Defensive Carry banner

concealed weapon vs. concealed firearm

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  tegemu 
#1 ·
I have a question for the forum and I hope this is in the right section. I was reading a thread about concealed weapon vs. concealed firearm. Some state statutes specifically list that a firearm is allowed. Other state laws say that any weapon(knife, dagger, pistol, etc).

From what I have read, an example of this would be Utah and Idaho. In Idaho it is any legal weapon, while in Utah we are limited to firearms.

My question is this: If Idaho honors Utah permits, would a Utah permit holder be able to carry any legal weapon while in Idaho?

Thanks

#2 ·
The thread I think is this one -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17016

And much is covered in that, but regarding your carry question on an out of state permit carry - we have pretty much decided that the rules apply within your state of current (even temporary) occupancy. I forget the thread but we went thru this.

It matters not what your permit of origin state says - you must abide by the rules and regulations of the state you are visiting. Let's put it another way - regard your permit, of whatever origin - as becoming the same regarding statutes as that issued by the state you are currently in.

#3 ·
When In Rome...

follow the Roman CCW permit rules...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#5 ·
As said, follow the rules of the state or jurisdiction you are in.

Very much like your DL. Say your state allows you to make a "right turn on red" but you are out of state somewhere that does not, you will get a ticket if you make a "right on red" even though your DL and even the tags on your car are from a state where it is legal.

#11 ·
+1 to what Exsquidgator said. I've met one guy who took his CCW class taught by an off duty cop and had some seriously bad info. Don't take rumor or "everybody knows" advice. Do the footwork, read the statutes and ask a lawyer if needed. Even the meanings of words in the legal arena can trip up a layman who thinks he's in the right. It's our responsibility to know the facts, not the hearsay! Like the TI used to say in basic (profanity deleted) "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!"

#12 ·
Texas Law

FWIW, Texas law defines the permit as applicable to a handgun only; and it says "the presence" of the handgun must be concealed.

It would indeed be nice if all states had the same laws; but I would not have wanted to wait until that point (which may never come) to have reciprocity. Texas defines its "training" in considerable detail including a module on "conflict resolution"; Colorado simply says "training", and the insrtuctor decides what he wants to teach and how much. I taught the Texas training awhile (39 times) in the late '90's and still feel it is a good idea for people to know a little about the laws around the use of "force" and "deadly force" before carrying a gun.

#13 ·
It would seem to me that if you are in a state that has concealed weapons licenses, like Florida, but your lcense/permit/whatever says concealed firearm, you must abide what your license says. On the other hand, if you are in a state where they have concealed firearm licenses, even if your license says concealed weapon, you can onle carry a firearm. Before you put your opinion to the test, become familiar with the laws of any state you are in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.