Snub Nose v. Semi

This is a discussion on Snub Nose v. Semi within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read many entries that state there times you would want a snub nosed revolver over a semi pistol. I don't own a small revolver; ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Snub Nose v. Semi

Snub Nose v. Semi

I've read many entries that state there times you would want a snub nosed revolver over a semi pistol.

I don't own a small revolver; can someone provide some examples of when a snub nosed revolver would be a better carry option than a semi?

Thanks.

Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Nope. Sorry...
    CigarStix and StormRhydr like this.

About the first time your semi Jams....
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

JD
    Administrator
    I wouldn't mind carrying one in an ankle rig vs a semi. More centralized weight with the light weight J-Frames etc due to the ammo being carried in the center of the gun instead of the bottom/rear and if you ever end up on your back with an attacker on top of you, bringing your leg up to keep them off you will get a back up gun where you can get at it easier and have better ability for an inches away shot as a revolver can function @ contact range without risk of being pushed out of battery unlike a semi.

It's all personal preference. I've carried both and I'm comfortable carrying a snub. Not sure why you need more than 5 shots. Another thing to consider is the single stack semis tend to have limited ammo. Why not go with a snub instead since there are far fewer problems that can occur? You really aren't sacrificing much if you take a 5 round .357 over a 6 or 7 round 9mm semi.
    ArmyCop and 5lima30ret like this.
    Romans 12:21

Put the wrong ammo in a semi and it can be jam city. A revolver, snub nose or otherwise, would never know the difference...and neither would you. Revolvers are inherently more reliable and accurate.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    Put the wrong ammo in a semi and it can be jam city. A revolver, snub nose or otherwise, would never know the difference...and neither would you. Revolvers are inherently more reliable and accurate.
    Not quite, you put the wrong ammo in a light weight revolver the the projectiles will nose out of the casing and bind the cylinder.

Inherently accurate...I'll buy that but humans are not inherently accurate shooters an the quality of trigger in most "defensive" revolvers is contrary to the mechanical accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    It's all personal preference. I've carried both and I'm comfortable carrying a snub. Not sure why you need more than 5 shots. Another thing to consider is the single stack semis tend to have limited ammo. Why not go with a snub instead since there are far fewer problems that can occur? You really aren't sacrificing much if you take a 5 round .357 over a 6 or 7 round 9mm semi.
    More than 5? 2-3rds average per attacker. Two attackers equals 4-6 rounds resulting in an empty gun. In compacts used as a primary, I'll stick with a G26 or HKP200SK with 10+1.

If we are to compare directly to single stack compact autos, I'm with you.

I alternate depends on mood and dress sometimes both at the same time

JD
    Administrator
    For a quick point of reference:

Smith 360PD .357 Magnum, 5 shots over a Springfield XDM-9 @ 19+1

Not a huge difference in size. The biggest detractor of the XDM-9 is the longer grip, but with a grip chop or alternate model you can still carry 13?+1 on board and not be that much larger than a 5 shot revolver.

If I can escape my other duties later tonight I'll take some pics in relation to a G19, G26, and P2000SK.

Advantages of a snub-nose:

1.. Ammo variability becomes essentially a non-issue, because the ammo is not a functional part of the feeding mechanism.
    2. More powerful rounds for the same size and weight.
    3. Impossible to limp-wrist, regardless of injury, firing from unusual positions, etc.
    4. Can be fired from inside a coat pocket without jamming.
    5. In a muzzle-contact shot, cannot be knocked out of battery.
    6. In a muzzle-contact shot, much less likely to jam due to blood entering the weapon.
    7. No magazine to be accidentally released.
    8. Can obtain a higher grip for less muzzle flip, due to the lack of a slide.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    9MMare, Nix, ArmyCop and 1 others like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

For me I think I would have the need to defend myself either at the gas station, bank, or parking lot it would be up close and I can jamb my snub in someones chest an pull the trigger more than once anything over 20 to 30 feet away I will be looking to take cover or drive away I am not rambo but if attacked I want the opportunity to end it in my favor.
    9MMare likes this.

My Smith & Wesson J-frame AirLite is convenient. It's the only one of my guns that I can carry in a pocket holster comfortably. So, I can grab it and go when need be. It conceals easily. Like others have said, it doesn't have feeding or ejection issues.

But, it's not the perfect weapon for every occasion. Nothing is really.
    maxwell97 and WHEC724 like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Can be fired from inside a pocket.
    No safety to get in the way.

Until the late 70's, most everyone was carrying a revolver. The S&W 36 was one of the favorite pocket guns. Autoloaders were heavy and bulky. Then came the cheap plastics and the Glocks along with their KaBooms. So those growing up now never knew the feel or dependability of a revolver nor did they learn how to shoot a 1911.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I tried several small semi's. I tried PF9 I like it but recoil was stiff and I would drop the mag in recoil. I tried CM9 I loved it but the baseplate of the mag would come off and dump the rounds. The main reason I went back to a snub is I simply I shoot snubs better than I do the micro semi's. I also find a j frame easier to grab from a pocket than a square grip

VIP Member
    They both have their place for me.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links