Am I Being Paranoid?

This is a discussion on Am I Being Paranoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm 65, thin, have pure white hair and look older because of all that. I also carry expensive camera equipment after dark sometimes: night photography ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Am I Being Paranoid?

Am I Being Paranoid?

I'm 65, thin, have pure white hair and look older because of all that. I also carry expensive camera equipment after dark sometimes: night photography being a second career. So i guess if older folks are a bit more a "mark" for BGs I was a bit of one.

Now due to spinal problem that affects my legs I must walk VERY slowly and frankly were an unarmed but huge guy to attack me physically if even I fell on my back I could be paralyzed from the waist down. Ie. I have no way to ward off a unarmed attack but shooting, I can't fight back. So, #1: Am I realistically more of a "mark" now that I walk like a real old man? Or is this just paranoia?
    (The doctors are still trying to determine a course of action for me, so all this is quite recent)

Second, I know disparity of force might allow me to shoot an unarmed attacker, but I also know pratically-speaking, standing next to an unarmed dead guy is not a good position to be in - nor would I want to have to shoot an unarmed person, danger to me or not.

So I thought of secondary non-lethal weapons I could also Carry that would give me a choice between a maybe fatal beating and shooting an unarmed attacker: one such weapon would be Pepper Spray, or the other a very bright weapon light. (Carrying both plus a gun I think would be confusing to me).

Any thoughts on which would be best for quick non-lethal attempt at Self-Defense? And still give you time to use a gun if they weren't successful?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by detective; June 26th, 2013 at 05:02 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    a taser would be the only thing i know of that could deliver incapacitation with minimal risk of death, if you fear for your life or there was multiple attackers i`d skip the taser and go straight to BANG!

i carry mace and light but i would not count on either to save my life, they are only for when deadly force is not appropriate, like fending of belligerent drunks and pushy bums.

neither light or mace will stop an attacker who really means to do you harm, while traveling in Asia i maced a drunk guy that took a swing at me, took a few seconds for him to show an reaction, there is a you tube video of a prison guard getting the snot kicked out of him as he emptied the can of mace into his attackers face with no affect at all. a light can also have almost no affect on some one who is determined or knows how to counter it, by looking down and tackling you. a friend demonstrated this to me. he rushed me and i pulled out my 500 lumen sure fire. he avoided looking at the light and just kept track of my feet and successfully tackled me and knocked me to the ground.

time is not on your side when an attack happens, worrying about the BGs well being could get you killed, if you feel that you cannot take a human life then perhaps a gun is not for you.

armed or not, a deadly threat is a deadly threat. these times we live in you may also be faced with a situation where you may have to shoot a teenager. many extremely violent crimes are committed by teens these days. thee knock out gang targeted the elderly and others that appear to be weak and alone for fun.

links coming up

stay safe !
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    detective and Ghost1958 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Uh ... when I go some places... I have a sudden need for a cane. I've learned a lot about use of weapons (not guns) and how to use them, and that cane... well, it's a very good weapon if you know how to use it right.

Otherwise, add a taser to the belt with some bear spray (can shoot them at 20 ft+).
    Oldpsufan and Hoganbeg like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Uh ... when I go some places... I have a sudden need for a cane. I've learned a lot about use of weapons (not guns) and how to use them, and that cane... well, it's a very good weapon if you know how to use it right.

Otherwise, add a taser to the belt with some bear spray (can shoot them at 20 ft+).

and then there's...bear taser this Wildlife Taser Perfect For Incapacitating Yogi Bear | Geeky Gadgets

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    ...snip....
    Second, I know disparity of force might allow me to shoot an unarmed attacker, but I also know pratically-speaking, standing next to an unarmed dead guy is not a good position to be in - nor would I want to have to shoot an unarmed person, danger to me or not.
    I completely understand, sir. I'd be willing to say 99% of us here on this forum don't want to take a life. Even when defending one's self or one's family, taking a life is nothing to sneeze at.

@bold - Given your condition, just about anything from an ice-covered sidewalk to a drugged up BG is a danger to you. I'd suggest reevaluating this position. At the end of the day, you need to make it home and do so safely. Firing a warning shot or a limb shot would not do you any favors. If an unprovoked threat presents it's self, please do be capable of defending yourself and dealing with it accordingly.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    Wonder if they're legal where I live.

From OP

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I completely understand, sir. I'd be willing to say 99% of us here on this forum don't want to take a life. Even when defending one's self or one's family, taking a life is nothing to sneeze at.

@bold - Given your condition, just about anything from an ice-covered sidewalk to a drugged up BG is a danger to you. I'd suggest reevaluating this position. At the end of the day, you need to make it home and do so safely. Firing a warning shot or a limb shot would not do you any favors. If an unprovoked threat presents it's self, please do be capable of defending yourself and dealing with it accordingly.
    I think this is an excellent answer and all have been helpful. When it's time to save your life, unarmed attacker, armed attacker, whatever - THAT'S the task right now, and you can't not save your life for fear of legal repercussion. You're there, it's your life and and dealing with that is your first job. What happens after and what the authorities believe or do is for another day and time.

Thanks, good advice. Thanks.

