My new Everyday LCR strategy

This is a discussion on My new Everyday LCR strategy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As in carry my .38 LCR all the time anytime as a main (for days/times I don't think I need a gun) or BUG to ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By DetChris
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By Haywood
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: My new Everyday LCR strategy

As in carry my .38 LCR all the time anytime as a main (for days/times I don't think I need a gun) or BUG to my Glocks, but always carry it.

The reasons: it's lightweight, it disappears into any pocket, it has five 100% reliable shots, it will be on my support side when I BUG it so I have a gun option for either hand.

I'm thinking a speed strip would be prudent too.

My mains will probably always be my Glocks because of higher capacity and shootability but I think having the LCR handy everyday is a good idea.

Thoughts? (And no mall ninja comments! You know this strategy makes sense :) )
    maxwell97 likes this.

Since carry snubs I agree, I take my speed strips to the range an only reload from them you can get really quick. I carry mine with a space in the middle because you can put two in at once granted you only reload 4 but its real fast getting back in the fight.

Nix
    My LCR is my primary carry weapon. I really like this snubbie. Might have to find a short barreled S&W now too.

I normally carry a 1911 in .45 ACP or 10mm and a spare magazine with a Springfield XDS-45 and a spare magazine in my pocket. If I add a revolver, I carry two speed loaders. I personally would say you are under-gunned, not a mall-ninja. Carry what works for you; not what an internet poll says.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Just me, but if I carried my LCR as a bug to my Glock19 I wouldn't worry about the need for reloads. If I cannot handle the situation with my original 16, plus a 15 shot spare mag, THEN also the 5 from the LCR, I would be looking to get away sometime during the fight anyways. Again, that is just me. If it makes some of you feel better then by gods do it! :)

Btw, love that LCR. A bit on the hand stingy side when you fire it, but it is still a great weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Since carry snubs I agree, I take my speed strips to the range an only reload from them you can get really quick. I carry mine with a space in the middle because you can put two in at once granted you only reload 4 but its real fast getting back in the fight.
    I've been using Mas Ayoob's speed strip reload system. I try to practice everyday. Muscle memory is already starting to kick in and it feels good. Revolvers are also made for dry fire practice. A couple of snap caps and I can dry fire all day. No slides to rack or anything.

http://youtu.be/pMAXlT3ZLzs
    http://youtu.be/oXUwI_d8JlA

Works for me, LCR plus speed strip is my EDC right now.

I recommend searching YouTube for "ayoob speed strip", to see his method for using speed strips, and also "ayoob revolver reload" for generally how to handle a revolver reload. I can't say whether they're the best methods, but his reasoning seems solid enough.
    DetChris likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I've been using Mas Ayoob's speed strip reload system. I try to practice everyday. Muscle memory is already starting to kick in and it feels good. Revolvers are also made for dry fire practice. A couple of snap caps and I can dry fire all day. No slides to rack or anything.

037 Massad Ayoob Demonstrates the "Stressfire" reload for the Revolver - YouTube
    Well, ignore the applicable part of my previous post. You're ahead of the game.
    DetChris likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

IMO you should take this energy and apply it to your glocks. The days that you think you will not need a gun will be the day you will. Murphy can be a bugger that way.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Sounds like a decent strategy to me. +1 on the speed strips and practice LOTS of practice and you shoud be GTG!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'm looking at the same thing as my EDC. Ruger LCR .38 with a speed strip for a reload. Just trying to find the right IWB holster and if i should replace the front sight or not.

I carry Two Snubs Every day all day. You never know when You will have something break. Also you may want to arm someone els. The LCR357 is one of my favorites. Some 357 Self Defence Ammo is not to hot to handle and 38+P is works great. As for the Front Sight, for a while I painted it white. After about a year I added the XS Standard Dot. I liked the Sight so much I put one on my SP101. Both are great shooting and CCW Guns. With Speed Loaders and Speed Stripps, I'm good too go.
    Nix likes this.

I often carry my LCR as a BUG, and sometimes as primary. It's a good solid choice when size and weight are important considerations.

My options are:

LCP + LCP

LCR + LCP

G26 + LCR

G30 + LCR

So, the LCR is a great, versatile choice. Good move.
    DetChris likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10th would be over-gunned if he moved into guns with more than 3 characters in the name...
    10thmtn and DetChris like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links