A Five Year Analysis

This is a discussion on A Five Year Analysis within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who like numbers and statistics here is a good read, you will have to have a Face Book account to read it though. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By loboleather

Thread: A Five Year Analysis

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

A Five Year Analysis

For those who like numbers and statistics here is a good read, you will have to have a Face Book account to read it though. (or I think you will)

Overview of Survey
    For the period 1997 - 2001, reports from "The Armed Citizen" column of the NRA Journals were collected. There were 482 incidents available for inclusion in the analysis. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included. The database is self-selecting in that no non-positive outcomes were reported in the column.

6) This analysis does not present a view of the totality of armed self-defense in that non-positive outcomes were not available for inclusion in the database. The analysis may, however, be useful in helping to describe a methodology for successful armed self-defense. This methodology might be described as:
    1. be aware,
    2. be willing to fight,
    3. have a weapon accessible,
    4. be familiar enough with the weapon to employ it without fumbling,
    5. when ready, communicate, both verbally and non-verbally, to the attacker that resistance will be given, and
    6. if the attacker does not withdraw, counterattack without hesitation.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/claud...41807512504482
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like good advice to me.

When folks ask me why I carry a gun I tell them that I also carry homeowners' insurance but I don't want my house to burn down, I carry car insurance but I don't look forward to being in an accident, and I carry a gun but I don't want to be in a gun fight. It's just that there are some things that are better to have and not need than to ever need and not have.
    BlueHawk76 and Aceoky like this.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Claude's practical approach to firearms and self defense in general never ceases to amaze.

I read his report earlier today and found the results very interesting.

VIP Member
    Good advice. It's too bad I've sold all my guns and now have only a slingshot for HD.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Good advice. It's too bad I've sold all my guns and now have only a slingshot for HD.
    That was after that boating accident where all your ammo went overboard, right?

I have a few guns around .

I also have a few fire extinguishers handy . Hope to never need any of these things (insurance etc. included) but as BSOA - "Be Prepared" seems to be a good/great idea IMO

Wow, that analysis is a great example of "keen grasp of the obvious."

Or, a brief restatement of Jeff Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense"
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I posted the link to Claude's story on my Facebook account this morning as I thought it was a great read. A short while later, the link now connects to a page: Sorry, this page is unavailable blah blah blah. I can assume that Facebook does NOT share our resolve for the 2nd Amendment!

I don't have a FB. But I've been thinking about buying a gun though. Sounds like timmy's off to a great start on his CA SHTF gear.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links