Arming/disarming before/after lunch with coworkers

This is a discussion on Arming/disarming before/after lunch with coworkers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Skatalite, Your best weapon is on your shoulders. Don't leave it locked up in your car. We all have times we cannot carry our favorite ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Arming/disarming before/after lunch with coworkers

Skatalite, Your best weapon is on your shoulders. Don't leave it locked up in your car. We all have times we cannot carry our favorite weapon but we still have weapons.
    9MMare likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

2. Remove Ads

Three options, basically:

1. Go armed anyway, not disarming while heading into work. It avoids the need to rearm/disarm while transitioning to lunch, etc. Of course, it means you risk the ire of your employer, if it's anti-gun.

2. Go armed in another manner, ie with pepper spray, knife, other tools. During lunch, you're with others, sometimes multiple others, and it's entirely likely you'll be safer in a larger group anyway. Might well not be worth testing the likelihood of getting caught out as a carrier, versus the likelihood of actually needing to be armed with a firearm during lunch hour. Might be worth the "risk" to be armed via other means.

3. Don't go armed, getting comfortable with the likelihood of meeting violent felons during lunch hour as being remote enough to accept.

Which method we pick depends on us and our evaluation of the pros/cons. We're all different. Every location/community is different. And the probabilities of meeting evil on a given day varies from person to person, place to place. Hard to say what's best for any given person. Pick one, and go with it.
    thebucketeer likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Always carry never tell. I cc And if I have to use it heaven forbid. I can find another job a lot easier than I can find another life. And we have a couple of unstable individuals at our work place. Stay safe and carry on.
    diver1102 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Three options, basically:

1. Go armed anyway, not disarming while heading into work. It avoids the need to rearm/disarm while transitioning to lunch, etc. Of course, it means you risk the ire of your employer, if it's anti-gun.

2. Go armed in another manner, ie with pepper spray, knife, other tools. During lunch, you're with others, sometimes multiple others, and it's entirely likely you'll be safer in a larger group anyway. Might well not be worth testing the likelihood of getting caught out as a carrier, versus the likelihood of actually needing to be armed with a firearm during lunch hour. Might be worth the "risk" to be armed via other means.

3. Don't go armed, getting comfortable with the likelihood of meeting violent felons during lunch hour as being remote enough to accept.

Which method we pick depends on us and our evaluation of the pros/cons. We're all different. Every location/community is different. And the probabilities of meeting evil on a given day varies from person to person, place to place. Hard to say what's best for any given person. Pick one, and go with it.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by thebucketeer View Post
    It's all about priorities and risk. We live in a real world and can't always control the circumstances we operate it. That's why most of us choose to carry. That said, we all make choices: Is lunch with coworkers more important than the PIA of having to disarm? Maybe or maybe not. We all have to make that decision. I too am not allowed to carry at work, so I typically leave my carry piece at home if all I'm doing is driving 4 miles to and from my office. That's my choice. I could lock it up in the gun safe in the car, but I'm not comfortable doing that. I'd rather have it locked up at home if it's not on my person.

The reality is that there are potential pitfalls and stigmas that could result from informing others that you carry a weapon. That's a sad statement about our society and political system, but it's still reality.
    This is how I do it too. I got a car gun safe I had bolted down under my seat, but I still was too nervous leaving it in there the entire time I was at work, so I just recently have ended up leaving it in the gun safe at home instead. I only live 1.5 miles from where I work too so my own personal risk assessment is that I feel ok getting too and from work without it. We are not allowed to leave the premises for lunch time also (they have a cafeteria or you can bring your own food in) so that is not an issue for me.

Why the big secret about "carrying". Why can't you just say "hang on a minute, I need to grab my gun"? If they can't handle the fact that you enjoy guns and have a permit,,,,, then you can decide whether or not to continue on to lunch with them.

I've never really understood "always carry, never tell". Why is it such a secret?

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    Why the big secret about "carrying". Why can't you just say "hang on a minute, I need to grab my gun"? If they can't handle the fact that you enjoy guns and have a permit,,,,, then you can decide whether or not to continue on to lunch with them.

I've never really understood "always carry, never tell". Why is it such a secret?
    One of the reasons is that invariably, the wrong people find out. For example, Joe works at a place where being armed is against company rules, so he locks his firearm in his car. Now if a half a dozen lunch buddies are aware that there's a gun sitting in Joe's car during work hours, even if it's in a safe, before you know it, lots more than a half dozen people know there's a gun in Joe's car, increasing the risk of theft. And maybe it's against company rules to even have a gun on company property, but Joe is discreet about it. If that gun becomes common knowledge, word will get to HR and now Joe is written up or worse, fired, for violating company rules.

And as far as carrying without telling, if you carry concealed, why tell anyone? Than makes no more sense than telling people you've got hundreds of dollars in your wallet.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

One reason I don't wish coworkers to know is because I'm a journalist, and although I work for a conservative media conglomerate that respects the 2A, I might not work with people who do. Furthermore, and more importantly, if coworkers found out then it could compromise my ability and desire to write about gun-related topics because I could be perceived as bias.

Three coworkers know I carry. One is because we surprised one another by showing up at the same concealed carry class, another because we ran into one another at a LGS, and another because she's open about her carrying and I struck up a conversation with her. I'd like to keep it to just those three.
    Last edited by skatalite; June 25th, 2013 at 01:02 AM.

it would be nice if carrying was so accepted that you could say that... I really wouldn't want every random person that I had lunch with to know I carry a gun on a daily basis though.

VIP Member
    If it were me and didn't want coworkers to know (for whatever reason), I'd just leave it secured when having lunch with them. I made it 21 years without having a gun on me during lunch and don't feel uncomfortable doing so now that I can carry..
    DetChris likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Because some people make a big fuss and then feel the need to discuss it...with you, with the rest of the world at large.

Because some people make inappropriate comments and jokes (they think) in very inappropriate places. Like bringing it up in front of a waiter that does not know the law and is afraid of guns and can upset an entire restaurant. (Just one example)

Because I am more protected when no one knows I am armed. Women are harmed more by people they know than by strangers.

People carry 'concealed' for reasons beyond what state laws may instruct.
    DetChris likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Because ramifications can be very real, with some people. Not everyone is so accommodating. Social relationships, work relationships, one's employment ... these can all be damaged if the "wrong" people find out. Many people have found this, to their detriment.

Of course, many folks don't have any such situation, in their lives. Bully for them. But not everyone is so fortunate.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For me, it isn't a problem if people know that I'm pro-gun. I can't even think of anyone that I know, or work with, that's anti-gun.

I know people that don't own guns and have no desire to own them, but they aren't anti (as far as I know). And I don't know many people like that.

I even know two people, that don't own guns, who joined the NRA earlier this year, lol.

Just tell them you like to go to RuthsChirs Steak house everyday, that should dissuade folks..unless they have money!
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member

In my particular circumstances, the knowledge that I carry would have a very adverse effect on the relationships that my wife and I currently enjoy with her family. We love them all, in spite of their hoplophobia, and I would never be willing to let my carry status run them out of our lives.
    9MMare likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links