Right to carry in Movie Theatres and Resturants Serving Alcohol in NC

This is a discussion on Right to carry in Movie Theatres and Resturants Serving Alcohol in NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today in NC, the senate will vote on a bill to allow concealed carry in movie theatres and restaurants serving alcohol among other things. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Right to carry in Movie Theatres and Resturants Serving Alcohol in NC

Right to carry in Movie Theatres and Resturants Serving Alcohol in NC

Today in NC, the senate will vote on a bill to allow concealed carry in movie theatres and restaurants serving alcohol among other things. The house passed the bill easily something like 78 to 35. If the senate passes this bill, does it go into effect right away or will it take months or weeks?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    Today in NC, the senate will vote on a bill to allow concealed carry in movie theatres and restaurants serving alcohol among other things. The house passed the bill easily something like 78 to 35. If the senate passes this bill, does it go into effect right away or will it take months or weeks?
    The Senate has modified the bill that was approved by the House. Therefore, once the Senate approves, it will need to go back to the House to have them vote on the "new" version. Once that's done, then it would go to the Governor for signature. There would be a decided on date that it would go into effect, for instance October 1, 2013 (I just made that date up)
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Awesome answer, thank you! Hope it ain't gonna take that long though.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    The Senate has modified the bill that was approved by the House. Therefore, once the Senate approves, it will need to go back to the House to have them vote on the "new" version. Once that's done, then it would go to the Governor for signature. There would be a decided on date that it would go into effect, for instance October 1, 2013 (I just made that date up)
    Let us hope this does not become a (senate/house modified) ping pong ball bill......and that an agreed upon language can be adopted by the house upon it's return after today's vote.
    Ctger05 likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    wow, you can't carry in a theater by law in NC? that's lame. :(

SC has to wait till January for their vote on S308 Restaurant Carry.. clock ran out on ours, and this is a two-year session in SC.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    wow, you can't carry in a theater by law in NC? that's lame.
    Yup, this bill including senate modifications attempt to eliminate a lot of Jim Crow provisions. For example the senate removes the pistol purchase permit which says, "applicant known by sheriff to be of good character". Read good character as proper color. It is being argued that this would be unsafe and allow criminals to buy guns (I say bs) but this is the sort of thing that is up for debate.

VIP Member
    Here is a link to the bill, just scanning through the changes it appears the only changes are to clarify different provisions.

http://www.ncleg.net/Applications/Bi...=5898&SeqNum=0
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Here is a link to the bill, just scanning through the changes it appears the only changes are to clarify different provisions.

http://www.ncleg.net/Applications/Bi...=5898&SeqNum=0
    Can you imagine having to wade through all that, check it, understand it, discuss it, debate it, vote on it... Oh wait, politicians skip the first couple of steps and just start debating.

But seriously... what a tedious task with all the bills flying around all the time. It's a wonder anything actually gets from point A to point Z with all the possible detours.

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    Awesome answer, thank you! Hope it ain't gonna take that long though.
    I can just about assure you it won't be a quick implementation date... Oct 1 or Jan 1 are likely possibilities.

And then you can expect to see a bunch of gun buster signs being put up at a lot of restaurants and movie theaters.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    I can just about assure you it won't be a quick implementation date... Oct 1 or Jan 1 are likely possibilities.

And then you can expect to see a bunch of gun buster signs being put up at a lot of restaurants and movie theaters.
    That did happen back when we first got concealed carry but most came down a short time later.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Recently, Utah OUTLAWED cc'ing in a movie theater. In order to "ensure" that another Aurora doesn't happen. Normally in Utah as in other states, you can ignore most "no gun" signs and leave only if you're asked to. But this is a state law and enforceable, not a simple "no guns" sign kind of thing. Makes ZERO sense to me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Currently in NC you can't carry into any place that charges admission. Never understood the reasoning behind that, even as I grew up in NC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Currently in NC you can't carry into any place that charges admission. Never understood the reasoning behind that, even as I grew up in NC.
    I think it was their attempt to avoid having to list out sporting events, concerts, etc, etc. individually. But that's just a wild guess and it ended up encompassing everything they intended, plus some.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Yup, this bill including senate modifications attempt to eliminate a lot of Jim Crow provisions. For example the senate removes the pistol purchase permit which says, "applicant known by sheriff to be of good character". Read good character as proper color. It is being argued that this would be unsafe and allow criminals to buy guns (I say bs) but this is the sort of thing that is up for debate.
    So, that means you need a sheriff's permission to get a permit buy a gun? Man, I'm glad I live in TX.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    So, that means you need a sheriff's permission to get a permit buy a gun? Man, I'm glad I live in TX.
    Yes, handgun at least. I have a coworker who ran into this. The pistol purchase permit ($5) has the good character clause and he was told that unless a deputy will vouch for you, the sheriff won't approve it. The loop hole is the good character clause. The concealed carry permit ($100 + $100 class) doesn't have any such provision as it is shall issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links