Carrying at Work

This is a discussion on Carrying at Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am new to CCH and was wanting to see how others handle carrying at work (or not carrying). For those whose employeers do ...

Thread: Carrying at Work

Question Carrying at Work

Hello, I am new to CCH and was wanting to see how others handle carrying at work (or not carrying). For those whose employeers do not allow weapons (which I would imagine is most) how do you handle this? Do you carry to and from? If so what do you do with your firearm when it is not in your possession? Thanks for any advice you may give.

Mark

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Search is your friend , we have had several threads on this , one fairly reciently . It seems to allways deteriate into a hotbutton topic on employer rights , personal rights , and morality .. if reading other threads will answer your question i kinda hate to see it brought up again .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Hi there vernonator.....welcome to the forum.

What are your employer's rules? Whatcha carry?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Vern

Yes indeed, without trying to evade the issue - we do have this subject covered pretty well and a search could well yield relevant threads.

Much will depend on your employers written rules and how binding they are or not. Really - a lot to consider and one thing we do not advocate here is illegal carry so - need to establish legality first and foremost then - what will wash!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    Hello, I am new to CCH and was wanting to see how others handle carrying at work (or not carrying). For those whose employeers do not allow weapons (which I would imagine is most) how do you handle this? Do you carry to and from? If so what do you do with your firearm when it is not in your possession? Thanks for any advice you may give.

Mark
    Welcome...
    My employer does not allow me to carry at work. I carry to and from and leave my firearm in my truck. I also have a very good alarm system on my truck...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    What makes an alarm system "very good," as in better than others, that it makes your firearms in your truck better protected than average?

Aren't all alarm systems dependent on the idea that someone nearby is going to be attentive to the fact that they're sounding, and stop whoever it is who is breaking into the vehicle?

Or do you have a system like Bond had in one of the Roger Moore era films (For Your Eyes Only? The Spy Who Loved Me?) where the car explodes when the window gets smashed? Heh, at least the badguy wouldn't have yer guns to play with!

As soon as my CWP arrives I will be formaly asking permission to carry at work. I have some "reasons" for justifying it and there is already precident of permission granted for similar reasons (and even less reasons than mine). I work at a major University where it is forbidden without permission. I fully expect to be granted permission. But I will cross that bridge when it gets here around the first of the year. I write and implement the security plan for my operation. And so it is written in. Aided by the fact that our "authority" wishes not to be active in that plan as much as possible, it paves the way for permission. So it's almost by their choice or action (or lack there of) that I will be given permission to carry there. My facility is on one extreme end of a large rural campus and does work that is subject to extra security under the Terrorist Act.

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Hi there vernonator.....welcome to the forum.

What are your employer's rules? Whatcha carry?
    Thanks for the welcome!!! I apologize for not doing a search - I am in no way a forum newbie...my bad.

I currently do not carry at all - I got my CCH on the urging from my LE friends. In Iowa the individual county sheriff sets the standards for who gets approved. My counties current sheriff is very open - if you pass the class and the background check you are in. He is planning on retiring shortly and you never know who will get elected.

I had a recent encounter on the way to work with a tire iron wielding road-rager that resulted in a cracked rib (trapped the iron between my side and arm as he swung it at me) and a sprained wrist (sharp palm strike to his nose). So to be better prepared in a similar situation I am going to start carrying on a regular basis

My companies policy is no weapons (knives, guns, explosoives, replica weapons, etc) on company grounds or while on company business, as an additional note I park in a corporate parking garage.

I am on the hunt for a commander sized 1911 a colt, kimber, SA - whatever feels best in my hand.

deep concealment and don't tell :)

First, you want to be legal. Then you have to decide how much you are willing to risk losing your job. A lot of people will suggest (as the poster above) that you conceal the gun well and ignore company policy. That's fine, but you have to be aware that you risk losing your job. Of course, you might say, "better to lose my job than to lose my life."

I wouldn't argue with that, but you just have to be aware that you are taking a gamble and be aware of the odds of getting caught, versus the odds of getting attacked, versus the odds of...

If you choose to leave your gun in your car while at work you really should get some sort of bolt-in gun safe. An alarm system is fine, but I (and many others) just don't believe it is enough.

Links