HK p30 V3, really worth it.

This is a discussion on HK p30 V3, really worth it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; have my eye on a HK at my local gun store. I think they look awesome and love the way that p30 grip feels. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HK p30 V3, really worth it.

HK p30 V3, really worth it.

have my eye on a HK at my local gun store. I think they look awesome and love the way that p30 grip feels. I have glocks, and for what you get (a solid all around gun) they sell at a fair price. Are HKs really worth $1000. I know some may pop up in the $800s, but brand new, they almost always run around $1000. Besides how cool they look, are they really worth that much?

2. Remove Ads

I will have my P30S in a couple weeks, I'll tell you then! At the moment I have two USP9s and while they aren't cheap they're well worth the money to me.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Yep. Every nickel.

Haven't owned one, but have shot one.

JD or C Hawk should be around soon enough to educate you.

There is a difference in the quality of an H&K and that of other manufacturers. While most of the major manufacturers today (Glock, S&W, SA, etc.) make excellent products that are flat-out reliable and combat accurate, there is something special about an H&K that you can see and feel upon handling one. Once the first target is retrieved, the love affair is consummated. You may still love your other polymer pistols, but the H&K will be the most special.

The modularity (of the USP for instance) is incredible. The user can select a number of different trigger and safety combinations. With the addition of the P-Series, ergonomics are without compromise.

The fit and finish is second to none. Seriously. The other manufactures make great pistols, but they are NOT put together like an H&K; you simply will not see any gaps or generic fittments. Again, nothing against the other manufacture's design, but honest individual can say that H&K does not exceed the competition in this area. It is seen with the eyes and felt with the trigger finger.

The handling and balance are perfect. From the USP Expert down to the P2000SK, each pistol is well balanced and comes to aim without fail. They are a natural extension of the arm to most unbiased shooters. ...no "humps" or anything to get used to.

Reliability is military-grade. I have never, ever had a failure of any kind. I have personally run many thousands of rounds through the guns.

Accuracy? My USP Expert hangs with my Ed Brown and CCS Colts. It's ridiculous.

...yes, I am a fan. I speak no ill of (most of) the competition, but H&K has done a remarkable job of creating serious points-of-separation. Is it worth it? It depends on your taste and resources.

JD
    Administrator
    Be back to comment later.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

In a word, yes!

The P30S I recently purchased has replaced my other pistols as my EDC, and I have no regrets. I have about 500 rounds through mine, and I have had 1 FTF which turned out to be an out of spec case on one of my re-loads. My pistol is so much more accurate than I am it is great.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I have a P30 v3 and 3 SKs v1. My preference is the v1 over the v3! JMHO as I shoot the v1s better. But if you need a decocker to feel good then go with the v3! YES HKs are worth the money. That is as long as you're not paying more than MSR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

BTW - Ask the dealer if there is a discount for cash. It worked for me!
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

JD
    Administrator
    Ok...

"Worth"

To some yes, to some no.

Does a HK really do anything that a Glock or M&P can't?

No.

For me it's about a few features. Comparing a stock gun to a stock gun I would take an HK in LEM. I would not advise Getting the V3 unless it's an "S" model and you plan to run it cocked and locked. The DA/SA trigger just isn't that good. It's not that bad, but there are better out there for the same $$$.

I like the texturing of the HK, the sights are more functional than stock Glock plastic sights etc. Is one really more reliable, not really. Both are capable of extreme accuracy.

I shoot a stock HK better than a stock Glock and I shoot a smoothed up HK better than a stock HK.

The mags for the HK are unreasonably expensive but if you keep an eye you you can manage not to get raked over the coals for them.

If you want one, buy one but don't expect a some big wow factor. I'm not really amazed (with the exception of my Gray Guns P30LS LEM), but I'm happy enough with them to have the following: HK45, P30S, P30LS, and P2000SK.

Had Sig came out with the 226SAO a couple of years ago I probably never would have bought my P30.

I think they were good guns and worth the money but that may not be true of everyone.

Tangle has been pretty happy with his V3 P30L, but CHawk was not at all thrilled with his.

YMMV

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Yes, they are worth it. You don't run into the quality control or design problems that nearly every other manufacturer has or has had at some point.
    NRA Life Member

I don't think I could live with the P220 SAO...the safety is just too small for me, I don't have any confidence in sweeping it off on the draw. As a die-hard cocked-and-locked kind of guy I appreciate HKs because so many of their guns can be run that way. Currently I have two USP9s and a USP 45 Tactical, and I've swapped out the detent plate for #9 to remove the decock function from them. That's one of the things I love about Hks in general and the USP platform in particular- flexibility. With the USP you can run LEM, light LEM, DA/SA or C1 all with pretty simple swaps.

HK guns overall don't have very good DA trigger pulls but I never use DA anyways. The match trigger option is really great, and the one on the USP45 T lead me to order the kit to drop in one of my CCW USPs, too.

I can't comment much on the P30, mine won't be here for a couple weeks. But every HK I've had has been stellar, so I doubt the P30S will disappoint.

