Defensive Carry banner

self employed carry?

3K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  kentuckycarry 
#1 ·
I'm self employed and I'm in other peoples house's all day. My clients are mostly "upper class" ,doctors etc. Many of my customers I've had for 10-15 years, so its like i'm friends with lots of them. They stop and talk to me in Walmart etc. Its usually the wives that are home ( and only her, or her with the kids) if anyone is home at all while i'm there. I only began carrying last week, but know i can't carry in these peoples houses. If i were to be discovered carrying, it would probably ruin my business because nearly all of my business comes from referals which means its one friend refering me to another, news would travel fast. So i leave my gun locked in my truck.
I remember about 9 years ago i added onto my house and the plumber ( kinda rough guy ) carried a 25 auto on his side under his shirt. i dont know if he had a permit , but i believe permits were available at the time in Ky. He said it was moslty for snakes under the house ( yeah right ), anyway Ididnt feel threatended by it at all and thought very little about it. But that was me, not a woman home by herself with me in her home. Wondering how many other people are in my situation. I've seen lots on here about taking guns to work, but nothing about my situation..

#2 ·
I occasionally do some side jobs in peoples homes. I carry and keep it concealed. I understand your concern, but they have no business knowing what you are carrying whether it be a wallet or a gun. You mentioned that you just started carrying last week. That is probably some of your issue. It takes a good 6 months of constitent carry to really get used to it. I know I worried for the longest time that someone would notice, but nobody ever did. I think in reality most people don't really pay attention to what other folks are doing.

#4 ·
I'm wondering why it is that you would feel that you're somehow safer in someone else's house and not carry there. It would seem that in that environment you would want to be prepared.

You don't have to worry about getting fired for carrying, since you're the boss, so I'd carry, and mention it to nobody. Even if you strike up a conversation with a customer who is a pro-gun shooter, don't tell.

Carry discreetly and you'll be just fine with business, and be much safer.

#5 ·
I understand your thinking and it is probably to be expected at this stage. I am self employed but have the luxury of for most part working from office at home. If I do finish up in someone's house for some computer oriented matter - I will be carrying as usual and if I feel I might have to shed my cover garment will decide in advance to pack small in pocket.

In your case - if you feel that you have the confidence and responsibility to be carrying in the first place then to quote the much used adage - ''concealed is concealed''. All that means is having a carry regimen that is as foolproof as you can make it.

If you do not consider yourself a risk to third parties - even long time customers then - that is what counts providing your concealement is good. You trust yourself.

Only exception that might apply is if for some reason a homeowner made it very clear they had no wish to have a gun in the house - in which case you should be considering honoring that.

#6 ·
Think Of The Challenge...

Can you do 20 more years without anyone knowing that you carry? You might just save the life of one of your customers...that could actually be a word of mouth 'business boom'.

Stay armed...

OMO

ret:urla9ub:

#7 ·
Maybe carring a smaller gun would make you fell better. As a former service plumber I was in about five different homes per day. Though I didn't carry at the time I would now but probably a little Kel-Tec or something simular. My G23 would probably be discovered sooner or later.

#8 ·
[
PHP:
QUOTE=JimmyC;237589]I'm wondering why it is that you would feel that you're somehow safer in someone else's house and not carry there.  It would seem that in that environment you would want to be prepared.

You don't have to worry about getting fired for carrying, since you're the boss, so I'd carry, and mention it to nobody.  Even if you strike up a conversation with a customer who is a pro-gun shooter, don't tell.
'
i understand being prepared, but i also understand the way some people freak out at the thought of a gun in their house. Some people will not allow it even for home protection. Some are totally and uncondionally against guns. I can just hear the response from some of them if i was discovered ," why would you feel the need to have a gun in MY house?, Get the hell out of my house". Its just the way some people are. Some people believe it will never happen to them or that if it does God will take care of them. Others just plain believe guns kill people.This is dealing with the general public in their beliefs and in their own homes.
I do believe I can conceal well enough not to get caught, but the thought of being busted could really put a damper on my business if the right person discovered me..Alot of people just wouldnt get the concept..Guns are dangerous and thats all they know.....

#9 ·
I am self employed and carry every day. Most of my new (good) business also comes from referals. I don't go to my clients home (well rarely do), but I do go into some of their businesses as often as weekly.

I choose to carry an iwb tuckable holster that allows me to wear whatever I want all year round. No one can tell that I carry. I don't worry about what my clients will think because there is a 99.9% chance they will never find out about it.

