Don't Carry

This is a discussion on Don't Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I forgot to stress that I really appreciate all the comments and Ideas. And I have spent hours reading over many post, from laws, carry ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't Carry

I forgot to stress that I really appreciate all the comments and Ideas.
    And I have spent hours reading over many post, from laws, carry pieces, holster, training. and will continue to do so.
    Thank you,

2. Remove Ads

Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog
    http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefe...g/blogger.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sh39 The road to self sufficiency is long and full of potholes bud. Keep striving and learning. The payoff at the end is remarkable and affects every facet of your life and self image . I stand by my recommendation above, made in the spirit of the board , and wish you well on your way to confidence. Personally I have been a ccw holder over 20 years now in one form or another ( when you count le time ) and imho a couple of pistols , and a few ( unknown of what providence ) courses is not scratching the surface yet . Keep shooting , after all ,no matter your end decision ,shooting is enjoyable , and do consider a nationally recognized school If not LFI then do one that seems to meet your needs . They are expensive , but imho you will receive more than your investment back . Only you can decide what course you will take , and whateaver it is i wish you the best .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member

Please accept my apoligy!

Quote Originally Posted by sh39 View Post

I must tell you that I find it a little over the top for some one to say that I might be a danger to him and his family, because I wont shoot and the BG is going to take my weapon away, therefore make it harder on him and his family.
    Comments like that to me are irresponsible. And I feel violate the spirit of the discussion.

Please accept my apology. I quoted to you what was quoted in one of my self defense class. Our instructor told us if you hesitate The BG will take your weapon from you and then he will have to worry about that weapon being used on him and his family. That makes sense to me. From your thread I did not know how much training yo have received but I got the sense that you might hesitate if you drew your weapon. I felt I was giving you good advice but now feel I might of insulted you which were not my intentions.

Carrying a gun is a big responsibility that you are, I’m happy to see, not taken lightly. You are right to say that those former military or LEO’s have the advantage that they have carried and are trained to carry. I’m one of those and served in the Air Force as a Security Policeman.

Now as a civilian I am responsible for the protection of my family and myself. This is why I choose to carry. I’ve only been carrying a short time because the state I lived in before did not trust it’s people to carry legally. I now take advantage of Montana’s CCW laws and carry all the time.

Life is full of what ifs. A good friend of mine in the Air Force who taught me marksmanship was murdered on the job as a Anchorage, Alaska Police Officer. He was very well trained and motivated but a guy shot him sniper style. Sadly, these things happen. Some things we can not control. What we can control is how we want to respond to it. Do we give in or fight back? Do we take the risk of being the bg to a prosecutor for protecting ourselves or loved ones? To me the answer is yes. Personally, I will spend years in jail if that’s what it takes to save a loved one should a prosecutor want to make an example of me.

I hope that it never comes to this and odds are in my favor especially where I live. But the chance is always there that things could go bad and hopefully it will not get to the FUBAR point.

Good luck in your decision. I wish you well and hope you make the right decision for you and your family.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Take some real training. Then train some more. And read. Read some more. Find someone you trust to practice with. And practice. Practice. Practice. Put your man card in your wallet. After all that, consider that your wifes opinion concerning you and firearms is incorrect. Then start carrying.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I am not ready to go sky diving or swim with sharks. And I'm never ready to stand up and speak in front of a crowd. But I am always ready to end the life of a criminal in defense of myself, my loved ones, or any other innocent party.

Not being in the right mental state can get you killed, so don't carry until you've thought it through and are sure of your limits. Its nothing to be ashamed of and you have a great forum for support.

Does the fact that I may have some concerns render me incapable to carry at this time, NO? Or make me a danger to other people, NO? Can I do it, of course? And I hope no one tries to harm my family or me or they will quickly learn. Do I need to do the
    Wal-Mart thing yes and is coming soon.

I see hundreds of people getting their license that have not spent more then 30 minutes on the range, and take it upon themselves to pronounce that they are now experts. And are walking the streets with a gun in their pocket and don’t even know how to set the safety.

But I have taking it upon myself to learn, train, and practice until I feel comfortable. Is it a cardinal sin to ponder your decision, I hope not?

If more training was the case, then should states, “which already are trying to strip away our rights” demand that in order to carry you need to have ___hours of training, in various disciplines? I don’t think we want that. When is training enough? Probably never.

Right now I am practicing carrying around the house like many have suggested has a way to become comfortable.

