Printing & concealed carry

This is a discussion on Printing & concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this issue has come up in the past . Was at a 4 hour training class for a Utah permit and the instructor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Printing & concealed carry

VIP Member

Printing & concealed carry

I'm sure this issue has come up in the past . Was at a 4 hour training class for a Utah permit and the instructor said printing is not concealed carry and you could be charged with a crime . How concealed are you and could you pass this test everytime you go out .And is this statement correct??
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

2. Remove Ads

...in Utah or in MD?

...yes, I've been passing that test since about 1965...and you can, too...with a reasonable amount of care...

VIP Member
    In both places Maryland and Utah , But they made a point to say if you were printing in Baltimore City ( Maryland ) you are going down on the pavement . I think mainly because of most people can not carry in Maryland .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

When carrying concealed, I don't print, no matter what size or model gun I am carrying.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    His blanket statement is wrong. It will depend on the state your in. In VA printing isn't a problem, but then we are a OC state as well. Also, what does he consider printing? A bump under your cover garment? Who's to say it isn't a phone. Most smart phones are bulkier than a gun.

I understand he's trying to make a point, to do the best you can to conceal your weapon, but blanket statements like his do a dis-service to the carrier as well.
    Snub44, OldVet and Jetfuelrm like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Varies by state. If it's an open carry state print as much as you want. But as a CCer, part of the fun is finding ways to stay concealed no matter the attire (hence the safe full of different sized pistols, drawer full of holsters, and the 20 minutes we take to get dressed!).
    Stoveman and Once like this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The best concealed carry I did was when I had a pocket pistol under my baseball cap.

OK, maybe I didn't do that. But it's encouraging to realize that others have collections of holsters, too.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    In both places Maryland and Utah , But they made a point to say if you were printing in Baltimore City ( Maryland ) you are going down on the pavement . I think mainly because of most people can not carry in Maryland .
    If I were printing in Maryland, I would be going to jail, and then to prison for awhile after the pavement slam.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    How concealed are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    When carrying concealed, I don't print, no matter what size or model gun I am carrying.
    This x2 for about 20 years.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    Technically Maryland is open carry also, but good luck with that.....

Stay covered Welderman...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That would depend on how one's state law defines "concealed." Concealed from "ordinary view" is the requirement for FL. Personally, I think the instructor was blowing smoke with his "authority ego."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you print, you are doing it wrong.... right ?

Only time you would ever be able to see my carry, is if I'm reaching for something high or bending low.

Hell I even tuck my shirt into my holster clip while I ride my 636

+1 for "it depends on the state". Know the laws of the state you are in or don't whine when hassled.

GH
    In WI printing is not illegal. Having said that I don't print other than a small bump in my shirt occasionally. My multi tool in its carrier prints more. Have I ever accidently printed? I'm sure I did but don't make a habit of worrying about it. I just try to dress around my carry piece & be as careful as possible.
    mrkurt likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Printing obviously violates the entire concept and purpose of concealed carry. However, it is not 100% foolproof.

Depending on what you are wearing and the movements you make while CC'ing you could unintentionally reveal the fact that you have a concealed handgun.

For instance, wearing a t-shirt, walking into a store or along a street with a brisk wind in your face (if you carry appendix style like me) could cause you to unintentionally "print". Or a wind at your back (5:00), or one that blows your shirt up above your beltline (3:00).

You get my point.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links