School Campus carry???

This is a discussion on School Campus carry??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live near the University of MN. The law states that I cant carry on school grounds. Well part of town that is considered campus ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: School Campus carry???

School Campus carry???

I live near the University of MN. The law states that I cant carry on school grounds. Well part of town that is considered campus grounds includes several city streets that includes businesses such as bars, restaurants, shops, theaters etc. Can I carry on those streets? If not how do I know when campus grounds end and normal city streets resume? Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Ads

That's a regular #10 sized can of worms there Pard
    .45acpguy likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Felcore View Post
    I live near the University of MN. The law states that I cant carry on school grounds. Well part of town that is considered campus grounds includes several city streets that includes businesses such as bars, restaurants, shops, theaters etc. Can I carry on those streets? If not how do I know when campus grounds end and normal city streets resume? Thanks for the help!
    It's your responsibility to know, if you're going to carry.

Ask for a detailed map of the campus property boundaries. That's about the only way you're going to know, if it's not otherwise clearly marked. That, or asking on premises of everywhere you go.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    We have a very similar situation here in Richmond VA. Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia (VCU/MCV) own a large portion of the downtown area. There is really no spelled out "campus". While they may own the property, they do not own the sidewalks/streets. Those are city property and are maintained by the city with taxpayer money. I've had this discussion with city and VCU police. As long as I am on the sidewalk I am good to go. Along the same line MCV has a no smoking policy for their campus. While they can enforce it on their property, they cannot enforce in on the sidewalk and street.

As to the business along those streets. It will depend again on who owns the property. If owned by the school and leased by the business, then carry will probably be prohibited. If the property is not owned by the school, then you should be good to go.

IANAL and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take it for what it is worth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

These "gray areas" of the law are very frustrating for everyone--the citizen, law enforcement, school officials, everyone.
    *Texas CHL* *TSRA* *NRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

I went to the u of m. You really don't know when you're on campus and when you're not? Here's a hint, when you're on school grounds, you're on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's your responsibility to know, if you're going to carry.
    I agree with this, but it is not feasible to go to the extent of looking up public records on who owns what land and whether or not it is leased.

I would likely just avoid such areas altogether. I try to keep my carrying as simple as possible.

Links