Yeah, they're kind of expensive. I wish they cost less, and I really wish the mags didn't start at $50 and go upward from there (they can be had for a lot less from Midway). But I have never like my HKs have failed to give me my money's worth. YMMV, of course.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I don't think I could live with the P220 SAO...the safety is just too small for me, I don't have any confidence in sweeping it off on the draw. As a die-hard cocked-and-locked kind of guy I appreciate HKs because so many of their guns can be run that way. Currently I have two USP9s and a USP 45 Tactical, and I've swapped out the detent plate for #9 to remove the decock function from them. That's one of the things I love about Hks in general and the USP platform in particular- flexibility. With the USP you can run LEM, light LEM, DA/SA or C1 all with pretty simple swaps.

HK guns overall don't have very good DA trigger pulls but I never use DA anyways. The match trigger option is really great, and the one on the USP45 T lead me to order the kit to drop in one of my CCW USPs, too.

I can't comment much on the P30, mine won't be here for a couple weeks. But every HK I've had has been stellar, so I doubt the P30S will disappoint.

Yeah, they're kind of expensive. I wish they cost less, and I really wish the mags didn't start at $50 and go upward from there (they can be had for a lot less from Midway). But I have never like my HKs have failed to give me my money's worth. YMMV, of course.

The safety on the P30S is a little smaller than that of the USP, and a lot smaller than that of the HK45. There are some issues with the P30S being carried C&L, the rear of the slide has had some of the internal mass milled out and when carried C&L you can get a LOT of debris in the internals of the gun, I had to clean out dust bunnies daily from lint build up when carried IWB.

Depending on you're draw-stroke you can de-cock the pistol due to the decocker being located on the rear of the slide, my draw for a 1911 my thumb would index on the rear of the slide and on top of the sweat shield of my holster and as the gun came up my thumb would move to the safety lever. A similar draw-stroke with the P30S was not very functional.

There is no V9 for the P30S so that is what we're stuck with. Now my P30LS in light LEM does not have this issue as there is no decocker.

Also, I mentioned the 226 SAO, not the 220SAO. The 226 has a larger safety from the X5 while the 220SAO does have a smaller safety.

I recently picked up a P30LS. between the long sight radius, completely predicatable trigger, and the way that it fits my hand, I find that I shoot this pistol better than any other pistol that I have ever owned.

I put about 100 rounds through it every week during local IDPA "fun" matches. I'm curious as to how much ammunition I will have to put through it before it starts to choke - so I've decided not to clean it until I start to get malfuncations. So far I've gone for a month without cleaning it...and my guess is that throughout the summer (at 100 rounds per week) I'll probably just end up adding a dab of lube once or twice.

So yeah....I think that P30's are worth the price. (So are USP's and HK45's....but that's another post altogether)

Ooops, misread you...I saw 220. I'm still thinking .45 ACP since I picked up the USP45 Tactical! The safety of the P30S suites me very well (played with a couple before I ordered). I have to say that for the most part, the USP is very close to perfect...for me. The main reason I bought the P30S is that it's a little smaller and has a bit better ergonomics. I could happily live with just the various USP & USPc guns if I had to. Despite being somewhat large, I've found my USP9 full sized to be a pretty good CCW sidearm.

Ah, the LEM...that one has resulted in some soul searching. Eventually I'll probably have to pick one up or convert one of mine to see what all the fuss is about. Sadly I can't rent one anywhere here. Lots of folks have ditched Condition One in favor of the LEM so I expect it's a great system.

I went through a similar internal struggle. You could also look at the Walther PPQ if you want to stick with a more-affordable striker-fired design, but want excellent ergonomics.

This is a classic dilemma. Does a $5,000 Breitling or Rolex tell time any better than a $25 Timex? If not, why do people buy them? Sometimes it's for prestige. Sometimes it's connaisseurs who appreciate the little differences that add up to big expense. And sometimes it's just because it makes you happy to wear it because you admire the craftsmanship.

The difference between a Glock and an H&K is the difference between a Toyota Camry and a Mercedes E-class. The Camry/Glock is affordable, reliable, does the job, and is aggressively marketed for the average consumer. Consequently, they're as common (and as exciting) as dirt.

The Mercedes/H&K does the same job at greater expense. Due to its reputation for reliability, design, and impeccable fit & finish, it exudes a feeling of solidity and quality that the consumer-priced offerings lack. H&K doesn't market aggressively to the civilian market; that and the higher price point make them relatively rare (or, in marketing terms, "exclusive"). So practically speaking, it doesn't make much [financial] sense to buy a Mercedes when a Toyata does the job very well. But most people would rather have the Mercedes in their driveway if they could.

I love my P30. I love to hold it. I love to shoot it. I enjoy just looking at it (I don't believe anybody could say that about a Block). I didn't feel that way about my M&P, so I spent the extra money. My comparison is posted at Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30
    Last edited by EeyoreCC; June 18th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links