AFTER having to draw your CCW what color conditions do you actually find yourself in?

This is a discussion on AFTER having to draw your CCW what color conditions do you actually find yourself in? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to draw my weapon to stop a violent perp trying to commit a robbery. Since then I find myswlf much more alert and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFTER having to draw your CCW what color conditions do you actually find yourself in?

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

AFTER having to draw your CCW what color conditions do you actually find yourself in?

I had to draw my weapon to stop a violent perp trying to commit a robbery. Since then I find myswlf much more alert and have reduced the color system to three.
    White- no longer exists in this world, Perhaps Plesantville or when bonking your significient other.
    Yellow, expect danger every second in today's Urban World. Be constantly situationaly aware of what is going on around you.
    Red, you see and react to a dangerous situation by preparing to run or shoot.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure why you dropped orange.

That surely is still a valid precursor to red - even if temporally only separated by a short time interval.

I would not want to be over zealous in drawing and might be in orange ''at the ready'' mentally and still have my option to downgrade back to yellow if the threat is either mis-identified or at a level below that requiring my response with the gun. Of course yes too - the option to run, which may well if need be include seeking cover.

I have not experienced your described circumstance but try to keep my awareness at a keen level regardless tho I guess what you describe could still even more sharpen your alert level.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    By going by what the title to the thread says, I'll have to say red. I would never draw my weapon unless its a red condition.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    P-95 have you ever drawn your gun and pointed it at someone having made your mind up that you will shoot if need be. If you have then answer the question. Not to demean you but I absolutely guarantee you will go through a mindset change once you have done it. That's what I'm asking, no offense to anyone.

I think you forgot brown also...that's where the fear sets in and the trousers get soiled....

As this discussion goes on, I'm thinking I'd go by the system as originally devised and go along with the inventor's expertise. As I recall it was the late Col. Jeff Cooper, right? Need I say more....
    Last edited by JimmyC4; November 22nd, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    P-95 have you ever drawn your gun and pointed it at someone having made your mind up that you will shoot if need be. If you have then answer the question. Not to demean you but I absolutely guarantee you will go through a mindset change once you have done it. That's what I'm asking, no offense to anyone.
    Well, by your argument, the colors would be white, orange, red. There is a pretty clear distinction between yellow and orange in my most humble opinion. If, due to you having to 'go red', you now choose to live in something more akin to orange, that doesn't mean that yellow does not exist.

These color gradings have come about over many years of many people having to draw their gun, some many times. Some had to shoot too. I would imagine you did not (and if you did I would not post about it until the long legal aftermath has run its course).

So, I'm with Chris on this. Yellow is general awareness of possible threats. Orange is a more intense analysis and initial response to a more specific threat. Red is response and engagement.

Assistant Administrator
    3F - no I have fortunately not had to have my gun on someone - tho I can believe ''something'' would occur to my mindset following such an event. Maybe as you describe an even further heightening of awareness.

No offence taken - and perhaps I am not in an ideal position to comment on your observation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Smile

Yes, and no mindset change.

Orange is the decision making color. In yellow IF I see something that does not look right, I move into orange as I investigate, revert to yellow if no problem is found or stay in orange and observe--retreat to cover, etc, and move into red if needed.

Yes, all of this can happen in a NY second---or it could take several minutes.

Just the opinion of one old guy :))
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

No White Here...

Yellow...all the time...

Orange...I understand it...it could happen...but I am pretty careful about where I tread...

Orange and Red will be close together...I don't have a problem with either...

If the SHTF, red lights wil be going off everywhere...

Stay alert...stay in yellow...stay safe!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by KC135 View Post
    Yes, and no mindset change.

Orange is the decision making color. In yellow IF I see something that does not look right, I move into orange as I investigate, revert to yellow if no problem is found or stay in orange and observe--retreat to cover, etc, and move into red if needed.

Yes, all of this can happen in a NY second---or it could take several minutes.

Just the opinion of one old guy :))

I agree.

I too have been in the situation where I had to "draw down" on someone, but I have NOT changed my mind set.

