Utah CFP: Can I cc into a movie theater?

This is a discussion on Utah CFP: Can I cc into a movie theater? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my cfp instructor told us in January 2013 that Utah legislature added movie theaters to the list of restricted areas. I know you may ...

Thread: Utah CFP: Can I cc into a movie theater?

So my cfp instructor told us in January 2013 that Utah legislature added movie theaters to the list of restricted areas. I know you may not be a lawyer, but I'm asking for your input/knowledge/experience in this area. I've read the statutes, googled search, checked USconcealedcarry and handgunlaws.us. I have found nothing, nada, zip related to this. I'm not asking if I can carry into businesses that post gun-buster signs; I am asking if in Utah movie theaters are considered restricted areas in the same ways that airports, federal bldgs., houses of worship, and private residences that inform people. Thanks.

Do signs hold the weight of the law in Utah? I carry in Mo movie theaters and they have a tiny little sign in the door saying no firearms. By tiny, I mean face one inch from the glass and I'm still squinting, that kind of tiny. certainly would not be a legal sign even if signs held weight. Ask yourself, while your watching a movie, if someone runs in wearing tac gear and starts shooting, DO YOU want to be defenseless?

No, in Utah, signs do not carry the weight of law: That is, except in restricted areas, one carry cc into an establishment that has a gun-buster sign, but if asked to leave, must. If one refuses to leave, trespassing charges will be applied (that's not the right word, but you know what I mean).

A quick search shows no evidence that this movie theater things is true, which leads me to doubt that it is.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I'm thinking my cfp instructor must have been full of hooey because I could NO info on this.

Here's the sign outside of the theater

Even after reading the noted codes, I couldn't find anything that referred to movie theaters as restricted no cc zones.

I only know of federal buildings and LDS churches. The Utah legislature is so pro-gun that they wouldn't just add that to make people feel better.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

...http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE53/53.pdf

...go to Sec 53-5-710 for info on forbidden places

...that sign means no weapons EXCEPT for as allowed by the Concealed Carry Act of Utah...

Thanks for posting that, Snub. It seemed rather odd to me. I felt within my rights to cc at the theater. The sign I posted is different from the one I saw there a few months ago. There were also gun-buster signs posted on the ushers' stands. Those were gone as well. I wonder if those signs were illegal, hurt business, or both.

Links