looking for bank in SC that will honor my cwp

This is a discussion on looking for bank in SC that will honor my cwp within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been having a hard time finding a bank in the Greenville/Spartanburg area that will allow concealed weapons on their property. I am most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: looking for bank in SC that will honor my cwp

looking for bank in SC that will honor my cwp

I have been having a hard time finding a bank in the Greenville/Spartanburg area that will allow concealed weapons on their property. I am most definatly taking my money out of SFCU that will not even allow me to have weapon in my car while on bank property. I need a better place to bank but have not found one yet. Anyone know of a pro 2A bank in the area that wants law abiding gun owners buisness

2. Remove Ads

Unless the bank signs meet these "weird" rules, it's basically not against the law to carry in a bank in SC. Notice the black bolded section. When I lived in SC, I took my CCWL training class with the guy that actually helped write this wording to satisfy some people while still making signs pointless. The strange size of the sign to make it not 8.5" x 11" makes it to where someone cannot simply print out a sign from regular printer paper and post it. These crazy sign requirements basically mean that most signs out there in SC are pointless most of the time. Businesses don't put in the effort or time to get a "LEGAL" sign made up.

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
    (3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.
    Consultick likes this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    As Telum said,if they don't have the proper no gun signs,then you can go in any of them.I've only seen one bank in the part of S.C. i;m in with a no gun sign,and it wasn't the right size,wording,or in the right place.
    Timetrialsc likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Timetrial,that's bad that they all have the correct, no firearms signs.You didn't say they did,but,that's the only way,it would be illegal,as people know,or should know,if they have their CCP.
    I've never been in a town that has had the no firearm signs,on banks,except one,that's a credit union.
    Gotta look for one,that doesn't have the signs on the front,i guess.
    Brent95 and Manderinobyebye like this.

The sign at my credit union does not meet the standards for being legal,it is the sentiment and absurd logic that is driving me to find an alternative. I respect their private property rights and do not carry on their property. They deny me the right to protect myself and family but do not provide security in the parking lot. They tube out cash to me in my car at the drive thru fom behind bullet proof glass! I talked to the manager at Arthur State bank and she told me no cw allowed on bank property either even though it is not posted. I supose I could carry there legaly but do not want to support that mentality, the manager told me she is also frustrated with the policy and must leave her weapon at home.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Timetrial,they are not denying your rights.You are denying yourself those rights..No matter,how they feel,if they don't have the signs,it's legal..A lot of employees can't carry guns on their job..
    So you going to boycott a place,because,some don't like guns,but yet,they don't have the no gun signs,or,the correct one,and you are legal to carry.I've never heard that before,but hey,you do what you think you need to.

I have a lot to learn,but,this thread is confusing to me.I don't get what the OP means..How can a place be denying a ccer's rights,if it's legal for one to go in a business,if he has a cc permit?I'm kinda lost,lol.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    The bank i use,i don't know how they feel about firearms personally.I certainly would never ask ,or,tell them i have a permit,or,a firearm on me.All i do know,is they have no signs,so",i carry,but,never tell",to use a phrase,i read on here once.Hey,each to their own.
    Aceoky and maniacmechanic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timetrialsc View Post
    The sign at my credit union does not meet the standards for being legal,it is the sentiment and absurd logic that is driving me to find an alternative. I respect their private property rights and do not carry on their property. They deny me the right to protect myself and family but do not provide security in the parking lot. They tube out cash to me in my car at the drive thru fom behind bullet proof glass! I talked to the manager at Arthur State bank and she told me no cw allowed on bank property either even though it is not posted. I supose I could carry there legaly but do not want to support that mentality, the manager told me she is also frustrated with the policy and must leave her weapon at home.
    I understand your sentiment. Unfortunately there are anti-gun folks out there. It may be a corporate policy that the local bank does not agree with, but they have to post a sign anyway. There are gun shops out there that put signs up saying no loaded guns. But when you ask them about the sign, they simply say that's for the idiots that want to take out their gun and monkey around with it on the gun counter. Most say they fully endorse CC and your rights, but put the sign out for the idiots and insurnace purposes. Maybe some lawyer told them it was a good idea to put the sign out. Who knows. But if the sign is not legal on your bank, then don't worry about it and just keep on carrying and go about your business. When I was in SC I was more worried about the no carry in a restaurant that served alcohol even at places like Applebees etc... I think most in SC is trying to change that if it hasn't already.
    Timetrialsc likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent95 View Post
    I have a lot to learn,but,this thread is confusing to me.I don't get what the OP means..How can a place be denying a ccer's rights,if it's legal for one to go in a business,if he has a cc permit?I'm kinda lost,lol.

The OP does his banking at a credit union that has "no gun" signs posted. They are apparently incorrectly made/posted as per South Carolina state law. SC, like a lot of states, Texas comes to mind, are very distinctive about how the "no guns" signs should be manufactured and placement on the building. If the business posts an incorrect sign, or posts it in the wrong place, per the law, they have no force of law.

Personally I would not do business with a bank that is anti 2A.
    Timetrialsc likes this.

I hear you guys and get what you are telling me. The sign at my credit union has just made me angry enough to move my funds. If I am moving them anyway I would like to find a 'gun friendly" bank if it exists here.

VIP Member
    I would look for a smaller "regional" bank or community bank as I find they tend to provide a little better service than the big banks.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Stoveman,i can't get my permit yet,but trying to learn. I get what you are saying.It seems like, the wrong sign,would be a good sign for a ccer,lol.If they can't do anything to you,except,ask you to leave,i'm guessing,i would carry.
    If ccers are suppose to know the laws,the business that doesn't want guns in their place,should know the laws to.I guess a person,has to do,what they have to do.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Heck, I was going to tell you to find a Credit Union. I closed all my "bank" accounts years ago. My CU even allows for my business accounts. I wouldn't go to a bank for anything if I could possibly help it.

The only sign at my FCU says; "No sunglasses, hats or hoodies."
    -

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Heck, I was going to tell you to find a Credit Union. I closed all my "bank" accounts years ago. My CU even allows for my business accounts. I wouldn't go to a bank for anything if I could possibly help it.

The only sign at my FCU says; "No sunglasses, hats or hoodies."

-

May I ask where you go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links