Don't Carry - Page 3

Don't Carry

This is a discussion on Don't Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even the best trained experts can have a gun taken away from them. It can happen to anyone. No one was insulting your manhood. Relax....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't Carry

Even the best trained experts can have a gun taken away from them. It can happen to anyone. No one was insulting your manhood. Relax.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    Did I miss something? Where is the insulting post?

Matt,

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. Your advice is well received.
    Sitting on the other side of the keyboard one is taking back with the reaction from my post.

From my side I get the feeling, maybe not intended, that people are surprised by my questions. I must say that some of the responses are a bit over the top. I guess if you carry and have the experience, you have some kind of advantage in the knowledge base. Therefore you have the right to belittle and make outrageous statements about ones mental state and competence in the handling a firearm.

I thought long about making the post, and new that if I put the title “Don’t Carry” that I would get some interest. Because in the world that I live people ask themselves that question. And have many of the concerns that I voiced. Nonetheless, I make decisions based on counsel and personal knowledge and experience, which at times has come at a great price.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sh one of my friends here in town is from shall we say the balkins , he was part of the minority there . He has some issues too LOL . Its all good , proceed at your own pace , and again i stand by my reccomendation of a nationaly recognised school . My pick of the litter ( for your situation ) is listed . In any event Be well , Be safe , and my best to you on your journey .

edited to add :
    Therefore you have the right to belittle and make outrageous statements about ones mental state and competence in the handling a firearm.
    sh, sorry but i honestly dont feel like anyone has belittled you , as stated if i insulted you apologys , but belittle no , nor have i seen a post doing that by any member here . Could things have been said better by members myself included YES , but dont confuse it with belittlement , everyone here has no intrest in you except to help . If a comment stings a bit , well ask for clearification , or grow a thicker skin. We do care about you , but will be ourselves also .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; November 20th, 2006 at 09:53 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Now is my turn, If I offended anyone please forgive me, it is not my intentions. In the future I will think long and hard about any post or comments that I make and try to avoid creating misunderstanding. I appreciate the forum and enjoy it very much.
    Thank you for your input.

Administrator

I think that everyone here has been decently well intentioned.
    In your thread post you stated that you have an inner voice telling you not to carry.
    It would not be very responsible for other forum members to tell you to do a forced override of your own gut instinct and tell you to go ahead and carry anyway.

TankSoldier is a military guy and so (quite naturally) looks at life through an additional "military spyglass of reasoning and stated fact" in that if a human being has a stated gut feeling of doubt...then that gut feeling should probably best be paid attention to and corrected by any means possible. That is why we have the best military in the world.
    Paying attention to gut feelings helps keep soldiers alive as would be being "totally tuned" toward staying alive. That comes with intensive training.

I think everyone has your best interest at heart.

It's very natural for some folks to feel that the active, positive preparation for some possible scenario is somehow a precursor to making that event more likely to happen.
    Such is not the case but, it's common for some people to think that way anyway.

I actually applaud your extreme effort in "thinking everything through" in great and minute detail.
    I agree that not enough people realize the great responsibility that comes with carrying a device that can so easily and quickly end another life.
    Death is very forever and final...so careful thinking is necessary to get things straight and square in your own mind.
    Everybody has a different way of doing that.
    One way is probably no better than any other way & that is why we are all unique as individuals.
    Training and extensive practice helps.
    My "bottom line" gut impression is that you are an extremely responsible gun owner.
    That is a good thing but, as responsible as I personally think you are...I would not want to recommend that you carry if you have doubts as to if you really want to or not.
    That would not be very responsible of me as one good person speaking to another.

Administrator
    This has been a interesting thread...sh39, no one was attacking your abilities or your manliness, self defense is 98% a mental game.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sh I want to re state that the type training i keep harping on covers much more than physical skills . The skill set is the easy thing to build , The confidence to use it properly is hard , as any trainer worth thier salt will tell you . That is why in your case ( taking the concerns you have listed ) I reccomend a nationaly recognised school , LFI , Gunsite , Ect.. Thiese schools do cost , but they are a bit more than two days range time , You will learn a lot about handeling a pistol , but more , you will learn about the mindset , responsibility , and legality that is needed for having leithal force avalable to you immediatly , on a day to day basis . I dont know how much brownie and some of the instructors that come to this board cover the issues other than shooting , but contacting them tho might be a great first step . They are all responsible , considerate folks who want the absolute best for all thier students .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I may some day be in a vehicular accident in which my seatbelt is completely useless in saving my life. Should I simply give up wearing it entirely, just because in some circumstances it won't be of any help?

SH,
    Rule No. 1, you have not only a right to protect yourself but an obligation to protect yourself, not only for your own sake but for your family. You have a wife and probably children who love you.
    Rule No. 2, see rule number 1
    Use your gun, go to the range as often a possible, you will become more confident and familiar with your firearm and heck, it's just plain fun !