As for being fired, yes you can be fired, although not by a boss, but your clients can definately fire you for carry or whatever reason they see fit, some fail to realize that.

Take your time, find a holster, or other method of carry that is comfortable, and not a blatant (i carry a gun) method for you. Wear it after hours, on the weekends etc, until your comfortable with it then work it into your workday routine.

#10 ·
I'm also self employed doing tech work and networking. While I work primarily for businesses I do the ocasional residentail but only for by business customers home systems. I wont think twice about carrying as most of my customers are hunters or into guns anyway. The owner of an Insurance ageny that I work with has his CCW and packs a 9mm with him, and I do work for the local Police Dept (Although I wouldnt carry while in there). Also I do alot of work for attorneys and judges and there into guns, One Judge keeps a .357 in his desk drawer just in case. My customers know that I'm pretty well grounded. My office is down in the rougher area of town and I'm there alot at night and do onsite work at night also. Knowing the reaction time of LEO around here I'd be dead and rotting before they showed up in an emergency. Once a customer left the alarm on when I was scheduled to be down there one night and it went off after I walked in. It was about 10:00pm and it took the cops 30 minutes to arrive. When they did show up I was standing out back and they pulled up and all I said was "I'm the computer guy and they forgot and left the alarm on, I've called them and there on the way to turn it off" The cops turned around and left:blink: . Dont sweat it, I think if you were discovered and explained to them that you had undergone training and had a permit to carry they'd be OK with it. If not just leave it in your car when at particular locations and hope for the best.

#11 ·
It's a decision that only you can make. What other people do or think is not really relevant. This is you, your clients, your business, your decision. If you are not comfortable taking your gun into a client's house then don't. If someday you feel comfortable doing so then do.

It's up to you.

#12 ·
Off body carry in case?

You didn't mention what you do in the clients' homes, but perhaps you are in a profession that requires you to carry material with you on the job in a briefcase, computer bag, or the like. If so, you could consider buying a bag with a hidden pocket or holster for the gun, so it would not be on your body where it could be more easily seen.

I often carry a briefcase full of papers, pens, pads, glasses and other gear when I go out on business to call on somebody. I have a special leather briefcase from Coronado Leather that has a hidden pocket with a holster inside, closed by a velcro opening that is nearly invisible. I keep it near me at all times and can draw a gun from it in a couple of seconds - not as fast as a belt holster, but probably fast enough when inside an office or home. Nobody has a clue about the gun I hide there.

Here is a link to the Coronado Leather page on such gear:

Coronado Leather Cases

#14 ·
As far as carrying in a bag or something, the gun would have to be on me.In the summertime I'm down to shorts and a tee. After thinking about it and reading the responses I'm sure i can "smart carry" it, with no problem. All my clients trust me, many arent even home and leave the door open for me. So I'm sure the ones that would understand about carrying would be fine if they busted me.
Someone mentioned carrying a smaller gun, I carry a 642..Thanks for all the comments.

#15 ·
Greg you cheat :)
I run a computer repair/networking company as well. The only time I'm NOT ccw'ing is at one of the two schools I support. One of them I really should carry
(bunch of troubled kids who think jailtime will make them "hard")
Other than those two places, If I'm there...so is my protection.

I have one client that INSISTS that I carry "as many as you can" when I run calls there. They've been robbed @ gunpoint more than once.
Last time I had both 1911s, spare mags and the P3AT on person, and the Glock 30 with two spare mags in my laptop bag....and still ended up calling the cops on some vandals

#16 · (Edited)
I agree with your concerns that being "made" could be devastating for your business... people are really "funny" about firearms... many (most) times to the point of being irrational...

As a self-employed businessman it is not good for business (and it is not the time or place to try to educate the "sheep"). But also, seeing several different people everyday in various places, in various situations also exposes you to more possibility for violent conflict.

I am also self-employed (physician) and it would be bad for my business and the doctor-patient relationship if my patients (&/or colleagues) knew that I was "packing." However, for many reasons I still choose to carry all day everyday. Over time I've just modified my methods & my everyday carry pistol.

I have used a "SmartCarry" and it has worked well. Pretty comfortable for up to a medium sized pistol/revolver but since I quite often sit across from my patients the smartcarry always had my pistol muzzle pointed at my patient. I became increasingly uncomfortable with this because if there was ever an accident and a ND occured... I would be crucified being a doctor. Most likely I'd lose my license (because of public hysteria). If not it would immediately and severely damage my career at the very least. And then there could (most likely would) be criminal and civil charges galore... an attorney's field day, a DA's career move bonus... My malpractice would not cover anything, etc., etc.... Just not worth the risk. I needed another solution...