Those like me that are taking every step to make sure that we become an asset and not liability should be applauded. I listed some of my concerns, and I know that others that are considering carry share them.

Maybe I should have taking the macho approach and posted “Locked and Loaded” and not ask, for fear of ridicule.

This forum is a wealth of information and by far the best. But a few of you make one feel like, “what is wrong with this guy” I hope my post helps others that maybe contemplating carrying. I appreciate all the advice, and promise that when I walk out that door with my Kimber Ultra CDP ll .45, I will be totally comfortable and prepared.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    sh39 if anything i have posted is percieved as ridicule i heartaly apologise . Be assured I do not intend to ridicule , nor do almost all of the members here . Sometimes I ( and we ) may be a bit crude and direct getting our point across ( hopefully with humor ) but no offense is ment , I do hope the best for you and your choices , further more no matter how " ready " you are i hope you never need to prove your profecciancy on the street . Carry done right ( as imho you are doing it ) is not an easy choice to make . Once made tho it is hard for some of us to remember the process to get there . We tend to take our ( to some ) " macho bring it on locked and loaded " attitude for granted . Feel free to post on any issue I wont be bashfull on commenting , and god knows folks who are more articulate than me will chime inn too . We as a whole would like for CCW to be an uplifting experiance for you that will enable you to go thro life feeling like you have some small mesure of control of your fate . No one here holds you to ridicule , or will think any less of you if for whateaver reason you decide that its just not for you . Many decide that they dont want the problems that go with carry . It sounds like you are a thoughtfull person so i will close with one thought ... " If not me then who" .. be well and be safe .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    sh39 if anything i have posted is percieved as ridicule i heartaly apologise .
    Me too. I'm not really eloquent (although I seem to be able to put a lot of letters in a post). I think that most (if not all) here are the same way.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If you're not comfortable with it don't.

If you end up having to pull the weapon and then can't shoot it will be even worse than if you don't have the weapon.

In the first case, you'll just be dead. In the second, you'll be dead and the badguy will have another weapon.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Redneck,
    Thank you for your comments and I gracefully receive them, and I am encouraged by your words. You are right when you say that we tend to forget how difficult it was to do something that we now find routine.

I do public speaking, and I remember how scare I was the first time, today I can speak in front of thousands, in a church, on the radio or TV. (not a TV evangelist) and wonder why some find it to be so difficult, when it is so easy for me.

Some people have grown up around guns all their life, just by being around them you learn to handle them and appreciate their power and respect their present danger. Some have served in the Military, and have working knowledge of many weapons. And others are part of the LE and they are already used to carrying all day long.
    For others and me the learning curve is different and should be a little longer to make sure we know what we are doing.

I cherish the right to own and bear arms. I came from a place where the only people that have guns are the ones running the government and the BG, which in this case is one of the same.

I find it a duty to this country (USA) to exercise that right, and fight to protect it any way that I can. Carrying may be an option, but to be able to do it is a RIGHT.

Senior Moderator
    Don’t Carry

This is what the little voice inside my head keeps telling me, along with my wife who is terrified that something bad could happen “Don’t Carry”.
    One of the reasons that I bought a gun, and took the CCW class was to feel safe going to a crime-ridden area where I own rental property. I had an experience that opened my eyes, and decided that I should have something to protect me.

While taken care of some business at the property, I found myself outside the unit talking to a new tenant when 3 young man started coming directly at me in what I thought was a threatening posture. Unfortunately today our youth are starting to mimic the “ganster dress style” and it is very hard to distinguish between the Bad & Good.

Thank God nothing happen, it appears that one of them was looking for a place to rent and had heard that the unit was available. Who knows if it was true, they could have gotten cold feet.

Now that I have my conceal license I have yet to carry. A little voice says to me!!!!!

Don’t do it: Why?

1. It is to dangerous something could go wrong
    2. You never been robbed or attacked, you risk the clerk hollering, “He has a gun”. Then what? You could go from law abiding to a felon…
    3. There are many incidents where people have been robbed or killed even when carrying. The element of surprise was in the criminals favor
    4. We just had a wonderful Deputy in Ft. Lauderdale lose is life and his back up wounded, after a routine traffic stop, and according to all reports the deputy followed procedure, except that he was not wearing his bullet proof vest. Regardless of that the point, those poor souls never had a chance to un-holster their weapon to fight back. The BG came out firing…..
    5. The little voice says? Don’t Carry

Please help me…….What say you? I know that many of you have served the nation to protect our freedoms, and others protect our lives day in day out. You have experience carrying either in the military or LEO. So this is may be second nature for you.
    But please help this poor guy that needs to overcome his fears…
    Welcome to the forum, and to the ranks of the lawfully armed private citizenry.

