[rant] registration and licensing a la cars and drivers

This is a discussion on [rant] registration and licensing a la cars and drivers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I work in IT. In computers and networking, everything is a car analogy, so I get it. I'm just getting tired of hearing people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: [rant] registration and licensing a la cars and drivers

[rant] registration and licensing a la cars and drivers

Okay, I work in IT. In computers and networking, everything is a car analogy, so I get it. I'm just getting tired of hearing people say thing like "we license people to drive, we should license them to carry guns too" or "We have to register our cars with the state, and report when we sell them, we should do the same with guns because they're designed to kill.

Have these idiots SEEN who we let drive?? Multiple DUIs, vehicular homicide that sent you to prison for five years, auto theft, speeding enough to get you reckless driving jailtime.

Yet, you can go get your driver's license reinstated once your jailtime is over and you pay your fines. If I go to jail for something completely unrelated to firearms, I get them confiscated and can never own another firearm or qualify for a carry permit in any state.

/rant
    HillbilliesRule likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

And to think, one is a right and the other a privilege...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

A privilege that we should be a little less free with sometimes, I think.

Here in WA, we've had some pretty significant DUI wrecks in the news lately, and there's a big push to tighten up DUI laws. I think a three-strikes law is more then generous, but I'm sure we'll never get there. But, if I can't make it to a bathroom and pee on a tree because I'm drinking (for the record, I've never done this, lol), and get spotted, then suddenly I could never own a firearm in this state.

Where is the logic????
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    We should license people to have kids
    BadgerJ and HillbilliesRule like this.

There is no logic as it pertains to firearms control. It has progressively gotten worse and I fear it will get much worse before any form of change will happen..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

The logic is that cars are not scary enough to serve a political agenda, but guns...now we are talking rape the women, gnaw the bones of the boys scary. Besides, if they took away cars, how would politicians get away with drunk driving? And whats scary about a drunk woman mowing down an LEO on his bycycle ( happened here last year), whats scary about the numbskull who rammed his car through the gate in my apt complex.... whats scary about the 19 yr old who got so drunk he passed out at the wheel, drove into a retention pond, and it took them a week to find him ( happened here last summer).... this stuff happens in every city, everywhere.... but guns are the evil culprits of american society.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    We should license people to have kids
    Think about that one for a minute... do you want the government controlling who can have kids? Talk about picking your voter base...

-- John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Why not have a license for the usage of "free speech"? Why not have a license to worship or to affiliate with a particular religion? We shouldn't be licensed for something that is our God-given right. I don't agree with a concealed carry license, either.

I'd say that voting can result in more harm than firearms, yet the same people wanting to license firearm owners are the same ones who want less checks on who can vote.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

It is indeed appalling what we've allowed the liberty-haters to get away with, right under our noses, all because of a fear of what they tell us to fear. Once upon a time, it was only fear itself that was the fear. *sigh*
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Why not have a license for the usage of "free speech"? Why not have a license to worship or to affiliate with a particular religion? We shouldn't be licensed for something that is our God-given right. I don't agree with a concealed carry license, either.

I'd say that voting can result in more harm than firearms, yet the same people wanting to license firearm owners are the same ones who want less checks on who can vote.
    I have CCW permits in four states, with almost 40 state coverage. I still want to print and laminate a card with the 2nd Amendment on it, and just hand that to anyone that asks to see my permit. And then hand them the actual valid one.

But, I've never been asked for my permits, so... moot point?

-- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You have to register cars because they are far more deadly than a gun. And what's worse, most adults own one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You have to register cars because they are far more deadly than a gun. And what's worse, most adults own one.
    Well, you have to register cars because of how heavily they're taxed for road maintenance and construction. The government could care less who owns the car, they care that the buyers are paying their fair share of taxes. Then another share, just for good measure.

-- John F. Kennedy

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I'd like to see every non citizen (illegal) have the baby making parts R/R with sawdust. What's the chance of that do you think?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Think about that one for a minute... do you want the government controlling who can have kids? Talk about picking your voter base...
    I was kidding or joking........ Thats why i had a Big Dancing Banana posted with the comment .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think that is too facile an answer. We register our cars because doing so raises a lot of money for our state's coffers.

There are certainly benefits to titles and registration, but as often as not these processes are merely just another tax.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links