Concealed Carry Training Plans

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Training Plans within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, I recently responded to another thread that I had a 100 round training plan for concealed carry. I am in no way a weapons ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Training Plans

Concealed Carry Training Plans

All,

I recently responded to another thread that I had a 100 round training plan for concealed carry. I am in no way a weapons expert, but many people were interested in my plan and messaged me to share it with them. I have sent it to everyone who's asked and gotten good feedback. I decided to share the file on Google to keep from having to email it to a bunch of different people. Below is the link, feel free to download and use as you wish, but please give me feedback. I would like to hear what you think and how I could make it better.

I am in no means a firearm instructor, i developed this training plan to share some of my knowledge as an Army Infantry officer with a couple of friends of mine and help them and myself improve in our defensive weapon's skills. I do not accept responsibility for your actions, and do not make any claims to the validity or safety of using this training plan. There is no way I can know the abilities of anyone who downloads the file, so please use the plan responsibly.

I thought it would be great if some other users shared their plan and we could have a consolidated thread of training plans. Please feel free to share your training regiment on this thread and leave feedback of mine and others. As always, shoot responsibly.

Without further ado:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Dg&usp=sharing

Enjoy.
    Kennydale likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The vast majority of my training now days is with a laser training cartridge. The big difference is that I do "draw, present and fire" drills every week as opposed to every three or four months like I use to be able to. I do bullseye laser training many times ever week. The thing I have learned since I started this is that trigger time is key to getting better. With the price of ammo where it is, we all need to be looking for ways to keep up the practice.
    Aceoky likes this.

Similarly, Clint Smith has written up a reasonable practice protocol - Google "Clint Smith 100 Rounds".
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    The vast majority of my training now days is with a laser training cartridge. The big difference is that I do "draw, present and fire" drills every week as opposed to every three or four months like I use to be able to. I do bullseye laser training many times ever week. The thing I have learned since I started this is that trigger time is key to getting better. With the price of ammo where it is, we all need to be looking for ways to keep up the practice.
    What kind of laser system are you using? I'd be interested in something like that, too.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

DBS
    Your protocol looks good, but some of that stuff won't fly at a lot of ranges.

I use a LaserLyte system, which allows me to practice firing from the draw, moving and shooting, etc, all in the comfort of my own home, and for free. The system is excellent and I recommend it highly.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Expletive deleted Army. It's really good (grudgingly). Mine is very similar, but not quite as complete (and not written down either). I begin the slow fire for accuracy at 25yds rather than 7. Obviously our training is similar, and based on the same principals, but 25 is a little more challenging than 7, and I find that difficulty slows me down and makes me breathe, squeeze, and think even more about what I'm doing. I haven't been doing the dryfire exercise before I shoot, that usually happens in my basement, but I could not tell you why, other than I didn't think of it and I'm not that bright. It's a very good idea, as is some dummy rounds mixed in, which I do, and has been discussed quite a bit.

BZ
    CPT_Rich likes this.

I think it's a great program drill. Thank you for sharing.
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    What kind of laser system are you using? I'd be interested in something like that, too.
    Well considering I am one of the developers of the system I use the OCAT System for my laser training. If you have questions, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Expletive deleted Army. It's really good (grudgingly). Mine is very similar, but not quite as complete (and not written down either). I begin the slow fire for accuracy at 25yds rather than 7. Obviously our training is similar, and based on the same principals, but 25 is a little more challenging than 7, and I find that difficulty slows me down and makes me breathe, squeeze, and think even more about what I'm doing. I haven't been doing the dryfire exercise before I shoot, that usually happens in my basement, but I could not tell you why, other than I didn't think of it and I'm not that bright. It's a very good idea, as is some dummy rounds mixed in, which I do, and has been discussed quite a bit.

BZ
    I like your idea of starting at 25 yards. This plan was developed to get my inexperienced friend caught up, and I don't know that 25 yards was viable. Instead of backing up I use the 3" shoot-n-c to add difficulty, but nothing adds difficulty like distance.

The whole idea of the plan was for it to build upon itself. Start simple, and at the end you're using everything you trained on.

Post Sandy hook I have changed practice for CC. I bought an M&P22 (the pistol), and a conversion kit for my AR15. I shoot almost exclusively 22 Lr. I have a supply laid in at normal prices, and both weapons replicate the size & feel of guns shooting full size ammo.

I guess Id rather shoot full size ammo, but who can afford that now? And thats IF you can find it. And if you DO find it, try replacing it, at a normal price.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Well considering I am one of the developers of the system I use the OCAT System for my laser training. If you have questions, just let me know.
    What is the price for these systems and are they available at most LGS's?

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by CPT_Rich View Post
    I like your idea of starting at 25 yards. This plan was developed to get my inexperienced friend caught up, and I don't know that 25 yards was viable. Instead of backing up I use the 3" shoot-n-c to add difficulty, but nothing adds difficulty like distance.

The whole idea of the plan was for it to build upon itself. Start simple, and at the end you're using everything you trained on.
    No, you're probably right. That may have just frustrated him with a jagged trigger carry gun and combat sights. Really, I've got nothing else to say (just kidding...that never happens), because it is so very solid. I can see why you've been getting requests for it. Tweaking and expanding it as the skills of your shooting buddy's improves is certain to work.

Maybe you should be a firearms instructor... Just based on this I would like you standing next to me and critiquing me. Practice is wonderful, but it's very hard to spot your own problems, slovenliness, and bad habits. Shooting next to a trained set of eyes is a huge benefit no matter what your level of experience.

I've had gurus and instructors say and try to teach (failed with me) some very stupid things. Some things that sound good aren't, and some that don't sound good are. In fact, I'll start a thread about it, because I have several examples, and one fairly recently.
    CPT_Rich likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT_Rich View Post
    What is the price for these systems and are they available at most LGS's?
    If you have laser training cartridge and a web cam you can get into the system for $125.00. We so not sale through retailers at this time, it is all through the web site.

Major advantages of this system over some of the others. Can use any target you want. Built in shot timer to work on your reaction times. Shows the movement of the muzzle while you are firing, help to see if you are yanking the trigger or other common mistakes. Can be set up virtually anywhere.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I like that your sheet stresses dry fire warm ups. IMO that should make up over 50% of your training time. Good progression too. This is well thought out.
    And- its a good way to ration ammo in this time of scarce ammo (maybe people will try that dry fire stuff more now?). Those who want to shoot more can always do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I like that your sheet stresses dry fire warm ups. IMO that should make up over 50% of your training time. Good progression too. This is well thought out.
    And- its a good way to ration ammo in this time of scarce ammo (maybe people will try that dry fire stuff more now?). Those who want to shoot more can always do so.
    Crawl, walk, run... That was the idea, crawl being talking through it, walk being dry firing, and run being live fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links