Changes coming in NC CCW laws

This is a discussion on Changes coming in NC CCW laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; North Carolina Senate tentatively OKs concealed-carry bill | MyFOX8.com RALEIGH, N.C. — A measure that lets people carry concealed firearms in more places and repeals ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BkCo1

Thread: Changes coming in NC CCW laws

Changes coming in NC CCW laws

North Carolina Senate tentatively OKs concealed-carry bill | MyFOX8.com

RALEIGH, N.C. — A measure that lets people carry concealed firearms in more places and repeals a requirement to get a license to buy a handgun tentatively passed the North Carolina Senate Wednesday, according to The Associated Press.

The Senate version broadens the scope of a bill that already passed the House. Democrats say the measure encourages more gun violence. Republican counter that the bill protects responsible gun owners from criminals.

The Senate’s changes allow concealed-carry permit holders to store weapons in locked cars on the campus of any public university or school. It also clarifies state law to say permit holders can carry their firearms on trails, other passive recreation areas and playgrounds.

The bill keeps the House provision allowing concealed-carry permit holders to take weapons to places where alcohol is served or events that charge admission as long as an owner doesn’t expressly forbid it. However, the Senate’s changes also add parades and funeral processions to the places people can take concealed weapons legally.

People would also be able to buy handguns without first obtaining a license from a county sheriff. Records of concealed-carry permits issued and weapons sales would also not be open to the public
    I'm especially excited about the changes regarding the need for a purchase permit. Being in the military, we have to have a letter signed from the command, and checks with the base MP's before we could even request a permit from the sheriff, which is a total pain.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Sounds good.....hope we get something rolling south of the border here in SC.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Never understood having to have a sheriff's permission to purchase a handgun, but growing up in NC, I understand where that requirement came from--not that it made one iota of a difference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I understand the requirement as well, coming from a time when the sheriff really did know most everyone in the town, which I'm assuming where this originated. Anymore, especially in the more populace areas obviously, that's just not practical anymore.

It came about during the Reconstruction Period after the Civil War. It was designed to prevent blacks from being armed and made it less dangerous for the KKK.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Never understood having to have a sheriff's permission to purchase a handgun, but growing up in NC, I understand where that requirement came from--not that it made one iota of a difference.
    Initially it was done for a number of reasons...The sheriff's departments in each of the 100 counties was responsible for issuing permits to purchase in order to run a NCIC background check on applicants in hopes of keeping persons with criminal records or outstanding warrants out of the gun buying business and thereby spreading the burden of doing this across the entire state rather than on stores or a central processing facility. \

It also gave the sheriff's office a paper trail...name/address/phone/work place/fingerprints etc...of everyone getting gun permits...

at a charge of $9.00 (or whatever it was) they probably lost money doing it.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I just hope that they will put something in that will let a gun board waive the 6 month residency requirement if you move from another 'resident only' state... like Michigan.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    It came about during the Reconstruction Period after the Civil War. It was designed to prevent blacks from being armed and made it less dangerous for the KKK.
    Paper trail my butt. there's the reason. Jim Crow laws. you don't think a state-issued permit has the same "paper trail"? Having grown up there and gone thru the "desegregation" period of the '60s, I know the mentality that still exists there in many places.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The PPP (pistol purchase permit) wasn't that big of a deal, except in counties that added requirements. Before I had my CHP, the PPP process was simple in my county, go fill out a form, tell them how many permits I wanted (max 10 state law) and go pick them up (and pay for them @ $5 each) when they were ready. Took a week. Part of the intent from early pro-gun legislation was to make the laws apply equally across the state, disallowing local gov special restrictions. The elimination of the PPP will do this.

However several sheriff added unnecessary and draconian requirements or limited the number you could receive at one time (as low as 3). Some sheriff's required that you also submit notarized affidavits as to your character as part of the application.

I am literally stunned that this bill got through the Senate, but was significantly enhanced by the Senate. Now back to the House for a single vote on the changes the Senate added and it's a done deal, except for the totally unknown, what the self-serving governor will do. I will continue my full court press when this appears on the House calendar, then the governor directly.

Links