Why do Civillians Call them WEAPONS!!!

This is a discussion on Why do Civillians Call them WEAPONS!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just want to hear the good explanation on why somebody carrying a gun wearing the hat as a civilian calls a gun a weapon. ...

View Poll Results: You call your Conceald Handgun A _____________.

Voters
302. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gun

91 30.13%
  • Firearm

107 35.43%
  • Revolver

4 1.32%
  • Weapon

100 33.11%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Civillians Call them WEAPONS!!!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

I just want to hear the good explanation on why somebody carrying a gun wearing the hat as a civilian calls a gun a weapon.

I understand why Military call them Weapons.
    I understand why LE calls them Weapons.
    Why does a civillian call them weapons?

Military can kick somebody's door down and go room to room and use their handgun, rifle, AT-4, M1 abrams as an offensive tool=Weapon.

LE can use their handguns, shotguns, carbines in the same fashion or use it to make somebody do something "Offensive Tool"=weapon.

Civilians are bound, (not relating to civil disorder) to only use it as a defensive tool in defense of themselves or loved ones thus denoting you do not have a weapon. You have a defensive firearm. Plus if you do shoot somebody in defense, and you are asked by the Cop or prosecuting Attorney, "What happened?" and you say "I pulled my Weapon" that right their adds a negative against your case. Now you must fight the cheap lawyer tricks in termonlogy and try and re-explain to the court you had a defensive tool. The guy attacking you had a weapon, but you had a firearm defending you or your loved ones from his weapon. Most people I meet carrying a revovler call them "REVOLVERS"; however, everybody else who I meet carrying a semi auto calls them Weapons. In fact, the people I meet carrying semi autos, who call them weapons, call the revolvers that people carry Revolvers.

Am I missing something Else as to why everybody calls them Weapons?

Maybe "civilians" are former military/LE and have continued to refer to their "weapon" as such, and friends/acquaintences have picked-up the lingo

Mike
    A "civilian" with a commission

First of all get your terminology straight. Law enforcement officers may be veterans or somehow associated with the military in some cases, but they're mostly civilians. The typical officer is no more in the military than I am.

Well I normally call any gun I carry by its make or model, but you're not out of line calling it a "Weapon" if that's exactly what you plan to use it for. Then again you're not out of line calling an orange peel a weapon if you plan to use it thus.

I don't carry a gun to use as a paperweight. Why shouldn't I call it a weapon if I feel like it?

As a matter of fact you're probably well off using the term "weapon" in some circumstances because that's the LE lingo in some parts. Every officer that's ever pulled me over, friendly and hostile alike, called it my "weapon". If I recognize/use the same language it makes me seem informed and competent.

VIP Member
    I'm one that calls my guns weapons even if its a revolver. I do not know why I do it but that is what I was taught. I'm just the oppitsite than you. When I see some one write on this forum using the term gun, I want to correct them. But I know that is not my place to do so. I do not feel using the term weapon is going to hurt you in court. I think semi smart lawyer will say if you use the term firearm or gun they will say "YOU MEAN WEAPON". It works both ways.

Any tool I may use in defense of my life when it is threatened is a weapon. My knife is a weapon, my pistol is a weapon, a claw hammer in the right circumstances is a weapon.

And yes many of us here are vets. Are you?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    My carry is a firearm - by definition, and being strictly accurate.

However, ''weapon'' is a broad generic term, essentially for anything that can be used as - a weapon! True if used for carry gun it is imprecise but neither tho is it totally innacurate - it is simply a broad categorization.

I think this is in part a case of semantics. I cannot see me losing sleep over it
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

because it is a tool that allows you to defend yourself with deadly force, if you are attacked/threatened then you use whatever weapon is at hand to fight off the attacker, in this case a firearm.

And because the term weapon was beat into my head through years of government training.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

I don't have a problem calling my pistol or my revolver a weapon.

A weapon can certainly be defensive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon

Weapons are designed to kill. My gun is a weapon.

1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
    2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
    3. Zoology. any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.
    –verb (used with object) 4. to supply or equip with a weapon or weapons: to weapon aircraft with heat-seeking missiles.

