Arming/disarming before/after lunch with coworkers

This is a discussion on Arming/disarming before/after lunch with coworkers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lot of us probably work in an office building where firearms aren't allowed. I do, and because of such I have to disarm when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Arming/disarming before/after lunch with coworkers

A lot of us probably work in an office building where firearms aren't allowed. I do, and because of such I have to disarm when I get to work and secure the weapons in my vehicle.

But since I've moved to the day shift, several coworkers have made future lunch dates with me, and it got me wondering how in the heck am I going to get around arming and disarming myself without alerting my coworkers to the fact that I carry.

There are a couple immediate suggestions:

1. Drive myself
    2. Pull the, "Oh, I left something in my car..." routine

The first one can only take me so far since people generally carpool for office lunch breaks. The second option is the best, but could ultimately become fishy if I have to do it again and again, especially with the same people.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks, everyone.

Distinguished Member
    Depending on your co-workers feelings about CC, you may be better off just leaving your weapon secured during lunch.
    I'm also in a day-job situation where I must secure my pistol in a vehicle safe... however more than half of my co-workers at this office location also carry & secure in vehicle and the other half know & understand.
    phreddy likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I personally would leave it where it is and just go to lunch.
    Aceoky, phreddy, G26Raven and 6 others like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Joining this nationwide forum has definately opened my eyes to the fact that even so called pro-gun people have a different mindset in different parts of the country.

Honestly if it was me, I would not be going to lunch with people that I work with that are not comfortable with me carrying. Everytime I have started a new job, I strike up converstations to get a feel for their feelings on guns. Usually it comes out that most are cool with it or carry themselves. But I realize that I live in a very gun friendly part of the country.

If you want to carry, I would not let others dictate whether you did or not. I also do not understand the feeling that some have where they need to keep the fact that they carry a secret. Again, just a different mindset I suppose. Most everyone I know, knows the fact that I carry everywhere I can. Those that don't like it can kiss my big fat toe. But I usually take the time to try and convert those sheep and I have a good track record at doing so up to this point.

Just do this, leave your sunglasses or cell phone in your car or something. And then say, I have to go get said item. It's not a lie since you actually go get it if it makes you feel better.

I just disarm when I get to work (along with the 7 other people in my department who CC), then strap it back on at the end of the day.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sometimes you just can't carry, or at least not without making it a pain in the butt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TelumPisces View Post
    Joining this nationwide forum has definately opened my eyes to the fact that even so called pro-gun people have a different mindset in different parts of the country.

Honestly if it was me, I would not be going to lunch with people that I work with that are not comfortable with me carrying. Everytime I have started a new job, I strike up converstations to get a feel for their feelings on guns. Usually it comes out that most are cool with it or carry themselves. But I realize that I live in a very gun friendly part of the country.

If you want to carry, I would not let others dictate whether you did or not. I also do not understand the feeling that some have where they need to keep the fact that they carry a secret. Again, just a different mindset I suppose. Most everyone I know, knows the fact that I carry everywhere I can. Those that don't like it can kiss my big fat toe. But I usually take the time to try and convert those sheep and I have a good track record at doing so up to this point.

Just do this, leave your sunglasses or cell phone in your car or something. And then say, I have to go get said item. It's not a lie since you actually go get it if it makes you feel better.
    It's all about priorities and risk. We live in a real world and can't always control the circumstances we operate it. That's why most of us choose to carry. That said, we all make choices: Is lunch with coworkers more important than the PIA of having to disarm? Maybe or maybe not. We all have to make that decision. I too am not allowed to carry at work, so I typically leave my carry piece at home if all I'm doing is driving 4 miles to and from my office. That's my choice. I could lock it up in the gun safe in the car, but I'm not comfortable doing that. I'd rather have it locked up at home if it's not on my person.

The reality is that there are potential pitfalls and stigmas that could result from informing others that you carry a weapon. That's a sad statement about our society and political system, but it's still reality.
    9MMare likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    OldVet,very true,you can't,sometimes..Althou a few here and there,acts like the world will stop rotating if they can't.Not sure how those survived,before,they got their permit,lol..I don't advertise to people i carry.That said,if they find out i carry ,and get ugly about it,or,don't like it,then i probably won't be going with them.
    I guess,it's according to the situation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    A lot of us probably work in an office building where firearms aren't allowed. I do, and because of such I have to disarm when I get to work and secure the weapons in my vehicle.

But since I've moved to the day shift, several coworkers have made future lunch dates with me, and it got me wondering how in the heck am I going to get around arming and disarming myself without alerting my coworkers to the fact that I carry.

There are a couple immediate suggestions:

1. Drive myself
    2. Pull the, "Oh, I left something in my car..." routine

The first one can only take me so far since people generally carpool for office lunch breaks. The second option is the best, but could ultimately become fishy if I have to do it again and again, especially with the same people.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks, everyone.
    I got training to better deal with potential problems which may arise when I am not able to carry.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Is the firearm the OP's only means of self-defense? No pepper spray, other training, etc?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Knives, pepper spray (or other non-lethal tool) and an alert mind can still get you through your average lunch break. Just be smart about where you go. Also, if you are not comfortable with the location chosen for lunch, don't be afraid to decline. There is always a way to bow out of a casual luncheon.
    BobbyLee likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I got training to better deal with potential problems which may arise when I am not able to carry.
    This will solve a multitude of problems. A little training to use a vast number of options that are available when a gun is not.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Same situation as you OP. I just choose to be unarmed when it's close to impossible to arm up before heading out to lunch with co workers. It's a risk I sometimes have to take. Always keep a knife and your SA with you. SA keeps you out of 99% of danger. Your gun, knife, teeth, nails or running away will hopefully get you out of the 1% you just can't avoid.
    BobbyLee and Zeebra724 like this.

VIP Member
    For me, it would depend on where I was going. Your routine run of the mill joint in a safe neighborhood, I would just head on out.

If the group wanted to go to a rougher part of town because "that sandwich is to die for", I would make the excuse and arm up.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I do carry a knife, but no sprays. I have limited defensive training, but nothing from a professional/accredited individual. Just things my father taught me growing up (retired Navy, former private security).

But this discussion has been particularly awesome. It made me see I should get into some classes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links