How Concealed does a gun need to be?

This is a discussion on How Concealed does a gun need to be? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Second post here. Hope it's in the right place. I am considering getting a handgun and a CCW in Ohio. From what I've read, the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How Concealed does a gun need to be?

Second post here. Hope it's in the right place.

I am considering getting a handgun and a CCW in Ohio. From what I've read, the gun needs to be completely concealed why you carry it. My old army buddies who are now Police officers all suggested the Glock 26 or 27. I went to the local gun shop and handled the "little" Glocks and to my surprise, they are all, IMHO, very big. I am not a real big guy and wear casual professional clothes and can't see anyway I could actually conceal the Glock? I did sort of like the Sig P938, I guess the single stack mag makes it thinner.

So back to my question, how concealed does the gun need to be? I mean, does an obvious Glock bulge under an untucked shirt count? Hope this makes sense.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The gun should be concealed so that if people know you carry they can't see it. People should have no idea you are carrying.
    CDW4ME and USM1976 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b2187101 View Post
    Second post here. Hope it's in the right place.

I am considering getting a handgun and a CCW in Ohio. From what I've read, the gun needs to be completely concealed why you carry it. My old army buddies who are now Police officers all suggested the Glock 26 or 27. I went to the local gun shop and handled the "little" Glocks and to my surprise, they are all, IMHO, very big. I am not a real big guy and wear casual professional clothes and can't see anyway I could actually conceal the Glock? I did sort of like the Sig P938, I guess the single stack mag makes it thinner.

So back to my question, how concealed does the gun need to be? I mean, does an obvious Glock bulge under an untucked shirt count? Hope this makes sense.
    Ohio has no laws regarding printing, so degrees and effectiveness of concealment are matters of personal need and preference. I carry Glocks or M&Ps under t-shirts every day without bulges or tells. I personally prefer the M&Pc over the baby Glocks.
    BadgerJ, atctimmy, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I carry a G19 right now and have no issues with it. One shirt tucked in and an unbuttoned cover shirt over top. Depending on how I like the Shield once I get to shoot it, my carry gun may change.
    DetChris and Taurahe like this.

If you're worried about people seeing and or knowing that you're carrying concealed... go to a hardware store and buy the biggest cheapest tape measure they have that has a belt clip. Slap that bad boy on your belt under a shirt and walk around all day. No one will even notice it. Honestly people are too consumed in themselves to give a crap about inspecting every person they come across for signs of carrying a concealed weapon. And the only ones who may looks for signs of someone carrying concealed are other concealed carriers, and I highly doubt they're going to say anything.

As far as guns printing or being more concealable... there are models out there now made specifically for "concealed carry." Usually small single stack weapons such as the Beterra Nano, Kahr CMP/PM9 S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, numerous snbbie revolvers, and countless others. Go to a Gun Shop and look and see what all they have. You don't want just just buy a weapon because it's small and concealable. You want to make sure it feels good in the hand, and if at all possible you shoot it well if it's available to be rented.
    USM1976, sixgun, BradL and 1 others like this.

I went to three gun stores where I live. Two big chain stores and one Local Gun Shop. The gun I "liked" the best was the Sig P938. I have smallish hands and it fit good in my hands. That being said. I've read a lot about the P938 having failure to eject or load correctly. Has Sig cleared these problems with them?

There are two different issues here. The first is a legal one, and I am not qualified to answer on what the laws in Ohio are on the matter.

The second issue, however, is "what are the personal and/or professional consequences of someone noticing I am armed." If you are friends or work with people who you know are anti-gun, you may wish to be discreet with your carry method. You also stated "casual professional clothes" which I take to mean a polo shirt, tucked into Docker type pants.

If the personal (friendships) and/or professional (employment) consequences of being "outed" are too severe, you might be better served with a smaller, thinner, lighter handgun. There are inside-the-waistband (IWB) holsters that allow you to tuck a shirt in, that have velcro clips that stick to gun belts with mating velcro. Others have C or J clips that can be seen on the belt, but are less obvious than clips or straps that go over the entire belt.

If you want to be more discreet, then you can use other holster options like the Kangaroo holster, the Smartcarry, one of the various holster undershirts, a belly band, or simply pocket carry a small handgun (or two).

