and have failed.

Pretty good PEF. I'm gonna cheat off of your homework and go with that too.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurczak View Post
    Does anyone know the reasoning behind Post Offices being GFZs? I have thought long and hard for a legit reason for this, and have failed.
    It is simply due to the fact that they are covered under a federal law stating that we cannot carry in federal buildings.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    It is simply due to the fact that they are covered under a federal law stating that we cannot carry in federal buildings.
    So simply being a "federal" building makes it a GFZ, got to love blanketing far reaching statements like that. I find it interesting that most acceptable GFZs will have armed security.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    For the most part I think that gun free zones are supported by the same BS, fear-based reasons as are all anti-gun laws. It comes down to trust....if a police officer can be "trusted" to carry a firearm in a certain place then I think a CCW holder should be afforded the same trust. The only logical reason that I can see to ban firearms in particular places would be if the weapon itself was the danger, as opposed to the person carrying the gun. Examples are hard to think of but the first thing that comes to mind would be a prison. I've never been to a prison but from movies that I've seen I believe visiting LEO's have to check their gun in with security before entering. This is obviously because a prison is full of people who would literally kill to get their hands on a gun and the risk is too great.

Possibly airplanes? Just because a NG could bring down the whole plane. Every other thought I have involves some sort of scientific facility where there are "things" like large magnets or whatever, things that make the gun itself unsafe. Then again I guess in these examples its not the guns but the ammo that pose the risks.

Its an interesting question. Can anyone think of any "logical" places where guns should not be allowed?
    Another of the misconceptions fostered by hollyweird just the same as every car that catches fire explodes in a mushroom cloud rivaling the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    sdprof likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What is the worst that could happen if a bullet was fired from inside a plane that was at its cruising altitude?

It could go through the pilot's brain.
    maxwell97 and B_2keys like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links