White,Yellow,orange,red

This is a discussion on White,Yellow,orange,red within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that "white", means you really don't know what's going on around you. "Yellow" you are aware of what is around you. Your ready ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White,Yellow,orange,red

White,Yellow,orange,red

I know that "white", means you really don't know what's going on around you. "Yellow" you are aware of what is around you. Your ready for anything. My question is what does "Orange and Red" mean.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    White - Relaxed, unaware, and unprepared. If attacked in this state the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy and ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alertness. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." There is no specific threat but you are aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and your carriage says "I am alert." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you must be in yellow. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "I thought this might happen some day." You can live in this state indefinitely.

Orange - Specific alert. Something not quite right has gotten your attention and you shift your primary focus to that thing. Something is "wrong" with a person or object. Something may happen. Your mindset is that "I may have to shoot that person." Your pistol is usually holstered in this state. You can maintain this state for several hours.

Red - Fight trigger. This is your mental trigger. "If that person does "x" I will shoot them." Your pistol may, but not necessarily, be in your hand.
    .................................................. .......................
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

White-Totally oblivious to what is going on around you (the condition most people are in 24/7)

Yellow-Aware of your surroundings and on the lookout for potential threats (where we should be)

Orange-You'e identified a specific potential threat.

Red-You've confirmed the threat and are acting or ready to act.

A great, in depth explanation of the "Color Codes" can be found here: http://www.teddytactical.com/Sharpen...0Awareness.htm
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    perfectly explained
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I don't have it in front of me, but there was an issue of American Rifleman several years back that had an article that explained the color continuum very clearly. (It was also the first I had heard of it.)
    It went something like this:

White - unguarded, little or no awareness beyond immediate proximity
    Yellow - relaxed awareness of surroundings
    Orange - unknown threat detected, heightened awareness
    Red - response action initiated due to threat

You are not in red unless you are either fighting or fleeing. If you see a weird guy approaching you, you are no longer in yellow because you perceive a possible threat instead of just being aware of what's going on around you.

edit: I re-read the article. To wit;

White - No perceived danger
    Yellow - Relaxed awareness
    Orange - Unknown danger; high level of awareness
    Red - Severe danger; action initiated
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; November 23rd, 2006 at 12:01 AM.

Black-engaging target, firing weapon.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Cooper promoted the WYOR system; Ayoob's LFI and others promote WYORB, where R/red is a lethal force situation underway and B/black is the actual shooting (thanks, Bando). The distinction being that not all condition-Red situations must end in a shooting.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I Stay In White...

while I'm sleeping...other than that, condition yellow is my minimum.

Your color may vary...

Stay alert (yellow)...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    while I'm sleeping...other than that, condition yellow is my minimum.

Your color may vary...

Stay alert (yellow)...stay safe!

ret
    Not I stay in condition or so it seems

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I teach my students three colors. KISS, white exists only in Plesantville.
    Yellow aware of surroundings, expect to be in danger in today's Urban world. Red- you must be ready to react and you are preparing to use your weapon or run.

Every CCW class I instruct, I pass out Jeff Cooper's color codes of awareness and talk to my students about mindset and having a heightened sense of awareness. It just seems to come naturally as your comfort level of carrying increases. I tell them "always yellow"!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I teach my students three colors. KISS, white exists only in Plesantville.
    Yellow aware of surroundings, expect to be in danger in today's Urban world. Red- you must be ready to react and you are preparing to use your weapon or run.
    This post and a couple of similar posts of yours in another thread on the same subject have me confused. Orange is the condition where you evaluate the threat, to determine if it really is even a threat, and decide on your course of action. Going straight from yellow to red means that if you're walking in a parking lot at night (condition yellow) and you notice a vehicle traveling slowly through the lot with no lights on that you would immediately move to condition red? That means that immediately upon noticing anything slightly suspicious you either run, hide, draw, and maybe even shoot?

I just can't imagine someone attempting to articulate those types of actions to an LEO. "Well, I noticed a vehicle with no lights on, so I ducked behind that vehicle, drew my weapon, and held it at low ready." I know that's not what you're practicing or teaching so I'm just confused as to what you mean. I think what you mean is that you've removed white from the system and only use yellow, orange, and red but I'm not sure. Even then though, white does still exist. You may not use and I may not use it, but trust me, there are plenty of people that do. Some of them end up regretting it. Please explain in deeper detail.

I do believe that most people use the color system, even if they've never heard of it. Just like a 3 year old can speak English even though they don't really have a grasp of what that means. A person speaks English and uses verbs, nouns, pro-nouns, adverbs and adjectives, etc. very effectively for quite a few years before taking English classes and even learning what all these terms mean. It's the same with the color system.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Great Explainations My Friends-

They don't get any better than these~!

Well, this is the second "color" thread I looked at when checking in here tonight--all I now know for sure here in Minnesota is "don't eat yellow snow".....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Thanks you guys for the imput.And esspecilly to KENPOTEX for the web site. I have been using these codes for years i just did'nt know the steps of awareness. My kids are sick of me preching to them about being in code "WHITE" I will not stop, someday they will listen to me, "HOPFULLY" it wont be to late!
    Thanks again BULLSEYE
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links