Hope this helps.
    DefConGun, Vuva3rae and tmoore912 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I am considering getting a handgun and a CCW in Ohio.
    Depends on your state's particular statutory requirements in that regard. Many states are quite specific about the degree of visibility or apparent gun-shape bulging that's allowable. (I don't know Ohio's particulars, in this regard.)

Basically, most follow the good-faith concealment standard, in which it takes a deliberate lack of concealment or deliberate display (ie, flat failure to have a covering garment at all) for it to be considered failure to conceal. Some get quite testy about it, branding you "criminal" for doing so. Others only label it a weak misdemeanor offense with a token fee and nothing on the record. Depends.

The standard I try to adhere to: Openly carrying consists of clear visibility of the gun, either due to deliberate lack of a covering garment or strict avoidance of concealed positions (ie, hidden in plain view, within a vehicle on my hip, which can easily be taken as concealed by some); and Concealed carrying consists of clearly covered up in all respects, excepting the unintentional and brief display that might occur with a temporary gust of wind or riding-up of the covering garment. Even so, state statutes are going to trump whatever basic guidelines you use. So, go by those statutory requirements.

Ditto on the basic sentiments others have pointed out: even if people suspect you're carrying, they shouldn't see it and really shouldn't be able to distinguish what that shape/bulge really is. That's the whole point of concealment. Further, good concealment is where there's no hint, even, of any strange shape/bulge at that spot. Short of that is where people can get bent, or where the statutes can nab you. Best option is good concealment from view, suspicion.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The definition of concealed is that nobody knows you are carrying. Now, who is to say that this slight bulge is not a cell phone holster or medical device? A small bump or shape is fine IMO so long as it is not identifiable as a gun. The main problem with being "made" is then being charged with brandishing. Even if your state doesn't really have a specific requirement a LEO with a bad attitude could still get you for a breach of peace or something. If I am in doubt, I try to ask someone to tell me what I have on. If they have to look close and guess then I don't worry about it.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    I really think that people over think that people are checking them out looking for any sign of a weapon. With the many things people carry, mostly electronics, today, bulges are pretty common.

Also the state law toward open carry would also need to be considered, but if the gun cannot be seen it should not be an issue from a legal perspective.

As for the glock, I find that what makes a gun difficult to conceal isn't as much the thickness, but the length of the grip.

Welcome! I don't know too much about the P938, except that I want one... any auto can have feed and eject problems, depending on the ammo used, but generally the smaller the gun, the more likely it is, given the same ammo. The cartridge has to move at sharper angles, the slide has less travel, springs have to be smaller, etc.

For concealment, it all depends on how much you're willing (or able) to adjust your wardrobe. Even a smaller guy can conceal the compact glocks (the next size up from the 26 and 27) with a cover garment or tuckable IWB holster, if they get looser-fitting clothes. But, there are many good smaller guns available these days that are perfectly good options, like the Sig, Springfield XDS, CZ RAMI, Ruger LC9, Beretta Nano, S&W Shield, etc. If you go that route, I would just suggest shooting one before buying, if you can find a rental. A 9mm will kick pretty hard in such a small frame.

And there's always .38 snub revolvers to consider...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    OC is legal in OH. While truly concealing is preferred, concealing poorly is not illegal. If you are having trouble concealing a G26/27, are you using cant? If not, canting you gun will help a lot. Hawaii shirts make concealing a breeze and they are very comfortable.

I carry a G30 daily and friends that know I carry can't tell.
    Last edited by ksholder; June 12th, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You might be surprised what you can hide with the right holster. I recently started carrying a G26 but previously had no trouble concealing a full size G22. I use a Comp-Tac Minotuar holster. An LC9 or S&W Shield would also be a good choice.

Thumbs up

I went to three gun stores where I live. Two big chain stores and one Local Gun Shop. The gun I "liked" the best was the Sig P938. I have smallish hands and it fit good in my hands. That being said. I've read a lot about the P938 having failure to eject or load correctly. Has Sig cleared these problems with them?
    The 938 is a fine gun. Most of the issues were on guns made prior to about November 2012. Sig has been very good on returns of the older guns to rectify the problems. Most people have been reporting all has been good with the "fixed" guns. The newer manufactured guns seem just fine as well.Check the born on date on the box prior to purchase. Anything in 2013, and you should be "good to go".

...this may be a good reference item for OP: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - 2013 Concealed Carry Laws Manual

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links