concealed weapon vs. concealed firearm

This is a discussion on concealed weapon vs. concealed firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for the forum and I hope this is in the right section. I was reading a thread about concealed weapon vs. ...

Thread: concealed weapon vs. concealed firearm

concealed weapon vs. concealed firearm

I have a question for the forum and I hope this is in the right section. I was reading a thread about concealed weapon vs. concealed firearm. Some state statutes specifically list that a firearm is allowed. Other state laws say that any weapon(knife, dagger, pistol, etc).

From what I have read, an example of this would be Utah and Idaho. In Idaho it is any legal weapon, while in Utah we are limited to firearms.

My question is this: If Idaho honors Utah permits, would a Utah permit holder be able to carry any legal weapon while in Idaho?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    The thread I think is this one -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17016

And much is covered in that, but regarding your carry question on an out of state permit carry - we have pretty much decided that the rules apply within your state of current (even temporary) occupancy. I forget the thread but we went thru this.

It matters not what your permit of origin state says - you must abide by the rules and regulations of the state you are visiting. Let's put it another way - regard your permit, of whatever origin - as becoming the same regarding statutes as that issued by the state you are currently in.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

When In Rome...

follow the Roman CCW permit rules...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Within the boundaries of Tennessee, only if that legal weapon was a handgun. Tennessee issues HCP (Handgun Carry Permit.)
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    As said, follow the rules of the state or jurisdiction you are in.

Very much like your DL. Say your state allows you to make a "right turn on red" but you are out of state somewhere that does not, you will get a ticket if you make a "right on red" even though your DL and even the tags on your car are from a state where it is legal.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

yes. You could carry a knife in Idaho.

Thanks everyone.

The analogy to a driver's license is perfect. The other state recognizes the license, but the laws of the state you are in still apply.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    The thread I think is this one -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17016

And much is covered in that, but regarding your carry question on an out of state permit carry - we have pretty much decided that the rules apply within your state of current (even temporary) occupancy. I forget the thread but we went thru this.

It matters not what your permit of origin state says - you must abide by the rules and regulations of the state you are visiting. Let's put it another way - regard your permit, of whatever origin - as becoming the same regarding statutes as that issued by the state you are currently in.
    yes, and it is so simple I wounder why it keeps coming up. they must cover this item in ccw class.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    yes, and it is so simple I wounder why it keeps coming up. they must cover this item in ccw class.
    I think there's considerable variability in the quality of CCW classes offered. I've had CCW instructors tell me things about FL law that are flat out 3D wrong. I was suprised at the difference between what some people say or what everyone "knows" the law is, and what it actually is (case in point- misinterpretation of "2 step law" which doesn't even exist, and where and how a weapon may kept in your vehicle). For myself, if I needed a CCW class, I'd check around my area b/c there seem to be a lot of well-intentioned but legally misinformed people in my area offering these courses.

Best thing to do is to get educated on your local state laws. In Florida in addition to the state law being on the state's website, there's at least one or more good books written by Fl lawyers specifically on Florida weapons laws. Another point well-taken that I read in a lawyer's book was, "there's what the law says, and then there's what the LEO you're dealing with THINKS the law is". You can run into trouble doing something legal, so it's good to have a plan to deal with that if the LEO who pulls you over thinks you're not legal. I keep a copy of a law book used by a number of police academies in the car with me, and I've practiced the most respectful-sounding line I can about "I know you know the law, but do you mind if we just check?"

I haven't tried to use my permit outside of the state, but I'm not looking forward to mastering the differences in GA and TN state law from FL law. At least with the internet this is much easier to do than it would have been 15 years ago.

+1 to what Exsquidgator said. I've met one guy who took his CCW class taught by an off duty cop and had some seriously bad info. Don't take rumor or "everybody knows" advice. Do the footwork, read the statutes and ask a lawyer if needed. Even the meanings of words in the legal arena can trip up a layman who thinks he's in the right. It's our responsibility to know the facts, not the hearsay! Like the TI used to say in basic (profanity deleted) "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!"
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Texas Law

FWIW, Texas law defines the permit as applicable to a handgun only; and it says "the presence" of the handgun must be concealed.

It would indeed be nice if all states had the same laws; but I would not have wanted to wait until that point (which may never come) to have reciprocity. Texas defines its "training" in considerable detail including a module on "conflict resolution"; Colorado simply says "training", and the insrtuctor decides what he wants to teach and how much. I taught the Texas training awhile (39 times) in the late '90's and still feel it is a good idea for people to know a little about the laws around the use of "force" and "deadly force" before carrying a gun.

It would seem to me that if you are in a state that has concealed weapons licenses, like Florida, but your lcense/permit/whatever says concealed firearm, you must abide what your license says. On the other hand, if you are in a state where they have concealed firearm licenses, even if your license says concealed weapon, you can onle carry a firearm. Before you put your opinion to the test, become familiar with the laws of any state you are in.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Links