This is why everyone should have a revolver.

This is a discussion on This is why everyone should have a revolver. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am typing this with one hand, perhaps something more familiar to those who have not been typing since they were 10 years old. The ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: This is why everyone should have a revolver.

Distinguished Member

This is why everyone should have a revolver.

I am typing this with one hand, perhaps something more familiar to those who have not been typing since they were 10 years old. The day before my birthday my left hand started hurting enough for me to stop using it. I could not extend my fingers or make a fist. My guess is that between work and blogging, I was spending too much time at the keyboard combined with an extensive shooting session. I did my usual web research and came to the conclusion it was tendonitis, a condition that would require taking an over the counter inflammatory and using ice packs. Seems to be working but it got me started thinking about something I have written about; why all seniors should have at least one revolver.

In gun forums I have often spoken about having a revolver in your arsenal for those occasions when you do not have the use of both hands. For us older gunhands, those occasions seem to come suddenly and all too often. I normally have problems with my hands due to nerve damage and arthritis. Tendonitis is something new and a great birthday gift to remind me that each year is not making me stronger and better. However, I plan for such events and had my trusty J-Frame snub nose ready to go. I loaded it with some mild Hornady FTX 110 gr. .38 spl ammo and was good to go. I could even reload it. Using a semi auto was out of the question as there was no way I could rack a slide and press a magazine or slide release. Be prepared, and I was.

I just wanted to post this reminder for older shooters that if you can afford more than one carry gun and holster, one setup should be suitable for those times when medical problems prohibit carrying your primary gun. A snub nose and pocket holster is a great setup for those times and something everyone should consider. I have to keep this short as it is slow going for me to type like this and my left hand keeps wondering to the keyboard undoing all the healing it has undergone. Something to think about whether it is hand problems, bad back (I have both), etc.. A simple, lightweight easy to use gun that will not strain any part of your body that you carry it on, is always a good idea for seniors. Even with one hand I was able to load it by laying it down and that reminded me of why I keep it handy. It even makes a good primary gun for seniors and is very popular with the retired LEO I know. I cannot imagine trying to clear a jam in a semi auto with the condition of my hands today so I am comforted by my revolver; well two actually since I bought the Alaskan to use as a backup home defense gun which it is now is doing. I planned ahead just in time. I have it stoked with .45 LC self defense rounds but if a bear tries a home invasion I am ready with a box of 20 .454 Casull. That reminds me, I have to cancel my range trip this week where I was going to shoot the .454 Casull for the first time. Best to wait until I can use both hands. That blog post should be interesting.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by OD*; June 19th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
    BamaT, Nix, ArmyCop and 3 others like this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can think of lots of reasons why everyone needs a revolver.

An anomaly that I'll add is that I shoot a Vaquero with one hand, just as well (or just as bad) as I do with two. I can't say that for any other handgun that I own. The Colt SAA design got the ergonomics perfect. If I lost the use of one hand, that'd be my EDC - reloads be damned.

'Hope that other hand heals up soon.
    Nix and tony1990 like this.

A "simple lightweight" revolver these days will snap your hand off when you attempt to shoot it accurately. Not to mention that you need to train with that gun....more pain or abuse.

I dont disagree with your post but shooting one of those little airframes may be more than some people can tolerate (or shoot accurately).....the better option might be a heavier model.
    bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I own more revolvers than pistols. I normally carry a 1911 but switch to a .357 or .44 magnum revolver for rural or woods carry.

My Colts.

My .44 magnums.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Use those ice packs regularly and take that Ibuprofen so you get better soon.

A revolver and a Dragon if you are a Blogger. ;)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I don't have much experience with revolvers. Could you please explain what you can do one-handed with a revolver that you can't do with a semi?

Thanks!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    The reason everyone should have revolver is...just because.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If both hands are weak, revolvers are definitely the best options, but here's a few general techniques for operating a semi-auto with a single hand:

The rear sights can be used on belts or kydex holsters to rack the slide or release the slide from slide lock. You can also use it to hold the slide back to engage the slide lock.

Double feeds can be cleared by holding the magazine release and firmly hitting your forearm on your thigh. Once the magazine is free, you can rack the slide with the above method.

A video by Paul Gomez demonstrating the above techniques: Dealing with One Hand Only FTE/Double Feed Stoppages by Gomez-Training.com - YouTube
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I like revolvers too. There is just no reason to rely on one type of handgun. Diversity is the best.

A .357 magnum Ruger LCR is my wife's carry piece. It is one of the best out there.
    fredg53, awoodpd13 and 006.9V2.1 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

First, sorry about your hand and I hope it gets back to normal soon.

However, if you take the time to think about and learn how to handle a semi one-handed, you may change your mind. First, you have all the time in the world to initially get the gun ready so you will have access to more rounds before reloading. Second, people with weak fingers, often as not, will find the trigger of a semi much easier to use which facilitates more accurate shooting. Third, when it does comes time to reload it will be a lot quicker to press a mag release; insert a new mag by 1) holding the semi between your knees, or 2) laying it magwell up on firm surface; and then releasing the slide by hooking the rear sight or front corner of the slide against any corner you find handy in your home or carpet or your belt or shoe sole, etc. as opposed to fiddling with trying to keep a cylinder from closing while you hit the extractor rod and getting those pesky empty cases by the revolver frame out and then line up a speedloader with all 5/6 chambers at once and then try to release the rounds into the chambers one handed. The occurrence of malfunctions in semi's is seriously overrated these days if you've taken the time to actually shoot your gun, but if it did happen, see steps for reloading.
    blitzburgh, OD* and CigarStix like this.

What nedrgr21 said!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

9mmare, snap your hand off, a little extreme, I carry a 642 in my pocket occasionally an shoot it regularly at the range have no problems putting 5 in a paper plate as fast as I can shoot. Usually carry a SP 101 an can hit very well with it I like both semis an revolvers we need options for everyday cc an snubs can play an important part.
    multistage and 006.9V2.1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    9mmare, snap your hand off, a little extreme, I carry a 642 in my pocket occasionally an shoot it regularly at the range have no problems putting 5 in a paper plate as fast as I can shoot. Usually carry a SP 101 an can hit very well with it I like both semis an revolvers we need options for everyday cc an snubs can play an important part.
    To each their own. How old are you? Do you have any arthritis? Are you a smaller female?

Not only that, they are less easy to control than a heavier weapon....requiring a good amount of training (repetitive actions) to become accurate with most of them.

I found shooting them...I've tried a few...and found them unpleasant to shoot AND difficult to shoot accurately. I'm sure the accuracy part could be remedied with practice but shooting it was so unpleasant that I was not encouraged to do so.

My point was just that there may be a better balance (revolver size) if pain or accuracy are your reasons for switching.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    A "simple lightweight" revolver these days will snap your hand off when you attempt to shoot it accurately. Not to mention that you need to train with that gun....more pain or abuse.

I dont disagree with your post but shooting one of those little airframes may be more than some people can tolerate (or shoot accurately).....the better option might be a heavier model.
    Exactly, I don't know of any professionals that recommend air-weights for seniors (but there might be).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links