Tough decision on shooting range membership

This is a discussion on Tough decision on shooting range membership within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well guys I think I'm done with my range membership. Here are my reasons in the last year I've spent a lot of money on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tough decision on shooting range membership

Tough decision on shooting range membership

Well guys I think I'm done with my range membership. Here are my reasons in the last year I've spent a lot of money on ammo, and I find that I'm shooting more than I need too at least more than I ever have before! I just took stock of my pistol ammo 600rds FMJ and 40rds of defensive in 40 cal... 400rds FMJ & 20rds defensive in 9mm... 300rds FMJ & 90rds defensive in 380 and just over 2700rds of 22lr. This cost combined with my yearly shooting fees add up to a obscene amount of money, I think I'll go back to my bi weekly informal target shooting that my friend & I used to do. Yes the range is nice in bad weather and the staff are great folks! I'd like to say my shooting has greatly improved...But not really. With what I have know I think I can add ammo when avail. and still never worry about running out. Until last summer I had never joined a shooting range, and to be honest after a year I don't think I really missed anything. That and I truly like just shooting solo or with a friend, in the back of my mind I always worry about the person in the next stall and wonder if they follow safe shooting practices. Am I wrong to bail out of the membership?

2. Remove Ads

I think you've already answered your own questions as to your decision...Do what's best for you, and not what the majority might suggest...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I think you've already answered your own questions as to your decision...Do what's best for you, and not what the majority might suggest...JMO
    I have to agree with First Sgt. It sounds like you have made up your mind...

Ammo ain't cheap, that's for sure. If you can still get some practice in, no big deal.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I used to live in a place where annual unlimited memberships at an outdoor open spacious range were around $60. In that case, a range membership is an obvious "yes". But, where I am now, it's $300/yr for narrow lanes with a bunch of restrictions. I'll just go find some National Forest land to go plink on with some buddies who I trust...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

The guys at my range told me I was just wasting money after a certain point shooting at paper. They said I had achieved proficiency at my chosen SD ranges and was shooting until tired and making mistakes. They recommended I join the IDPA group that practiced at the range so that I would get training on more skills than just shooting paper targets from a stationary position.

I dont compete but I get lots of (cheap...$10/practice) time moving, shooting from different positions, different distances, being timed/watched which equals some pressure, etc. I might compete someday but that would only be to increase the stress level.
    blitzburgh and HAGJewels like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    The guys at my range told me I was just wasting money after a certain point shooting at paper. They said I had achieved proficiency at my chosen SD ranges and was shooting until tired and making mistakes. They recommended I join the IDPA group that practiced at the range so that I would get training on more skills than just shooting paper targets from a stationary position.

I dont compete but I get lots of (cheap...$10/practice) time moving, shooting from different positions, different distances, being timed/watched which equals some pressure, etc. I might compete someday but that would only be to increase the stress level.
    Where is this IDPA group at? I would love to do that....
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's like signing up at a local gym; once you've paid, you feel obliged to use it. I passed on joining a range here because after doing the goat math, I'd have to go "X" number of times just to break even with the number of times I'd probably go and pay at the door.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Not wrong at all. I just went to the range today. Put 100 rounds through my shield 9mm, and 100 through the bodyguard 380. At around 31.00 per 100 rounds thats 62.00 in ammo. 22.00 to rent the range and gas to get there at 34 miles each way. So each trip is roughly 100.00 bucks. I have to ask the question. How much practice is enough with a hand gun because it does get expensive?

I just let my range membership lapse at the range near my workplace. It was expensive $200/yr, and about 30 miles from home. I decided to take the year off from frequent practice, due to ammo availability and cost. In the meantime I am on the waiting list for another range closer to home, and only $50/yr. The cost of this range I can tolerate even if I only use it once a month. Range also offers purchasing firearms through their FFL at dealer cost, almost worth the price of admission alone.

Range cost.. one thing I'm not really looking forward to about moving back to Pittsburgh, PA. Here (in SC), I can walk out my door and to the right and shoot on my own little setup on my land. But, back to the city I must go.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

That's an awesome point you bring up. After a certain point it makes perfect sense to move onto something more challenging and just keep elevating from there.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    There is no right or wrong to it, just do what you feel you should do, and enjoy shooting when you can.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Having nearby shooting spots as alternatives to a traditional "range" setting can be liberating, relaxing. Whatever floats your boat.

Myself, I much prefer a bit "wilder" setting. Love going to BLM and other public lands where it's out of the way, beautiful, safe for making an afternoon of it without all the rules and regs of a formal range.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just shooting paper without a video reference of what you are doing right and wrong and without a shooting coach is not helpful in my opinion. Look around for a shooting coach take some lessons then video your shooting for them to evaluate. Just repeating the things you do wrong gets you no where. Going to a range with a particular thing to cure or practice makes more sense to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links