Kentucky CC on a Motorcycle vs Car with no CCDW Permit - How to Differentiate

This is a discussion on Kentucky CC on a Motorcycle vs Car with no CCDW Permit - How to Differentiate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I messed this up and posted in Open carry by mistake but can't delete it. I apologize... I work with a fellow who is a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoveman

Thread: Kentucky CC on a Motorcycle vs Car with no CCDW Permit - How to Differentiate

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Kentucky CC on a Motorcycle vs Car with no CCDW Permit - How to Differentiate

I messed this up and posted in Open carry by mistake but can't delete it. I apologize...

I work with a fellow who is a Certified Welding Inspector from California who currently resides in Kentucky. He rides his bike (HD with saddle bags) to and from work. He does not have a Kentucky CCDW permit. Today he asked me how /if he could carry his pistol on the bike. frankly I done a about and hour's worth searching and I could not come up with a boni-fied answer.

I did find, " Kentucky also allows weapons to be hidden from view in any factory-installed vehicle compartment. Console boxes, seat pockets, glove compartments or trunks are among the acceptable areas for unlicensed concealment. from: Kentucky

Since he owns property in KY, I guess he is a KY resident - I did not ask. He may still be licensed for California. Perhaps that plays into the grand scheme of things, no? I would like to give him some statute but I can't find any thing specific other than above.

Thanks for the input, folks.

My best,
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Actually it probably was in the right area, as Ky allows Open carry but "factory installed compartment IN a vehicle" may not "work" as hoped on a motorcycle .... he should make sure he has a Ky license and take precautions that he doesn't accidentally conceal "just to be on the safe side" IMO

I'd guess he would be "OK" in the saddlebags but wouldn't have fast access IMO - you or he should contact the KSP post closest to you for exact information IMO ( I would VIA Email so the reply can be printed out and carried "in case")

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    It seems like he should be able to get an answer by going to local PD or Sheriff's office and ask them,if he can't find out any other way.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The reply I get from KSP, local PD, Sheriff etc. is to simply "please refer to KRS.xxx.xx "which is as vague as information I posted in italics above. Seems that there is information for "cars" and "trucks" but when it comes to other vehicles such as motorcycles, bikes, trikes, dune buggies, 4-wheelers and all-terrain vehicles, Kentucky is left clueless.

Thanks for the input!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Actually it probably was in the right area, as Ky allows Open carry but "factory installed compartment IN a vehicle" may not "work" as hoped on a motorcycle .... he should make sure he has a Ky license and take precautions that he doesn't accidentally conceal "just to be on the safe side" IMO

I'd guess he would be "OK" in the saddlebags but wouldn't have fast access IMO - you or he should contact the KSP post closest to you for exact information IMO ( I would VIA Email so the reply can be printed out and carried "in case")
    This sounds like good advise to be on the safe side.

There is nothing mentioned about carrying on motorcycle in the KRS........

NO CONCEAL CARRY PERMIT........ NO GUN ON A BIKE! Unless you can keep it "open" all the time.

One of my friends has a Goldwing with many factory, lockable storage compartments, and the KSP officer said NO! Seems to be an oversight in the KSP law about motorcycles. 5 of the people in my ccdw class were getting their permit so they could legally carry on a bike without question.

Other than personal/family defense being the #1 reason for me getting my ccdw permit. Transportation issues between states and riding my bike was #2.

A motorcycle is clearly a vehicle. So just because the KSP said " no" doesn't make them correct. They might also tell you only the glove compartment on a car, but the way the law is stated even a pouch in the seatback is legal. Is it possible you could wind up in court? Perhaps but the court is going to go by the statute which seems pretty clear.

VIP Member
    Since Kentucky is open carry without a permit, couldn't he just strap it on and ride? This time of year it's not like you need a big bulky jacket.

Personally I like shoulder holsters when I am riding the scoot. Unless Mrs. Stove is with me and she doesn't really appreciate having the business end of a Glock directly in front of her.

Don't say it, I know, but happy wife, happy life....
    Aceoky likes this.

Links