I believe the idea of yellow all the time and I do mean ALL THE TIME is ok, but Orange all the time can create problems for you. If you live in a constant state of high alert then you will become drained, paranoid, or both.

You also can’t go from yellow to red. You MUST think before you react in any situation. Even if this “thinking” process takes a fraction of a second, it is that fraction of a second where you are in orange.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

In my scheme of color coding red is when a person perceives an assault about to happen or is happening.

One color everyone seemed to forget: black.

This is the post-attack period which is usually followed by the victim suffering from exhaustion, fatigue, remorse (short term), and can lead to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (long term).

This is probably one of the most overlooked and yet can have some of the most life-altering effects.
    Ray

كافر, and proud of it

European American, and proud of it

Member of the NRA, and proud of it

Be courteous, be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I have no use for a color scheme to tell me what mood I'm in.

DC Founder
    I'm with KC135 and PolarBear. I have had, on one occasion, drawn my gun on someone to prevent a crime (on me) and it did not change my mindset. At least not permanently. I believe, as others have said, that orange is an important stage and should not be "discarded".
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Since starting to carry in 1995, I have had to draw the gun once, when a two-person attack on me was in progress in a dark parking lot.

That evening, I was in con-Yellow with head on a swivel, continuously monitoring all corners of the lot. I saw the pair a couple aisles of cars over, as I exited my car and began to walk toward the store. They split up and the "lead" guy kept watching me, which sent me into Orange, with hand on the gun (pocket-carried S&W 442 Airweight .38+P). They were still ~45yds away, but I had a bad feeling, due to the attention they were sending my direction. The second guy had darted behind me about 10 cars and was circling around. Went Red as the lead guy crossed into the next aisle over. As he emerged from the pair of cars to my right (about 30ft away), I ducked in between the two cars to my left, drew my gun at low-ready position, and quickly suggested he had an important decision to make ... at which point he and his accomplice immediately pivoted and disappeared into the shadows away from me. Had he continued towards me a couple of steps out of the aisle into the driveway, I fear I would had to have shot him. He saw it in my resolve and reactions that he was at the end of his rope. They both showed more intelligence than I suspected they had. Good for them. Better for me.

Had I not been monitoring, I think the accomplice would have come up behind me very quickly. The lead guy was very tall and good-sized; I would have had a hard time physically repelling him. I thought one or both were armed, but they hadn't gotten to the point of showing their cards. Each seemed to be physically conscious of his position, hands ... as if debating whether to go for a weapon. Their manifest intent was obvious, by virtue of their actions. Being in Orange with hand-on-gun, then going quickly to Red as the situation became clear, I'm convinced I stopped cold a violent robbery that would otherwise have occurred.

White, Yellow, Orange, Red. I'm constantly in Yellow, am bordering on Orange or coming in/out of Orange as I transit through populated or strange areas and see questionable people/situations. The above encounter has been the only time I have gone into Red. And had I not been so comfortable jumping between Yellow and Orange, I don't believe I could have reacted as smoothly as I did, in that encounter. Orange is good. Training and mental/situational preparedness served me well, then. It has only gotten more-refined since then, with the "radar" antennae a heavily active component and the obvious nature of that radar is more-subdued and less-visible. Works well for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have drawn my weapon many times, before, during, and after a threat presented itself. I do not live in condition orange. I believe anyone could be a threat (Yellow), but do not believe or prepare without reason someone is attemping to harm me or mine(Orange). I try to train and practice to make the transition between the two as quick as I can when needed, and once in Orange going to Red is a blink of an eye!

threefeathers-
    "Red, you see and react to a dangerous situation by 'preparing' to run or shoot."

That is actually condition Orange, condition Red is engagment.

I guess one could live in condition Orange, but stress will get you before a bad guy ever does .

Edit-To clarify myself, engagment does not mean actually shooting someone, but going into a physicaly denfensive mode, drawing gun, running etc....

To each his own and this is IMO based on my expierences.
    Last edited by Devone6; November 22nd, 2006 at 10:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links