ALso I realized I am really vulnerable reading your post. Though the lack of money would hurt, this may be the time to cease taking photos at night and stay away from evening walks until the medical pieces of the puzzle are in place and I know more what my future may be.
    Last edited by detective; June 26th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

No you are not being paranoid and it certainly does not help walking the streets of Buffalo at night with expensive camera equipment with your condition. I'd say if you haven't been attacked yet you are extremely lucky. I won't tell you what to do, that's your decision, but I have a similar situation (elderly, BTK prosthetic, and physically unable to defend myself) and if I was under attack for any reason I would not hesitate to use a gun. The problem is unless your SA is extremely high, you may not even see an attack coming.
    darbo, detective, Hopyard and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I think this is an excellent answer and all have been helpful. But when it's time to save your life, unarmed attacker, armed attacker, whatever - THAT'S the task right now, and you can't not save your life for fear of legal repercussion. You're there, it's your life and and dealing with that is your first job. What happens after and what the authorities believe or do is for another day and time.

Thanks, good advice. Thanks.

ALso I realized I am really vulnerable reading your post. Though the lack of money would hurt, this may be the time to cease taking photos at night and stay away from evening walks until the medical pieces of the puzzle are in place and I know more what my future may be.
    Unfortunately, that may be your best way, especially if you are hesitant about other forms of safety.

In all honestly, from what you're saying, a ten year old coming at you is pretty much a disparity of force against you. I don't say that to be mean, but because I've seen my mother go through the same thing, and she thought that she was still much more maneuverable than she was. It took a few scary times for her to realize things had changed. I just don't want to read that your "scary time" was in the face of a mugger or attacker and you were unarmed.

Would you be able to defend yourself if a 13 year old girl ran around you and pushed you in the back? What would happen? Would you go down to the sidewalk, or can you keep your feet and turn to push her off? Also, if you're doctor is checking you out, he has medical records on your condition, which also bodes well for you.

If I was in your condition, I'd do what you said for going out at night, and make SURE I carried during the day, and not a taser. Even the taser linked here has only three shots. What if you're attacked by two people? You have to keep the taser attached to send the charge through the wires, which means you are completely disarmed for the second person coming at you, unless you choose to stop dealing with the first one, and then engage the second... which also means that the first guy is no longer being tased, and might be back up on his feet, and ticked off.

Pepper Spray/Mace . . . your at the mercy of the wind. Stuff can waft right back on you. Also, most of the stuff they sell to the public is weak compared to the police mace. Don't get me wrong, I have mace as well, but it's not always going to stop someone either. (Warning, some swearing . . . it's Navy basic, I believe).
    detective likes this.

Why Limit yourself to one option?

Carry spray and a gun as an example. Praying is the best, IMHO, as no greater power can be appealed.

Feeling a certain way, paranoid, safe, whatever, is irrelevant. What you need to realize is the only thing that matters is, as someone already said, making it home alive.

It sounds like a portion of your livelyhood depends on these night activities. Yes you can choose to not walk at night in an effort to be less vulnerable. But where do we, as a civilization draw the line? Do we let others conceivable actions influence our existence to the point we have to change our behaviors to the extent of it impacting the freeness of our will so as to exert a certain amount of paradoxical control over our lives?

I say live your life, live it the way you see fit, through faith, and don't be afraid to do so. If the need arrises, stand in Righteous Indignation.

"I have no time for those that possess fear."
    detective likes this.

GH
    Being paranoid is healthy. That heightens your situational awareness. You're definitely a victim-in-waiting. The weak & infirm are targets for thugs. Your camera equipment is very inviting & easy to unload for $. Not only should you arm yourself you should carry pepper spray, an extremely bright flashlight, a loud noise-maker & a partner or two - never go solo. What you have to do to defend yourself is totally up to you & if it's the extreme use of force then so be it.

Stay safe & maybe take up a new hobby until you can get healthy again. If you can't then you'll have to realize your limitations, something I've been doing since I was your age with a bad back. That's an extremely hard thing to do with 27 years of hard-core military service. Fortunately my state of WI has a Stand Your Ground law. I couldn't run away to avoid conflict if my life depended on it.
    detective likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    I can feel your pain. I have an arthritic hip and herniated disc in my lower back. Running or hand to hand fighting isn't really a viable option anymore. I now carry a cane, even when I don't need it. while not a so called "lethal" weapon, it will slow someone down if used between the legs or across the knees or shins. Now if there is more than 1 person, or a weapon is in use by them, well I carry 16+1 good reasons for persuading them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you have the bucks HIRE A BODYGUARD during your night shoots.
    perfection, detective and Hopyard like this.

While I understand the reluctance to shoot an unarmed attacker (I don't WANT to shoot anyone) I would encourage you to divorce yourself from this mindset with great urgency. An unarmed man can still be very lethal. You may wish to consult with an attorney familiar with the laws of your locality as they concern the application of lethal force. It was explained to me that in my home state of Ohio I may use lethal force if:

1. I did not cause the situation.
    2. I reasonably believe that another person or I am in immediate danger of serious bodily harm or death.
    3. I have no duty or opportunity to retreat.

We also have a form of Castle Doctrine in Ohio that offers added protections against intruders into the home or vehicles. While these are the laws of my state and they may not apply in exactly this way in New York, I hope you can see that:

1. None of these duties necessitate that the attacker be armed. I can legally shoot an unarmed man if I believe he immediately threatens me with serious bodily harm or death.
    2. It would be worth your time to obtain an understanding of the law within your own home state. In most states these laws will be covered in any decent concealed carry course.

Please note that I am not an attorney and none of the above constitutes legal advice. You should always consult with an attorney familiar with your state and local laws before obtaining a lethal weapon.
    detective likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links