Now, I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT (.380) in a pocket holster. Rear pocket when seeing patients (no more muzzle exposure), front pocket, jacket pocket or beltchip all other times. I no longer give it a second thought. If there is ever any printing it just looks like a wallet. I feel safe and secure on all fronts now...

#17 ·
I agree with your concerns that being "made" could be devastating for your business... people are really "funny" about firearms... many (most) times to the point of being irrational...

As a self-employed businessman it is not good for business (and it is not the time or place to try to educate the "sheep"). But also, seeing several different people everyday in various places, in various situations also exposes you to more possibility for violent conflict.

Kankujoe, i agree with you 100%. It IS a big deal. especially since all my customers know eachother. One person finds out ( the freaking type ) and all my customers hear about it. Then it is up to them rather to call me back or not. Like i said, i do believe i can carry and not be discovered. I still do feel our situations are a little different though. Being in someones private home alone with the wife, or the wife and kids , gives it just that extra "freakout" factor. But on the other hand, my business comes from reference so the people refering me are saying "yes hes trustworthy he's done work for me for X many years".. I do take it very seriously, and i do believe i'll carry at work............

#18 ·
Concealed is concealed.

I've been self employed for over two years, doing house-calls and plenty of jobs at random businesses. My carry piece and other gear has never been noticed.

I carry anywhere I legally can. You know your situation better than any of us, but really, people aren't looking for a gun on your hip. :smile:

#19 ·
I'm a RE agent and I carry concealed. Every week, we get a little list of all of the bad things that have happened to local agents. It scares the sh!t out of me and I'm 6'3 225lbs. I'm considered an independant contractor but the boss carries too and I introduced him to USPSA:banana: I expect to reimbursed for ammo.

#20 ·
agree

I agree with denderdOn, its your business and you know your clients.

If something happened and they did see it what affect would it have
on your business or better your referrals. I also think it depends
on what part of the country your in. I'm in Massachusetts,
i'm self employed, i'm in homes frequently, in this state a gun
is a foreign object................

JimB

#21 ·
Since i began this thread, Ive carried to work several times. I guess its just gaining confidence in it being "concealed". I used my smart carry and believe its the only way i can carry under the circumstances. I will continue to carry at work......

#23 ·
For the past few months, I have worked providing medical house calls. My patients are elderly, or disabled. I carry all of the time, either my Glock 26 in a pocket holster, or my XD 45 in a fanny pack (not enough cover for an IWB). Some of the neighborhoods that I have to visit are in very bad sections of town. One street, C St, is so bad that I usually see a person hanging out at each corner selling drugs. My first time in the neighborhood, I was cruising up and down 1 block at low speed, trying to find an address. I have finally trained myself to lock the doors when I get in, but that day I had forgotten. I young black man ran up to the side of the car, and opened the passenger side. I sped up, losing the unwanted passenger. While I believe that he was only thinking that I was looking for drugs, I was happy that I had my weapon close at hand.

#25 ·
robere:

I think you're on the right track. Carry everywhere it's legal and keep it concealed (smartcarry is the way I go, too).

No one will find out until and unless it is necessary to use the weapon.

If they are in their home with you when and if the time comes, they will be glad you were there, and glad you could do something besides help the BG tie them up.....

#26 ·
Carry in Customer Homes

I'm an HVAC contractor, so I'm in customer's homes daily, either selling jobs or doing service work. I have carried daily for approximately 6 years. I've never been made and hope I never am. I am in the same situations you are, with the wife or children being the only ones home a lot of the time. My normal carry mode is either a p-32 or 642 in offhand pocket and for the last six weeks, a para 7-45 LDA in an Answer with a button up denim shirt tucked over it with an IWB mag holder on offside also tucked. The only thing different I've done is modified the front Kydex belt loop to hold my cell phone and I use the v-clips for the other two connections with a Bullman 1.5 leather belt with velcro. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with.

#27 ·
As an insurance agent, I'm in and out of various homes, businesses, churches, etc. every day. I carry my Glock 19 either OWB or IWB all the time. Today I have on a corduroy sport coat that covers very well...some days I wear a vest. In the heat of the summer (Texas) I often carry my Glock 26 in a pocket holster in my front pants pocket. I make it a point to purchase pleated pants with large pockets. I've never worried about being made. I recently insured a church that had a day care center. I just left it in the car when I went into the day care center.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.