Does anyone know if there is REALLY any difference HST vs Hydra shock

This is a discussion on Does anyone know if there is REALLY any difference HST vs Hydra shock within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 124 grain JHP's..by Federal...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Does anyone know if there is REALLY any difference HST vs Hydra shock

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Does anyone know if there is REALLY any difference HST vs Hydra shock

124 grain JHP's..by Federal
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

If you mean HST, yes there is a huge difference - HST is by far the superior option.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    If you mean HST, yes there is a huge difference - HST is by far the superior option.
    Yes thanks...I did mean HST's....will correct that.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I believe in using the best products for family protection and self protection. IMO shot placement is primary and ammo secondary..I use Hydra Shoks and SXT's, why because I have a hoarded stockpile of them
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

HST vs Hydrashock expansion. The one with the arm sticking up is the hydrashock, flower petal look is HST. I know this isn't telling you a lot about ballistics, but you can see the rounds are very very different. HST is the newer/better round for various reasons. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a hydrashock, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I believe in using the best products for family protection and self protection. IMO shot placement is primary and ammo secondary..I use Hydra Shoks and SXT's, why because I have a hoarded stockpile of them
    This ^^^^^
    A bullet doesnt mean squat if it does not hit the target, or does not hit in a vital area. Both the HST and the Hydrashock are proven rounds for defensive carry. Either will do the job and do it well, so I would pick whichever is more readily available and rock it. If you are determined to determine which performs best to your standards, buy 1,00 rounds of each, shoot 100 of each, pick your winner and mail the remainder of the one you dont want to me.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

They are two completely different designs, as you can see from the visual provided by Lotus. The HST is the more modern, and many would say more effective design. Both will definitely get the job done, as long as you do yours. Carry whichever you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    They are two completely different designs, as you can see from the visual provided by Lotus. The HST is the more modern, and many would say more effective design. Both will definitely get the job done, as long as you do yours. Carry whichever you prefer.
    Yes the visual was very telling....guess I got my answer....thanks to all......

Federal did the same thing that Hornady did with their FTX, they made a few changes so that the ammo passes all the FBI barrier tests. Seems that just like a lot of people want the guns carried by LEO, they also want ammo that is approved for LEO.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Yes the visual was very telling....
    Sometimes I have an uncanny grasp of the obvious!

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    The difference is that the marketing guys did an outstanding job coming up with a name that conjures mythical beasts coupled with rapid, crippling side effects for the earlier round, and then a bunch of new kids got into the department and failed with a slightly better cartridge when they went with HST over Gorgonimpailers or Krakensmackers! What a shame, what a shame, what a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    The difference is that the marketing guys did an outstanding job coming up with a name that conjures mythical beasts coupled with rapid, crippling side effects for the earlier round, and then a bunch of new kids got into the department and failed with a slightly better cartridge when they went with HST over Gorgonimpailers or Krakensmackers! What a shame, what a shame, what a shame...
    LOL. Yeah, the new name is definitely underwhelming, and doesn't instill confidence in the product, when compared to the name of the older design. I guess it's a good thing that people don't buy ammo because of the name. That is, I'm assuming people don't buy ammo for the name. I go with what works, regardless of the name. Of course, you'll have those who will buy the Hornady "Zombie" line of ammo because its name implies you'll survive a Zombie apocalypse, not realizing it's the same stuff as their Critical Defense line..

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am quite sure if either is well placed both will do their job. Speer is the round of choice by the majority of departments in my area.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Those are some beautiful bullet pictures, so sexy. Especially the HSTs, hhhnnnnngggg!!
    Semper Fi til I Die

Glock 29 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    LOL. Yeah, the new name is definitely underwhelming, and doesn't instill confidence in the product, when compared to the name of the older design. I guess it's a good thing that people don't buy ammo because of the name. That is, I'm assuming people don't buy ammo for the name. I go with what works, regardless of the name. Of course, you'll have those who will buy the Hornady "Zombie" line of ammo because its name implies you'll survive a Zombie apocalypse, not realizing it's the same stuff as their Critical Defense line..
    I have people look at me funny when I buy a few boxes of the zombie ammo, until I show them its 3.00 cheaper than the critical defense.
    thebucketeer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links