Political correctness bites again. Man I'm sick of it.

You aren't retarded, you are mentally challenged.
    You aren't fat, you are circumferencally challenged.
    You aren't gimped, you are physically disabled.
    You aren't stupid, you are intellectually challenged.
    You don't have a weapon, you have a supersonic lead dispensing personal, wife, or child protection device.

The ever increasing wussification of the American male. Excuse me while I go puke.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    First off I'm not trashing LE or Military.
    I'm wondering what the rational is CIVILIANS carrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    First of all get your terminology straight. Law enforcement officers may be veterans or somehow associated with the military in some cases, but they're mostly civilians. The typical officer is no more in the military than I am.

Well I normally call any gun I carry by its make or model, but you're not out of line calling it a "Weapon" if that's exactly what you plan to use it for. Then again you're not out of line calling an orange peel a weapon if you plan to use it thus.

I don't carry a gun to use as a paperweight. Why shouldn't I call it a weapon if I feel like it?

As a matter of fact you're probably well off using the term "weapon" in some circumstances because that's the LE lingo in some parts. Every officer that's ever pulled me over, friendly and hostile alike, called it my "weapon". If I recognize/use the same language it makes me seem informed and competent.
    I]Reffering to the classes of people. Military, LE, and Civilian. LE are civilians granted special arresting powers to uphold the law. Thats not my point. [/I]

You can call it a weapon all you want thats fine, but one all of us love our sport, right, and ability to protect ourselves. Weapon is a negative term Period. Calling a gun a weapon aint gonna win any suppe liberal people over.

The word weapon is a noun; however, you said it, an orange peel is a weapon. You must weaponize something in order to make it a weapon. Having more of a action directed toward it.

Thats fine you can call it a weapon, but if you call something a weapon all day long you are creating muscle memory. If you have to use it in defense, at the trial, somebody (prosecuting attorney) is going to put you on the stand and say, "Joe Civilian What happened?"
    You say " I heard glass break, I pulled my weapon and....................... "
    YOUR HONOR if it pleases the court Joe Civilian Pulled a WEAPON out when my client was just mistakenly in the wrong house at 3 in the moring with a handgun he found on the floor, and when he found that handgun he was going to do the right thing and return it to the homeowner who had left it out by accident.

LE and Military are granted special arresting powers, within that it protects them from some of the really dumb things that civilians have to go through.
    No, it tells me your thinking offense, room clearing, zombie deanimation, your a wannabe cop/ SF. Thats what the you have to convince your jury peers.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; November 20th, 2006 at 04:31 PM. Reason: improper italics

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    it is a weapon.
    all other descriptions are subdivisions of the term.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Administrator
    I usually always say:
    Firearm, Pistol, Handgun, Revolver, Wheel Gun & SEMI~auto.
    Sometimes I do say Evil Black Rifle.
    I honestly RARELY ever use the word Weapon.
    It's just a personal quirk of mine but the use of the term weapon does not bother me that much on any Gun related forum.
    I feel that I'm among friends with the exception of those who don't like me.

So Far...I've not gone so "correct" as to call it a
    "Necessary Portable Self~Defensive Projectile Firing Despot Culling and Elimination Device"

VIP Member
    Alot of states have laws forbidding people from carrying "Weapons"

Virginia Does not allow you to carry a Concealed Weapon.

I think alot of people are missing my point.
    Anti gun people call them Weapons because of the negativity of the word, and trying to pick a fight. With us people that are rational and can use slang within are own group of people, we can joke, call a gun a evil black rifle, a praire dog anniliator, or a whiz bang lead flinger.

Freakshow your exactly right it is PC; however, the people that hate us rely on that to use it against us.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; November 20th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.

My Glock is a firearm.

My knife is an edged instrument.

My mind is like a steel trap, just rusted a little bit.

And I use them all as weapons.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I voted for "firearm."

I do however call it a pistol most of the time. You forgot pistol, but remembered revolver. Ain't fair, ain't right! :D

I've also called it a weapon.

To me a weapon is something intended for defense or offense. This differs from, say, my .22, which is a firearm and a tool for taking tree rat and rabbit.

Josh <><

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links