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I didn't read the whole thread , so pardon me for being brief.

I carry because I know that no one else is truly responsible
    for my safety.

I also value my lifemore than the life or wellbeing of any
    scumbag who might try to prey on me or mine.

Until you can say the same........... Don't Carry...........
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Lead Moderator
    Sh39, I don't think anyone is intentionally insulting you. As CCw'ers we have made the choice to carry and possibly have to shoot to protect ourselves or others. If you feel you are not ready for whatever reason, don't. Only you can decide what is right for you and yours.
    I think if you really look at the overall picture, you will find our members the best, most polite of any forum out there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

sh39:

I spent two years on the Q&A of the relevant questions, before I started carrying. During that two years, I was a sponge, trained toward competence at the range, and listened to a number of top-notch trainers discuss the risks/rewards of carrying. But at the end of that time, I had answered each of the questions.

Back in September, I started a thread asking folks what their thinking was prior to carrying. In it, I also described the various questions that I felt compelled to first understand and answer, before I would be willing to accept the responsibility, avoid incompetency, avoid harming bystanders.

Suggestion: Purchase the book entitled "In The Gravest Extreme," by Massad Ayoob. It takes you down the path of each relevant question for the person considering carrying a firearm for defense. There are some simple realities to doing so. In a nutshell, this book expertly covers the thinking, the physical reality, the legal reality, the aftermath. Another good book (also by Ayoob) is "The Truth About Self Protection."

...let me point you at a priceless asset that every Florida firearm owner should have - Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms book: www.floridafirearmslaw.com
    I've got that one, as well. It's extremely well-written, with discussion about the context of things ... not merely spouting the laws in different font. Invaluable.

Definitely read the archived material, here, in the forums. There are a good number of tremendously experienced people that frequent CC. Lots of good recommendations, caveats.

I'd strongly suggest going to a top-notch course, sometime soon. A course that's focused on the defensive carry equation, not merely shooting skills. Some good ones exist and can help clarify the issues for you. Still, you'll need to ask the questions of yourself and come up with the answers. Such reading/courses can help come to those answers.

Re: comments, criticisms and other suggestions by everyone here. The one wonderful aspect of CC.com is that folks are so willing to help with constructive feedback and legitimate alternatives. I try very hard to check my "stripes" at the door, each time I post. While I have solid rationale for why I do some of the things I do, by no means have I figured everything out. Guaranteed, somewhere on CC.com there is someone that has figured out a safer, better way to achieve the same thing, often without the downsides my alternatives created. This is the one place it's absolutely safe to offer up your thinking and have others (with greater knowledge) poke holes in it. See if it floats. If it doesn't, realize that the wisdom being offered up is done in the hopes of improvement for everyone. Remember, the folks who come here are the good guys.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 20th, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1 SIXTO
    Self Defense is a mental game. sh39, having a gun does not guarantee your safety (but it can help) just as not having a gun does not guarantee harm. I believe I stated on some thread before if my brain/training/practice does not get me out of a situation, any number of guns will not help. A firearm is just a tool for your brain/training/practice to use. You seem to question if you should carry or not, therefore IMO your brain has not committed, and you should not carry until you do commit because defense is mostly a mental issue. This has been the response of almost everyone posting on this in one way or another.

Please don't take offense, I (or anyone else posting on this as far as I can tell) am not questioning your intelligence as you are articulate and obviously intelligent, nor am I questioning your manliness, strength, ability/desire to protect your family, or if you have watched enough of the Rambo movies. I'm just saying as long as a little voice tells you not to carry, you shouldn't. Follow Redneck Repairs (and others) advise and go to a training school of merit, practice as often as possible, and the little voice will go away or at least speak about something different. Use selective hearing on your wife .
    I think it is great you question this, and I've enjoyed reading all the responses on this thread.
    Regardless of how you proceed, Good Luck and Best Wishes!

I have read through this thread and honestly see no belittling. I cannot add much but would like to emphasize what others have said about mind set being very important in deciding to carry. You can have skills but without the proper mindset the skills will be of little avail. The proper mindset includes being convinced that you should carry and being prepared to use the weapon if the use of deadly force is required.

If you still have doubts then don't carry. It's ok.

When I first thought about buying a firearm I had a bit of fear of using or carrying one. One of my friends who was an army Sargent for many years told me that there was a difference between a fear of firearms and a respect for firearms. I have remembered this.

There are many things we do in our lives that entail some risk, driving a 4000 lb car at 70 mph is a risk. But it is something I do every day. I respect the capabilities of the car and do not overestimate my capabilities as a driver (mindset) thus I successfully manage the risk. As I recall when I first began driving many years ago I was afraid to drive over 50 mph but with experience the fear went away but the respect for the machine (car) remains.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links