I work in a park...Gun in Car?

This is a discussion on I work in a park...Gun in Car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in a county owned building that is surrounded by a county park. There is a no weapons sign on my building so if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I work in a park...Gun in Car?

I work in a county owned building that is surrounded by a county park. There is a no weapons sign on my building so if I do decide to CCW I can't carry in my office. Unique to my building is that the 53 acres surrounding is a county park. The big park sign says no firearms. Can I keep my pistol parked in the car in where I work? There is no alternative parking since this park and my office are in a rural setting.

Thanks.

You would have to chack with you state and local laws. What state do you live in?
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

No cant have in park

I live in Ohio. If it truly is the case that I can't keep my (yet to be purchased) pistol in the car then I am basically out of luck for CCW then. 75% of my life is either driving to or from work... going from work to somewhere else... or going to work from somewhere else. I have rifles at home for "home protection" and rarely go from home anywhere! What good would a CCW be then if I could rarely ever carry?

VIP Member
    As I understand it Ohio has preemption so there are no local laws that override state law on the matter. I believe that in Ohio it is legal to CC on state/local government property as long as you do not enter any closed structure (other than a free standing restroom). So I question the legality of the no guns sign. You can probably have them remove the sign if you go about it the right way.

However, I am not a lawyer and I would check very carefully before CCing to work because signs do carry the weight of law. I know just recently that Ohio had to remove all their no gun signs at rest stops because of the above mention wording. Someone will be along shortly with the actual code.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I should re-clarify that I work in a County owned building in a County park. I'll ask a county park ranger... they all seem nice enough.

I am not a lawyer.

But, you can research government buildings, state pre-emption, prohibited places, legal signage, and parking areas in the ORC.

Go to your county sheriff, and ask for a CHL handbook (can also be found on the Attorney General's website.)
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

In Nebraska, one is allowed to store a handgun in a locked container inside a locked vehicle in the parking lot of locations where handguns are otherwise prohibited, if the parking lot is publicly accessible. For example, you can't carry in a school, but you can have it locked in your car in the school parking lot. That doesn't protect you from workplace policies though. For example, a teacher with a CHP would be fired for having a gun on school grounds because it violates workplace rules.

I'm prohibited from carrying in my company facility, but can have it in the car in the lot. As a result, I rarely carry on a workday.

As others have said, every state is different and all are probably quirky enough to have esoteric rules that can trip you up if you are not careful. This was covered in depth in my CHP class, hopefully they offered you resources to research this stuff for Ohio.

I went to the state of Ohio website. It wasn't specific enough about my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by b2187101 View Post
    I went to the state of Ohio website. It wasn't specific enough about my situation.
    And that's how the Ohio Revised code always is.

As another poster pointed out, there is the question of legality, and also employer regulation issues, which very well may be different.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b2187101 View Post
    Another place to ask is here. Maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Ohio CCW Information Center

Also, I wouldn't ask the park ranger. He probably put up the signs. If you ask anyone it should be someone higher up the legal food chain. I suggest either the county DA office or call your local state representatives office. State politicians have staffers that will really get you on the right track.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I read somewhere anything that is not illegal is legal.
    welder516 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    IANAL, but from looking at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf Ohio has preemption and carry in State Parks is legal, just not in buildings. From what I read on your preemption, it doesn't appear it gives the county authority to over ride state law. You might also want to check with your state grassroots organization on the matter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    IANAL, but from looking at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf Ohio has preemption and carry in State Parks is legal, just not in buildings. From what I read on your preemption, it doesn't appear it gives the county authority to over ride state law. You might also want to check with your state grassroots organization on the matter.
    This is what I think too. The problem is that signs do carry the weight of law in Ohio and since it says no guns it is illegal to carry there.

It seems to me that it is illegal to have the no guns sign and it is also illegal to carry there because of the no guns sign. The way to fix it is to get the sign removed BEFORE you carry.

well, I was just planning on locking the gun in the car while at work. Driving from work to the range, that sort of thing. No plan on carrying at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links