Concealed carry in Philadelphia?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in Philadelphia? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are going to Philadelphia for a few days and I can't remember the exact details of the stipulations for carry there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Concealed carry in Philadelphia?

Talking Concealed carry in Philadelphia?

My wife and I are going to Philadelphia for a few days and I can't remember the exact details of the stipulations for carry there

We both have LTCF's from Lycoming County PA ...I jus remember that Philadelphia is a class 1 city

Anybody know first hand of any difference that there is?

Any info on where not to carry ( if anywhere) ?

Any info on carry friendly businesses?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I believe you can OC with your permit.

Good luck, Philly is tough....

Start here: Handgunlaw.us

What you read on internet forums is not always true and/or accurate.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    You should be OK carrying concealed in Philly:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

"Open Carry is legal except a valid permit/license is needed to carry a loaded firearm openly or concealed in a
    vehicle and for openly carrying in the city of Philadelphia. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above
    apply to those who open carry. When open carrying, be prepared for Police Officers to question you as open
    carrying firearm gets their attention. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a
    vehicle.
    The state preempts all firearm laws in the state and local authorities can’t have Laws/Ordinances against
    open carry except cities of the 1st class were given exemptions to some parts of preemption. Philadelphia has
    laws/ordinances concerning open carry and only those with a valid permit/license to carry can open carry in
    Philadelphia. Remember that if you enter any property and the owner/responsible person ask you to leave"
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I have found a little more info ...it seems OC/CC is legal all you need is a valid LTCF

What the stipulation of a class 1 city is that to OC you still need an LTCF

Sounds like you're leaving Little Philly to visit Big Philly, good luck. As for your question on carry in Philly, I would not even attempt OC there. CC is the way to go, you do not want to let people know you have a gun and I suspect the LEO's would not be your biggest problem depending where in Philly you are at.
    Hopyard and jem102 like this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

+1 on the "CC is the way to go". Although Philthydelphia is supposedly getting better with training their officers on OC. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them considering how anti Nutter and Ramsey are. Dont get me started on the complete idiot the sheeple elected as Attorney General.
    When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

NRA Life Member

I went to school for work in Philly. The instructor welcomed us and invited us to see the sights while we were there. He advised us to hire a cab to take us around though. He said that some parts of the city,one wrong turn would lead to being stopped in the street and the car stolen,us robbed and probably never being seen alive again. As a side note the instructor was a very nice well educated black man. So I don't have any reason to think any racial tension was influencing his advice. This was probably 15 years ago. I wonder,is it better or worse there now?

You won't get me to go there to find out if it is any better.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pignut View Post
    I went to school for work in Philly. The instructor welcomed us and invited us to see the sights while we were there. He advised us to hire a cab to take us around though. He said that some parts of the city,one wrong turn would lead to being stopped in the street and the car stolen,us robbed and probably never being seen alive again. As a side note the instructor was a very nice well educated black man. So I don't have any reason to think any racial tension was influencing his advice. This was probably 15 years ago. I wonder,is it better or worse there now?
    It is like any other large city. You can be in a relatively safe place and still be just a few hundred feet from
    a relatively bad place. I'm only familiar with Market St and everything South to the edge of the city. There are
    some interesting neighborhoods. On the whole I think the place has improved since 2000 when I first went there.
    Some really bad places have become gentrified and upscale.

City building code requires the new stuff to look just like the old stuff so sometimes you can be standing outside
    a million dollar home and think you are in front of a slum dwelling. Homes across from where my son lives
    run 750K but you wouldn't be safe two blocks away.

That's just the way it is in large old cities. The neighborhoods run through cycles of grandeur, aging, decay, and
    renewal.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

A valid LTCF from any Pennsylvania county, and of course reciprocating states, is fine in Philly for OC and CC. As somebody has already said, you are much better off concealed. The police will find any reason to bother you if you're walking around visibly carrying. Depending on where you are in Philadelphia, the police may not be your biggest concern. Firearm theft is a problem in the city and I'd imagine you'd (ironically) become a target to a bold few by OC.

Not sure what kind of businesses you mean by being "carry friendly". No place in the city that I know of has openly said they love when people have guns on them, save the ranges. If you're talking about restaurants, bars, shopping, etc., I'd say you're fine just do your best not to print. I'm not sure what percent of the time people notice whether I carry or not, but I've been politely asked to leave a restaurant or two. Thats at the discretion of the business.

A lot of the attractions in Old City (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall) are absolutely off limits as far as any type of carrying goes, but they aren't places you'll accidentally wander into either.

Have a fun and safe trip in Philly. I hope you're waiting for better weather.

I was raised in Williamsport and lived there until I was 42. It was a great place to grow up and live into the late 80's but became such a mess I moved my family to TN 20 years ago. One of the best things I ever did.

When we were first married my wife had to go to the home office in Philly 3-4 times a year. We stayed at the Ben Franklin and in the evening would walk all the way down Market with a quick stop at WMMR "The Radio Station" in Rittenhouse Square then on to The Original BookBinders and have fresh swordfish. Never a problem but I would not try it now armed or not.

"I" most assuredly would not open carry in Philly and as already stated not for fear of the police...Ifyou carry there keep it covered.

I only get back to "Bill Town" every few years now but I don't even bother with center city.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

You can CC in Philly on your permit. You can OC ONLY with a permit. Because Philly is a 1st class city, you have to have a permit to open carry. As others have said, I would advise against OC. You're likely to get hassled and by LE and/or get a MWAG call.

Keep your permit on you, and you won't have a problem.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I was raised in Williamsport and lived there until I was 42. It was a great place to grow up and live into the late 80's but became such a mess I moved my family to TN 20 years ago. One of the best things I ever did.

When we were first married my wife had to go to the home office in Philly 3-4 times a year. We stayed at the Ben Franklin and in the evening would walk all the way down Market with a quick stop at WMMR "The Radio Station" in Rittenhouse Square then on to The Original BookBinders and have fresh swordfish. Never a problem but I would not try it now armed or not.

"I" most assuredly would not open carry in Philly and as already stated not for fear of the police...Ifyou carry there keep it covered.

I only get back to "Bill Town" every few years now but I don't even bother with center city.
    I was born and raised in Williamsport. Lived there up until 1982, some 44 years and when I moved it was only about 40 miles away but it was still far enough. Williamsport used to be a great little town until a former mayor decided they could open up a drug rehabilitation center and be funded. Since then it's been nothing but trouble with drug dealers and crime pouring in from Philly and Jersey.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

I CC everyday in Philly. There are a lot of Federal properties ie. Immigration offices, US MINT etc. Philthadelphia holds many National (Federally owned) properties and treasures. I never have a problem but I'm born and raised. I use police detail for my job in the city and have gotten to talk to 100 + officers. You'd be surprised how many only know about guns because they have to wear one. I've tried striking up friendly gun conversation with many of them and I would say 50% don't even know what a 1911 is. I asked one what is duty weapon was and he had to unholster it to look. It's a job to most beat cops. A paycheck. So I would expect mostly fear and caution from any LEO if you OC. I never leave home without my EDC in this city. Keep your SA about you. Philly is a tough city. Oh yeah and there is a school zone every 3 to 4 blocks FYI
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links