Introduce a newbie

Introduce a newbie

This is a discussion on Introduce a newbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the number of new members on the forum (Welcome all!), the thread I posted earlier about the Anti that's started carrying as an experiment, ...

View Poll Results: How long since you've taken a newbie shooting?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just the other day (less than a week)

8 10.13%
  • In the last month.

16 20.25%
  • In the last six months.

32 40.51%
  • In the last five years sometime.

15 18.99%
  • Never (or I wouldn't, comments below)

8 10.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Introduce a newbie

Question Introduce a newbie

With the number of new members on the forum (Welcome all!), the thread I posted earlier about the Anti that's started carrying as an experiment, and my own plans to introduce my mother in law to my .22 rifle soon, I got to thinking. I know, dangerous

"Back in the day", at least where I lived, it was fairly common to invite new shooters to the range with you, usually as part of a smallish group. Let them throw some lead downrange, introduce them to safe weapon handling and the "four rules".

Now with the price and availability of ammunition, I find that I generally don't go to the range much. I haven't even gotten a membership since I moved. This weekend, I'm going to put the first rounds through my new g27, but and I won't really take the time to do any real work with it, just a function check. If I do take anyone with me, we won't spend long up there, too much to do.

How long has it been since you've shot with a newbie?

Edit: Gah... I just realized I forgot to add a "More than five years" option that wasn't "never".
    Last edited by livewire; June 18th, 2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Poll mistake :(
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    Does Mrs. Stove count?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Does Mrs. Stove count?
    Absolutely... when was the first time she did any shooting?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    I took her to the range the first time about 20 years ago.

Probably the last newbie I took to the range would be Stove Jr about 7 or 8 years ago. He's 15.

Most of my friends are into guns.

Took a new shooter out two weeks ago..Taught a class with a bunch of new shooters. Does that count?
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I take that back, took my nephew last spring. I have been with his dad numerous times.

My wife in Feb her first time been back many times since and she now has her CCW too Proud of her. She is getting good too

I took a friend to the range for the first time about three months ago. We've gone twice since then. That was the last time I took a "newbie" shooting. I don't do it as often as Id like. I should work on that. I have a feeling there are a couple other friends that would go if I asked them.

VIP Member
    I voted never...not because I don't want to or wouldn't. Just haven't had the time yet. I'll be taking my son out for his first time shooting at the range with our fairly new Ruger 10/22 Takedown here in the next couple of weeks.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Took my gf just last week. Had to teach her my sig 229 and XDs for when she is home alone. Shes a pretty good shot.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    A buddy and I took the wives and a non shooting friend out for fathers' day. The women shot the AK, Sig .22 and S&W .38. A Ruger, CZ and Walther found their way into he mix too.

Afterward, we donated all our guns to the Obama reelection fund. No more guns around here.

Took my oldest daughter twice now. For personal reason she has always been a little hesitant about guns. A few years ago she started shooting my mothers old BB gun. I finally convinced her to try shooting my 22 rifle.
    Last time we went we were trying out the new scope for the 22.

Also few months ago I took a couple from my churh shooting at my gun club range. They are on a waiting list for their CPL class. Last time I talked to them they had been in Florida for a month and thought maybe they had missed the call from the class for registration. I suggested they call the gun club because they have several classes a month and the wait might be shorter.

A year ago I took my wife to try my hand gun. She didn't really like it to much which surprised me because she has a criminal justice degree, though she's not employed in that field. She did have to shoot as part of her classes, but that was 25 years ago. I don't know if I'll be able to get her shooting again or not.

Srings, nice choice of guns, I like my takedown also.

I plan on taking my grandson shooting when he gets a little older. Right now I don't think he's ready.

I've taken my daughter and my wife over the last 5 years. I would love to take more but the closest rifle/pistol range is 50 miles away (one way). I have been a member of one of the clubs for the past several years but this year the fee went up 50% and I've been pretty low on extra funds and ammo anyway that and the year is half over now so maybe next year. I have offered to more than a few people to go to the range and try a few different guns but being without a place to shoot I've had to dial that back a bit. I still would like to take my nieces and nephews if we can ever coordinate them being in town and having time to go to the range. I'm trying but forces are going against me.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

It's within the last 5 yrs or never, what kind of choice is that? I'm thinking you must be a young person..
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by locotest View Post
    It's within the last 5 yrs or never, what kind of choice is that? I'm thinking you must be a young person..
    Up thread, I posted the "d'oh" moment that I meant to put in a "More than five years" before the "never", but apparently you can't edit poll options after they're submitted. I'm not as young as I would like...

edit: Although... maybe 'more than five years' is as good as never... since if it's been longer than that, you've missed lots of opportunities.
    Last edited by livewire; June 20th, 2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: add

-- John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links