Pharmacist Shot In Jacksonville

This is a discussion on Pharmacist Shot In Jacksonville within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read in this mornings newspaper that a pharmcist in a hospital pharmacy was shot by a woman customer. Not much more detail in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pharmacist Shot In Jacksonville

I read in this mornings newspaper that a pharmcist in a hospital pharmacy was shot by a woman customer. Not much more detail in the article. Does anyone have any more details, and, in particular, whether the shooter was licensed to carry? I sure hope not.

Ron

http://www.news14charlotte.com/conte...s/?ArID=108902
    FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- An employee was shot and killed in the Veterans Affairs Medical Center on Monday night, and another hospital worker was charged with murder, authorities said.

Arthur James Charland Jr., 42, a pharmacy technician, was arrested by the FBI because the incident happened on federal property. He was charged by the agency with first-degree murder and held in the Cumberland County Jail.

The victim's name was being withheld Tuesday while authorities tried to locate her relatives, according to Ken Lucas, spokesman for the FBI's state headquarters in Charlotte.

Arthur James Charland Jr., a 42-year-old pharmacy technician, was arrested by the FBI because the incident happened on federal property.
    Arthur James Charland Jr., a 42-year-old pharmacy technician, was arrested by the FBI because the incident happened on federal property.
    Charland came into the hospital with a 12-gauge shotgun, went to the pharmacy and confronted the unidentified woman, then fired three or four times, killing her, the FBI said in a news release.

He then went to the hospital police office, told them what happened and brought them to the scene, the FBI said.

Hospital spokeswoman Norma Byrd said the facility does not have metal detectors.
    Just found it but have to run. No time to read more into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    http://www.news14charlotte.com/conte...s/?ArID=108902

Just found it but have to run. No time to read more into it.
    That is a different shooting then the one I am asking about. But, I suppose I would have the same question.

Ron

That NC story is an old one and it involved a broken up relationship between employees in the pharmacy. The newest story is out of Florida. Looks like a customer became angry and an agrument insued then the customer just shot the pharmacist. I always take note of these stories because I am a Pharmacist as well.

Here is the news story

Here is a link to a story on the Jacksonville shooting on a local TV website:

Pharmacist shooting in Jacksonville

The shooter was a 46 year old woman named Brenda Coney, who has been arrested. The female pharmacist is dead. No information was given on motive or whether the shooter had a CCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Here is a link to a story on the Jacksonville shooting on a local TV website:

Pharmacist shooting in Jacksonville

The shooter was a 46 year old woman named Brenda Coney, who has been arrested. The female pharmacist is dead. No information was given on motive or whether the shooter had a CCW permit.

Thanks Pogo. I will try to follow up to see if I can get more information.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That is a different shooting then the one I am asking about. But, I suppose I would have the same question.

Ron
    Ah my mistake. Guess I was in too much of a hurry to double check

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    That NC story is an old one and it involved a broken up relationship between employees in the pharmacy. The newest story is out of Florida. Looks like a customer became angry and an agrument insued then the customer just shot the pharmacist. I always take note of these stories because I am a Pharmacist as well.

The question then becomes, "Do you carry when you are working as a pharmacist?"

I don't expect you to answer; it may not be in your best interest.
    In general, I would think that working in a pharmacy pretty much demands that you either accept being a victim eventually, or carrying a gun for defense. Pharmacies get robbed -- it seems now more than ever. I could not see working in one without carrying a handgun. Heck, I'd want to work behind bulletproof plexiglass!

Senior Moderator
    In Florida it is a felony to bring a firearm onto hospital property, even if one has a CCW license.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Regarding the other incident, namely the shooting at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, such facilities are usually heavily posted. By heavily I mean they have signs that even prohibit firearms in their parking lot, regardless of how they are secured.

With all due respect to my fellow veterans, when I visit the VA Med Center near me, there are a fair number of characters roaming the halls that make me wish I were armed.

Once again, creation of a gun free zone provides the shooter with easy access and no resistance as he hunts down his prey....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Why how can this happen - what with all the no firearms signs around any VA facility.
    For God, Family and Country!

In regards to the FL pharmacy shooting I share a mutual friend with the husband of the killed pharmacist. My understanding is that she was killed after refusing to fill a script due to the fact of it being to early. Unsure what the medication was. The woman was most likely an addict.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    In Florida it is a felony to bring a firearm onto hospital property, even if one has a CCW license.

Matt
    Matt, is that any hospital, or only one that has a psychiatric wing? In any event, I asked about whether she had a permit only because any time a murder is committed by a holder of a lawfully issued permit, I believe that it helps the anti gun community.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    Could you please provide your citing for this. In Florida, per the Dept of Agriculture, the refer to F.S. 790.06(12), here is the link...

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=Ch0790/SEC06.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0790->Section%2006#0790.06

There is no mention of a hospital in the list of restricted places.

Thanks for your time and reply.

Taurus

I Agree With Taurus...

Quote Originally Posted by taurus View Post
    Could you please provide your citing for this. In Florida, per the Dept of Agriculture, the refer to F.S. 790.06(12), here is the link...

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=Ch0790/SEC06.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0790->Section%2006#0790.06

There is no mention of a hospital in the list of restricted places.

Thanks for your time and reply.

Taurus
    I don't believe that it is a restricted place...except...
    Here in Gainesville, The Shands Medical Center...specifically...weapons are not allowed, because it is part of the University of Florida. Florida law does not permit CCW on the university campus, thus Shands is a restricted place!

Is that what you could possible mean?

Thanks,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links