SC CWP and banks/credit unions

This is a discussion on SC CWP and banks/credit unions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there guys! I am looking for a law and I can't find it. Hopefully you all can help. According to SLED, SC CWP can't ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By sayeedali1
  • 2 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 2 Post By deadguy
  • 1 Post By tmoore912
  • 1 Post By RightyLefty
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: SC CWP and banks/credit unions

Hey there guys! I am looking for a law and I can't find it. Hopefully you all can help.

According to SLED, SC CWP can't carry in banks or credit unions. I reviewed the laws and can't find anything stating you can't carry.

Anyone know what the exact law is that bans concealed carry to banks/credit unions in SC?

Thanks!

Sayeed
    Dan060 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I can't fund anything that says you can not carry in a bank in SC. This is the prohibited carry places I have found;

" (M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

(4) polling place on election days;

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

(7) daycare facility or pre school facility;

(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer. "
    sayeedali1 and tcox4freedom like this.

The officer from SLED that SC CWP can't carry as weapons are prohibited by federal law in banks/credit unions. I believe what the officer told me, I just want to see the exact law.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Banks and credit unions are legal unless posted legally. Even those called 'federal' credit unions. There's nothing federal about them with regards to concealed carry.
    sayeedali1 and 9MMare like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

SC has signage laws which can prohibit CC on private property. So if there is a sign that complies with the signage law, then you can't carry there. There is no SC carry law that specifically prohibits CC in a Bank (Private Property).

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating “No Concealable Weapons Allowed” shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).
    SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.
    sayeedali1 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sayeedali1 View Post
    The officer from SLED that SC CWP can't carry as weapons are prohibited by federal law in banks/credit unions. I believe what the officer told me, I just want to see the exact law.
    The person who told you this is incorrect. The only buildings that prohibit weapons according to federal law are buildings that are owned or leased by the federal government. Banks other than federal reserve banks are privately or community owned and don't fall under federal law. If federal law didn't allow for firearms in banks, we couldn't carry in banks here in Wisconsin which we are allowed to do. It's entirely up to each bank to decided what its policy is.
    sayeedali1 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    There is no federal law that prohibits carry in a bank. It is legal here in Colorado unless the bank has a sign prohibiting it.
    sayeedali1 likes this.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I carry concealed in my bank because the signage on the door is not the legal "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED" sign.
    SCGunLover1

I used to carry into my bank but on my last visit I noticed the no gun sign on the door.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Someone gave you the wrong answer for sure..Banks has to post the correct no gun sign..In fact,this little town i live in,the only no gun signs i've seen,is at a bank,and it's not even close to being the legal size,or,the proper wording.
    Just fyi..If you can find the book,below,it has the laws,and it's got a lot of good info in it

cwp law 001.jpg

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I hope it not against the law because I do it every day!

In fact, I know it is not against the law. The agent you spoke with... misspoke.

Thanks to everyone on your feedback!

VIP Member
    Banks and credit unions are not federal institutions. Unless your state law specifically prohibits carry there you are legal. As to the advice you received from the SLED officer, get back with him and ask for a reference for his statement, 99% sure he won't be able to give you one.
    First Sgt likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    You can't find the exact law that states banks & credit unions are illegal for CWP because there isn't one. They are private institutions and are governed as such. So, SC Statute SECTION 23-31-215 (M); SECTION 23-31-220 and SECTION 23-31-235 should apply.

BTW; I'm not a lawyer so you need to read it yourself.

-

Sponsored Links