To carry or not to carry, that is the question

To carry or not to carry, that is the question

This is a discussion on To carry or not to carry, that is the question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Generally speaking, I dont have a huge problem with this question...the answer is always carry unless the law states otherwise. However...I am currently in an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: To carry or not to carry, that is the question

Red face To carry or not to carry, that is the question

Generally speaking, I dont have a huge problem with this question...the answer is always carry unless the law states otherwise.

However...I am currently in an internship and the site I am at has not provided me their firearm policy. I am afraid to ask. If I ask and they say no then, well, I cannot carry. If they say yes no worries. Then there is the whole issue of why I am asking (I am a firm believer of the "dont ask dont tell policy" of conceal carry - no one needs to know if/when I carry). I know at some sites in other states that this company does not allow firearms on site but it is not specified for this particular site anywhere that I can fine (or any for my state that I can find - I live in Virginia).

The great news is that at my school we are allowed to carry on campus and in class. I do not want to do anything that would jeopardize my education, however, I also want to be safe in downtown!!!

Thoughts???

Ask if they have an employee handbook. It is usually published either in handout form or on their intranet.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Nix
    Consult a lawyer.
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Ask if they have an employee handbook. It is usually published either in handout form or on their intranet.
    ^^^^^ This is the best way to handle it. They should have given you a handbook the first day you were there. ^^^^^
    phreddy, shadowwalker and Aceoky like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Thanks!!!! No, I was not given a handbook. I can certainly ask for one. It is interesting that the site in other states list that no firearms on the premises are allowed but in the ones here in VA, I cannot find that information. I can ask for the handbook.

VIP Member
    In all the time I have been carrying, I have never asked anyone if it is OK for me to carry on their premises. It is either posted, or it is not, and the law here gives me no duty to inform except during official Law Enforcement Officer encounters.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Is your class in a warzone? Dude! Just don't carry, and don't ask. If carrying a pistol starts negatively impacting your life then it is a problem. If you're an intern at a firm and you want them to offer you a job THAT should be your focus, not carrying a pistol. If its a very corporate operation odds are they will be completely ignorant about firearms, and react negatively to your inquiry. If there is a question about how they'll react then simply don't go there.
    Get the job, and then figure it out.

I go outside and walk around in the rain all the time. I eat bacon. I drink whisky. I do lots of things that the statisticians say could lead to my demise, but I don't let that get in the way of enjoying my life, and I certainly wouldn't let this affect your bottom line, or derail a potentially lucrative and rewarding career. I'll even go further and say that I think anyone who would tell you differently, and to CCW because you don't want to take any chances with your life for your job, is a lunatic. We take chances everyday with our lives when we walk out the door. Taking chances is a very big and wonderful part of life, and in my estimation NOT carrying a pistol while you're securing a job is such a miniscule chance there is nothing to even think about!

Of course, I don't know your full situation. I work in an office that is more like a football locker room. Everyone is male except for the office support staff. You don't have to watch what you say or do at all as long as you're a gentleman to the ladies. If I pick up a new weapon during the work week I usually bring it in and show it off, and the worst reaction from one of the assistants is an eye-roll. I would not function well in an uptight corporate atmosphere, but if that's the job you want just know you're going to be dealing with that.
    Nix likes this.

Jaeger, No, my class is not a warzone. In fact, we live in a fairly small and mostly safe place. Someone was just shot close to there in broad daylight for no apparent reason the other day and it got me thinking. Yeah, I think too much sometimes. It is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things and no, it is not a make it or break it issue for me, but at the same time, if I can carry then I want to carry.

I have worked at places including a law enforcement agency where carrying on the property including the parking lot was a firing offence. Only sworn officers at the law enforcement agency could carry. If it is an "at will" state, it doesn't need to be posted or in the employee handbook. Carry at work is a sticky subject for many people.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Jsrdrnr, if you are not breaking any laws of your state. I say carry on. There is no reason to bring attention to yourself....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sounds like you are doing your internship at a Non-Permissive Environment (NPE). It's not against the law to carry there, but it is probably and most likely against company policy to be carrying there. If found out you will be trespassed and lose your internship most likely.

If you choose to carry there, then you need to make sure you mention it to no one. It doesn't matter who they are, don't say a word.

Your choice of weapon and carry mode will greatly increase or decrease your chances of being found out.

Claude Werner was the head instructor at the famous Bill Rogers Shooting School, but he also worked a corporate job in a NPE. He knows a thing or two about carrying in a NPE. Good luck.

Pocket Autoloading Pistols for Personal Defense

April 2012

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...n-you-need-it/

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...et-gun-enough/
    stylus likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Jsrdrnr, if you are not breaking any laws of your state. I say carry on. There is no reason to bring attention to yourself....
    The OP rightly makes the distinction between what's legal and what is authorized by the organization he's working for. He could be perfectly legal and lose his position for violating company policy. I'm in the same boat where I work. I'm in an office all by myself and my boss is 1500 miles away. None the less, it is clearly stated in the company's policies that firearms are a prohibited item in company facilities. I don't like it, but not enough to put my job in jeopardy. Everyone's circumstances are different and everyone has to determine what's best for them and their family.
    perfection likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebucketeer View Post
    The OP rightly makes the distinction between what's legal and what is authorized by the organization he's working for. He could be perfectly legal and lose his position for violating company policy. I'm in the same boat where I work. I'm in an office all by myself and my boss is 1500 miles away. None the less, it is clearly stated in the company's policies that firearms are a prohibited item in company facilities. I don't like it, but not enough to put my job in jeopardy. Everyone's circumstances are different and everyone has to determine what's best for them and their family.
    There are choices the we make every day. The OP has to make one, just as you and I have. He was asking what we would do. That is the meaning behind my previous post. Just for clarification...
    perfection likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Check state law concerning the type of place...check the business handbook...look for signs, but DO NOT ASK anyone about it at the site.
    Asking will put up a red flag, and you don't want that to happen. No apparent law, sign, or handbook mention is a good thing...then conceal really well.OMO
    gtfoxy, MrsHB and Aceoky like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Is your class in a warzone? Dude! Just don't carry, and don't ask. If carrying a pistol starts negatively impacting your life then it is a problem. If you're an intern at a firm and you want them to offer you a job THAT should be your focus, not carrying a pistol. If its a very corporate operation odds are they will be completely ignorant about firearms, and react negatively to your inquiry. If there is a question about how they'll react then simply don't go there.
    Get the job, and then figure it out.

I go outside and walk around in the rain all the time. I eat bacon. I drink whisky. I do lots of things that the statisticians say could lead to my demise, but I don't let that get in the way of enjoying my life, and I certainly wouldn't let this affect your bottom line, or derail a potentially lucrative and rewarding career. I'll even go further and say that I think anyone who would tell you differently, and to CCW because you don't want to take any chances with your life for your job, is a lunatic. We take chances everyday with our lives when we walk out the door. Taking chances is a very big and wonderful part of life, and in my estimation NOT carrying a pistol while you're securing a job is such a miniscule chance there is nothing to even think about!

Of course, I don't know your full situation. I work in an office that is more like a football locker room. Everyone is male except for the office support staff. You don't have to watch what you say or do at all as long as you're a gentleman to the ladies. If I pick up a new weapon during the work week I usually bring it in and show it off, and the worst reaction from one of the assistants is an eye-roll. I would not function well in an uptight corporate atmosphere, but if that's the job you want just know you're going to be dealing with that.
    Hi!

I'm a lunatic.

Oh, and apparently I'm not the only lunatic on this forum.

Have a nice day!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links