What Kind of Drills do you do at the range?

This is a discussion on What Kind of Drills do you do at the range? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally my first 15-20 rds are all 40 ft target practice. After that I like drawing from open carry, concealed carry and then double tap ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What Kind of Drills do you do at the range?

What Kind of Drills do you do at the range?

Personally my first 15-20 rds are all 40 ft target practice. After that I like drawing from open carry, concealed carry and then double tap drills. All those are from about 7-15 feet away. All in all I probably put 100-125 rds down range each trip.

What do your range days consist of?

2. Remove Ads

All that, plus failure drills, reloading drills, strong hand only, weak hand only, creating distance while firing... I'm sure there's more but that's a start. I have a 100 round training outline if you'd like it, or are you just curious?
    ginzo likes this.

Just curiouso. The Corps puts us through a lot drills as marksman instructors but they sometimes get old and aren't always fun to do on your personal range time. I forgot to mention strong side single hand shots and when I wanna impress the wife ill do one or two shooting the gun upside down. Lol

My training isn't as in depth as I would like right now, with prices and availability of ammo & reloading components being what they are. I tend to do more pure marksmanship practice at the moment.

At home I do 100 presentations from concealment about 2-3 times per week.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    My training isn't as in depth as I would like right now, with prices and availability of ammo & reloading components being what they are. I tend to do more pure marksmanship practice at the moment.

At home I do 100 presentations from concealment about 2-3 times per week.
    That's about me for right now. I do TONS of dry fire practice and a decent bit of practicing the draw at home at least 4-5 nights a week. When I go to the range (just my indoor range for now) I usually practice at 5 yrds, 7-10 and try to get a little out around 15 or so yards too. Mostly just marksmanship, but with a little bit of double tap practice. I always make sure to fire off at least one set off single hand for both hands, most the time I get two mags of 3-4 with each hand. With ammo being the way its been for the last several months I try to limit myself to 50 rnds, which is pretty darn limited!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I'm just happy if I can hit the target.

Carry snubs so Ionly reload from strips to stay in practice

I don't really get into all the high speed low drag stuff anymore. I have spent the bigger part of my life training and its old.

Mostly I now just enjoy shooting for the sake of shooting, and testing my handloads.

But, I will be as fast as I need to be, and as accurate as I need to be. Until then, I just relax and enjoy.
    bmcgilvray and Nix like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Most indoor ranges in my area limit the type training that is allowed and most people just target practice. Up until recently we had a guy that taught private classes in the evening that were not available elsewhere. I participated in two of what he called techniques of shooting a hand gun and two laser low light classes. These classes reduced my draw to target hit times and accuracy dramatically. Sorry to say the guy is now working in some third world country.

Training has come to a halt for most of my shooting friends, because of the lack of and cost of ammo. At our last meeting it was decided to not frequent, now or in the future, several gun shops/ranges that are known to be gouging their customers.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    Just curiouso. The Corps puts us through a lot drills as marksman instructors but they sometimes get old and aren't always fun to do on your personal range time. I forgot to mention strong side single hand shots and when I wanna impress the wife ill do one or two shooting the gun upside down. Lol
    Here's something that might help you with your pistol-shooting gymnastics :

locotest, Phaedrus and Dirvin like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post

While using the HoMeBoy sights, it's imperative that you yell out "break yo'self fool"....

I saw that in a movie once.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post

hahaha i should clarify. We learned in training the importance of slow steady trigger squeeze, high firm grip, proper sight alignment, etc while going through instructors course. So every once in a while I'll invert the pistol 180* and shoot a round or two like that. I find it to be more of a stress relief, comical fun thing.

I'll probably start doing reload drills once my 3rd clip..err I mean magazine comes in lol

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    With my poor eye sight iron sights are worthless and I use the point and shoot method and have also become quite proficient using the laser in lieu of the iron sights.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

The only good thing about my public range is that it has all these timed training programs on the digital pulley system and they do let you draw from the holster. You can set the target to move front to back randomly and you can set it to flip the target out and then back after a set amount of time. Its 16 dollars an hour but its fun if you figure out the system

All practice is done from concealment. All practice starts by walking toward the target. Unless shooting from retention position or shifting into Inquartata all practice is from sprinting off the X. Not all, but the majority of practice is done at 0-10 feet. Not all, but the majority of firing is done in bursts with no specific number of rounds fired. Sights are rarely used.

My live fire practice is based on conclusions learned in Force On Force training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links