How you got your start?

This is a discussion on How you got your start? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious about how people got started with guns or why they chose to get their CPL... Were you raised learning about gun safety or ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: How you got your start?

How you got your start?

Just curious about how people got started with guns or why they chose to get their CPL... Were you raised learning about gun safety or was there an incident that made you consider it??
    In my case, I was taught by my mother that guns were the root of all evil... I later grew up to learn that my dad always had one with him (go figure). But what really pushed me to learn more about guns and get my CPL was when I was at my house alone taking a shower and I thought I heard a noise... So I turned the water off and listened... And then there were voices going through the hall outside my bathroom door! I freaked out! I started going through my mind about what to do and I knew I was screwed bc my glock was in the safe under my bed across the house. So I quietly got my towel and peeked out of the bathroom and saw my parents in the kitchen. Thank goodness!! I was shaking soo much! Apparently the front door wasn't locked the night before and they let themselves in (they have no boundaries). With in 2 weeks of that I was sitting in my CPL class and learning all I could. Now, I check all door and window locks constantly through out the day and always have at least one gun with me bc I know that day could have gone a terribly different way. I always shower with my gun between the 2 curtains; so if someone were in the bathroom, they wouldn't ever know if I picked it up or that it was even there. Some call it paranoid, but I call it having my eyes opened.
    Snub44, NONAME762, BIGSAM and 4 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Was MP always liked handguns of all sorts, in my youth I traveled an worked all over the country as an Ironworker always had a gun with me worked in alot of unsavory places. Better to have an not need than need and not have.
    GhostMaker likes this.

VIP Member
    I was raised with guns.

I got my CWP when my occupation changed and I realized that I was the only one who wasn't carrying.
    carracer likes this.

VIP Member
    Military brat. Dad only had a few, but always loved to shoot.

Self employed and travel for work quite a bit in the liberty lovin' states that surround me so decided to get my permit and get after it.

VIP Member
    Was a young shooter 12 or so with a 22 long rifle under the crawl space of a school i belonged to a shooting club . Then as an adult bought many guns over the years and still buying . Got my permit because of crime at our place of business . (break-ins)

...Daddy kissed Mama...

...OH...GUNS!!!...well, I saw at an early age that there are a lot of folks who don't care anything about others...and will take what they want and force their way...from about 8, I've wanted to make a difference...Marines...cop...security guy...now just a very wide-awake old citizen...who is serious about SD and doing my part to keep Mama and the neighbors safe...
    ...it's not something you do a little bit...or halfway...if you're going to make the commitment to protect yourself...give it your all, just like anything else worthwhile...your example is a good one...be prepared...trouble never makes an appointment...
    ...my wife of 28 years hated guns...then she understood...then she got her permit(shot VERY well first time) and now has her own .38, which she has NEVER carried...just TODAY, after telling her she would feel awful watching her best friend being assaulted at gun or knifepoint because she was too lazy to carry...she promised me she'd start...they walk early and late and in a park nearby about 1/4 mile from one of THOSE apt. complexes...we've all had over a dozen conversations with her...today she came around...
    ...welcome and thank you for taking safety seriously...and doing your part...

I grew up in a non-gun family. Dad was a WWII vet and had no use at all for guns, though he had a P38 he brought back from Europe which he kept in the bedroom closet. A young men's organization to which I belonged planned a shooting outing with .22 rifles when I was fourteen. I was allowed to go and had fun. I had been shooting BB guns for a few years before that, but that little event started me on the path of shooting and owning firearms.
    Aceoky likes this.

I was marginally raised around guns. After graduating college and getting my first professional job I bought a pistol for home defense. Years later I took a CCW class with my dad but never really planned on carrying. I didn't even apply for my permit for a good 9 months after the class.

Then I switched careers and went into real estate and felt the need to be armed when showing homes and hosting open houses. Since then I have become more and more interested in guns. I have revolvers and pistols that can fit most carry needs from full size, compact, sub compacts and micro pocket pistols. But I have adopted revolvers, namely the LCR as my main carry gun. I started pocket carrying as a realtor and continue the trend of pocket carry 99% with the other 1% being OWB.

I have carried every day except when not legal to since I started carrying. I have never gotten into a lazy period of not carrying. I started carrying with an LCP, tried a bunch of other guns and now prefer the LCR in the pocket with the LCP getting the nod only in certain clothing restrictions.

I prefer pocket carry because it is easy to always have a gun on you. You don't have to adjust many aspects of your wardrobe with pocket carry. I feel fine with a 5 shot revolver. I can grip my firearm ready to draw and I just look like a guy shuffling around with his hands in his pockets.

I am the grey man.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

When I was a kid, we weren't a pistol kinda family. Dad was (and is) a crack shot with a rifle, I think most of the deer and such he got were at a minimum of 500 yards, and coyotes were always good for target practice, but we never really had pistols around.

