shooting one eye closed or both eyes open??

This is a discussion on shooting one eye closed or both eyes open?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im sorry if this has been discussed alreay but I didnt see any threads about it.. During target practice I always close my left eye ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: shooting one eye closed or both eyes open??

shooting one eye closed or both eyes open??

Im sorry if this has been discussed alreay but I didnt see any threads about it..

During target practice I always close my left eye and focus up on my right eye.. I havent had to discharge my firearm in self defense yet but I dont know if i would have both eyes wide open or if I would shut my left eye, I think I would close my eye since I train that way.. Does anybody shoot with both eyes open??

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I think that if you had to draw and fire upon someone that would try to kill you that you couldn't help but to keep both eyes open.

In every self defense course I have ever trained in not one of them advocated using one eye.
    Not one.

Using one eye and taking a fine bead is fine for target practice.

Taking the time to do it in a defensive scenario will get you killed.

To answer your question, YES, I shoot with both eyes open unless I am using a scope and depending on the scenario I might even use both.
    bmcgilvray and ArmyCop like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Those of us who shoot IPSC and sometimes IDPA do. It opens up your wide area sighting (can't spell perieferal) to enable moving to a second target faster and more easily. I have been doing this for 30 years or more. In taking "Gun Fighting Courses" this is also an advantage as there will be multiple targets and how to shoot them. I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed. YMMV.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Thanks for your reply, Im going to start shooting with both eyes open, I tried it before I just feel like Im not as accurate but practice makes perfect..
    Smarshe likes this.

One eye closed. I've heard of people aiming with both eyes open, but I don't see the benefit that's worth seeing double, unless it's just when point-shooting (not using sights at close range).
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Advanced shooters usually use both eyes, unless using serious magnification from an optic.
    Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Prove it to yourself.

Practice up using both eyes open.

Do a force on force with Simunitions (if you can) or AirSoft using both eyes when firing.
    You hits will be solid and quick and if you happen to shoot against someone that takes the time to sight, you should hit them first.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    IMHO..you should learn and train to shoot well with both eyes open using one of a few good point and shoot techniques ..you can determine what tech is best for you. In a self defense emergency or in low light conditions you should not take the luxury of trying to sight first. Once you start two eyes open and point shooting with practice you will become as accurate or more accurate when you let your instincts and your subconscious mind control what your body is doing.
    Bill MO likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

...I always shoot both eyes open...just the way I learned...

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If your just going to target shoot, I guess you could shut one eye. It's better to keep both eyes open and focused on the front sight. In a defensive situation, closing that left eye leaves you with a blind side. What if a threat come at you from the left, and you have your eye closed, you won't see it until it's too late. My advise is to keep both eyes open, and focus on the front sight. The rear sight and the target will look a little out of focus, this is normal. The eyes can only focus on one thing at a time.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Everyone that I have trained and shot with suggest shooting with both eyes open. The people I know who have had to use a firearm in a real life situation (either LEO, military, or defensive) say that the adrenaline will force both eyes open, so I train with both eyes open.
    GSDSchutzhund and HotGuns like this.

My dad taught me to shoot and it was with one eye shut and that is how it was for years. Then started to hear about the benefit's of keeping both eyes open. The first few times I tried it I kept thinking this isn't for me. But seeing the benefits and not giving up it started to fall into place after a lot of practice. Both eyes open is the way to go. When I took my ccl class on the shooting portion the instructor told everyone they had to shoot with both eyes open.

It's a hard habit to break, I have noticed using 2 eye's puts me on target faster, and more accurate. faster draws and acquisition. Seeing in stereo is much better.
    I know habits are hard to break, I was always taught to use one eye, and am really trying to loose that habit.
    And learn to use it on your weak side also.
    rockratt and StormRhydr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksaw View Post
    Everyone that I have trained and shot with suggest shooting with both eyes open. The people I know who have had to use a firearm in a real life situation (either LEO, military, or defensive) say that the adrenaline will force both eyes open, so I train with both eyes open.
    That's kinda it right there. Sweeping house to house, we're always taught use both eyes in trying to acquire the target

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Good points. Another is that we have depth perception because we have stereoscopic vision. Close an eye, and you're in 2D land instantly. That is ok on a range, but the real world is in 3D (4D really). If you come to a life or death situation, and you're aware of it, your brain is already going to to shutting down your peripheral vision. Your perceived point of threat is going dominate everything, and you will be seeing it as down a tunnel. You do not want to assist the monkey part of your brain, because it will kill you. Keeping two eyes open, and controlling your breathing will keep you alive.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links