I'd like to address your last point first, and go from there.

A little fear is a good thing. You are taking on a very significant responsibility when you choose to carry a firearm, and a little fear will provide the impetus to study the law, practice your carry method, and maintain proficiency with the firearm.

I would far rather hear from a hundred people who get the license and then are apprehensive about carrying than from one instant ninja who gets the license and believes he (or she) knows everything there is to know about concealed carry.

Being a fellow Floridian, let me point you at a priceless asset that every Florida firearm owner should have - Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms book: www.floridafirearmslaw.com

1. It is to dangerous something could go wrong
    The physical act of carrying a firearm is not inherently dangerous. Modern, well designed and manufactured firearms like your Kimber are very safe, when carried in an appropriate holster.

Speaking of which, what kind of holster / belt are you using? You'd be amazed what kind of a difference a quality belt and holster make.

2. You never been robbed or attacked, you risk the clerk hollering, “He has a gun”. Then what? You could go from law abiding to a felon…
    Inadvertently revealing your firearm is not going to make you a felon.

As for the never being robbed or attacked, consider that luck rather than a sign that having the proper defensive tools (which includes the defensive mindset) is not necessary.

Understand that one of the fundamental things that separates you from the criminal element are the doubts you have had about carrying. A predatory felon doesn't have those doubts, nor second thoughts about what his actions will mean for your future.

We come from the world of "please" and "thank you". Predatory felons come from the world of "die mother@#$#er".

3. There are many incidents where people have been robbed or killed even when carrying. The element of surprise was in the criminals favor
    And there have also been many incidents where a lawfully armed citizen saved his or her own life - or the life of someone else - often without a shot being fired.

4. We just had a wonderful Deputy in Ft. Lauderdale lose is life and his back up wounded, after a routine traffic stop, and according to all reports the deputy followed procedure, except that he was not wearing his bullet proof vest. Regardless of that the point, those poor souls never had a chance to un-holster their weapon to fight back. The BG came out firing…..
    Unfortunately, when we talk about defensive plans and tactics, the bad guy gets a vote, too. In the tragic case you cited, the bad guy's vote won out.

Remember that you won't be doing traffic stops. As civilians, we have a major advantage in defending ourselves - we don't have to go into those situations like traffic stops. The police do.

5. The little voice says? Don’t Carry
    I think this is probably simply the sum of the above concerns.

Carrying a firearm is a new thing for you, and is not something to be taken lightly. I am glad to see you don't take it lightly.

As some others have suggested, one of the best ways to get comfortable carrying the gun is to carry it around the house. Initially, carry it unloaded. Note that as you go about your day, the gun is retained in the holster. The safety remains engaged, and the hammer stays back. You will come to learn that the gun will be fine on your belt.

Once you are comfortable with unloaded carry, load up and get used to that.

Get some training. I'd recommend checking out the basic Defensive Handgun class at Options for Personal Security: http://www.opstraining.com/course.asp?i=9 as a good way to build some confidence and also learn and commit to the proper way to draw the pistol.

Now for the hard part, and you might want to do this before spending any more money on ammo, training or even books.

Ask yourself this question - "In the last resort, am I prepared to take a life if I am threatened with imminent death or great bodily harm?"

Only you can answer this question.

Please don't let the responses to received get you down - although the words may have seemed a bit strong, I honestly believe that everyone who has responded to you is genuinely trying to offer advice with the best of intentions.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Tanksoldier,
    I never said that I could not handle the weapon. Just in case you are concern that the BG is going to rip it out of my weak incapable hands, because I post a question expressing some concerns that I have, and want to hear from those that may have gone throught the same process and have experience.
    If one has like Rambo everytime one brings up a question then why have an honest discussion on "Conceal Carry Issues".
    Not trying to be a smart ---s but your comments are over the top.

VIP Member
    Everyone here has been trying to give you good advice and yes some of us are not candy coating it. If we are getting the impression some one can come along a take you weapon from you that is because your thread made it sound that way. No one here is a Rambo nor are we trying to be. I have PMed you to appoligize to you and posted an appoligy to you because I thought I might of hurt your feelings. No one here has gone over the top but the one who is having a hard time hearing comments that you do not agree with.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links