At one point, I decided to get my CPL and a pistol, but never had the cash for it. A few years after that, I was jumped and beaten pretty severely while walking with a female friend. Fortunately, they were more interested in trying to mug me than do anything to her, but it was a wakeup call.

I still couldn't afford to carry, but another year or two later, I finally got my first carry gun. I've carried every day since.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Raised by mom, who carried and always had a .38 Special nearby. Great memories of Mom taking me to the range on occasion as a li'l Iggy.

I've always had a pistol in the house, but never really thought much about it, but last year for whatever reason started thinking about home protection and bought a couple of shotguns, then thought about wanting to keep a pistol in my car "just in case" but found out that in NC you can't keep one in the passenger compartment if it's hidden/concealed unless you have a CC permit... so, ended up getting my permit last summer. Now I feel strange if I decide to run to the grocery store real quick and don't grab my G27 on the way out.... Go figure.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Distinguished Member
    I grew up in NYC so guns were not allowed. However my dad was a federal agent and carried a gun for a living although he never let me see or touch it. For me the defining moment was when I enlisted in the Army during the Vietnam war. I had never held a gun before but always had a strong interest in toy guns. While the other boys were in the boy scouts, I joined the Sea Cadets because we got military uniforms and non functioning M14 rifles to drill with. My defining moment was wining my battalion's shooting competition, beating out a bunch of bragging hunters. It seemed that I was a natural but then again I always had very good eye to hand coordination having been a pitcher and quarterback in my youth. When I left the Army I settled in Houston, Texas and immediately bought a Walter PPK, just like the one James Bond has. Admit it, you wanted one too. :)

The shooting range was a few minutes from my house and all my friends were into shooting so we went shooting 2-3 times a week and often traded guns among ourselves as we grew bored with the ones we owned. I ended up caving in to peer pressure and went over to a revolver. The three popular guns back then were the Ruger SA, .357 revolver and 1911. The 1911 was not reliable with JHP back in those days so most carried revolvers as I did. For many years after that I always owned a revolver or two when legally allowed to since I moved around a lot. I only got into semi autos seriously about 15 years ago when I started competing. I would shoot every Saturday and Sunday, every week. Sometimes two matches in one day. I would shoot shotgun in the morning, eat lunch and shoot pistol in the afternoon. My gun club sponsored regional and national events so I got to shoot with some very well known shooters which was fun and humbling at the same time.

Since I can remember, I always had either a toy or real gun in my hands. I just like to shoot but the gun must have some recoil to it. I do not enjoy shooting .22's at all. I used to shoot .44 mag and .45 but as I aged, I toned that down to mostly 9mm guns. I just bought a new Sig P226 Combat for my new range and home defense gun. I have been buying about 1.5 guns a month for the last 3 years and pretty much have gone through my bucket list of guns I wanted to own. I walk into the LGS and ask what is new and they just tell me that I have bought all the models they have so there is nothing of interest to me. I do like buying guns and shooting them. Really do not know why other than I am good at it with minimal effort and perhaps because my first gun experience was related to combat and a gun gives me the same feeling of comfort that it did in Nam.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

This is one of the more interesting threads I've seen in a while, and from a newbie no less :) Well done SummerJoy and welcome.

SummerJoy and Aceoky like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    From the time I was a little boy I was facinated by weapons of all types. Got my first real firearm at age 10. I then joined the military and upon discharge got into law enforcement. It was because of the kind of individuals that I then dealt with that I decided to get a CWP.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I got started in the boyscouts, and hunting with my dad.

I'm not sure there was any one event that triggered my desire to start carrying. I think it coincided with getting married and starting a family and realizing I had other's to protect, and that they were depending on me to come home every day. As I got older and more experienced, I started to realize how dangerous the world really is. Add that to the "be prepared" motto drilled into me in the boyscouts, and it is a natural progression.

Plus I just always like guns because they are fun.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I was in the Boy Scouts and shot a little back then. I joined the Army in '73 and qualified with the M16 and the .45 and .38. I was Military Police and of course had to carry on duty, but never really got "into" guns. When I got out of the Army, I was an OTR truck driver for 15 years and didn't carry then because I was all over the country. Years passed and I moved to Memphis about 7 years ago. The crime rate here will turn anyone with any sense into someone who wants to CC, but I waited. I went to work for a LE Agency as a non-LEO and am exposed on a daily basis to the underbelly of society, which in Memphis is pretty far under.

Took my class and bought my SCCY last year and got my permit this year. I can't carry at work and I can't leave my weapon in my car at work, so I don't carry during the week unless I am going somewhere after work. I do carry at home and on weekends everywhere.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links